Calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalynnj12

Original Poster
Hello! I have not yet bought any calcium to dust my crickets with. I feed the crickets flukers orange cubes but i’m not sure that this product has enough (or any at all) calcium. What calcium do you recommend I buy? Also, should I switch my cricket food? I’ve read some reviews saying it’s not the best food for crickets and I wanna make sure i’m providing my beardie w/ the best crickets I can.

Shinryu

Hatchling Member
Staff member
Lead Writer
Hello! I have not yet bought any calcium to dust my crickets with. I feed the crickets flukers orange cubes but i’m not sure that this product has enough (or any at all) calcium. What calcium do you recommend I buy? Also, should I switch my cricket food? I’ve read some reviews saying it’s not the best food for crickets and I wanna make sure i’m providing my beardie w/ the best crickets I can.
I think you may be referring to gut loading crickets. If that's the case, I found a post where a very experienced member of our community discusses how he gut loads his crickets to make them more nutritious for his beardie.

For dusting the crickets before offering to your beardie, I would recommend Repashy Calcium Plus -- it's an all in one calcium and vitamin supplement.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

You're right, the orange cubes really aren't the best food items for the crickets. Plus, they turn your dragons poo weird colors when the crickets have ate the cubes. Best to stick to carrots and potatoes for crickets (or what other cricket breeding guides say).

You don't necessarily need to feed the crickets high calcium diets. This can actually be bad for the cricket. Dusting the crickets with a calcium powder prior to feeding them to your dragon is sufficient.

-Brandon

avalynnj12

Original Poster
I think you may be referring to gut loading crickets. If that's the case, I found a post where a very experienced member of our community discusses how he gut loads his crickets to make them more nutritious for his beardie.

For dusting the crickets before offering to your beardie, I would recommend Repashy Calcium Plus -- it's an all in one calcium and vitamin supplement.
I ended up buying the supplement you recommended off amazon but have not yet had the chance to use it. So does this also contain the D3 they need? Or do I need to buy that separate? Is it safe for me to dust all the crickets I feed him with this powder or do I need to limit the amount? and should i wait to dust the crickets until i am ready to feed them to my dragon, or is it okay for them to all be dusted at the same time & fed over multiple days after dusting?

avalynnj12

Original Poster
Hi there,

You're right, the orange cubes really aren't the best food items for the crickets. Plus, they turn your dragons poo weird colors when the crickets have ate the cubes. Best to stick to carrots and potatoes for crickets (or what other cricket breeding guides say).

You don't necessarily need to feed the crickets high calcium diets. This can actually be bad for the cricket. Dusting the crickets with a calcium powder prior to feeding them to your dragon is sufficient.

-Brandon
Thanks for your help! So would you recommend dusting during every cricket feeding? Or should I limit it? Right now, he is young so I give him crickets twice a day (usually he will eat around 15-30. sometimes even more… i’ve started to limit it to however many he can eat in 10 minutes.) & collard greens with carrots (occasionally i add blueberries) once a day. should i change any of this?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dusting with calcium 5x a week is sufficient. So if you are doing multiple feedings per day, only 1 of the feedings in a day would be dusted. Remember, 5x a week, not 5 days a week.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom