Calcium Sand or Play Sand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWaveCarver

Hatchling Member
should i use sand with calcium in it or play sand. My bearded dragon enjoys a more natural substrate then carpet. I am thinking about slate tiles but i heard bearded dragons naturally live on sand as well as clay and rocks.

EmJagsz

Juvie Member
How old is your beardie? Sand isn't recommended for babies or juvies for the obvious impaction risks. If you have an adult beardie and it is your preference to keep it on sand, carefully washed play sand would be the best choice. I would urge your choice on tiles, though. Keeping beardies on sand is like keeping them in a litter box, and bacteria spreads quickly in those conditions. Also in the wild they rarely come into contact with sand, most of the terrain they encounter is clay and rocks like you said. I vote tiles :mrgreen:

Nikki1292

I keep my bearded Gizmo on repti-carpet so the I don't have to worry about the harmful risks with any kind of sand. But if your looking for something more natural, tile might be a good choice. And if you want to make it look interesting or something, make half the tank tile and the other half or so sand. My boyfriend did that for his beardie and the little guy goes on the sand to bask on his rock and the side with the tiles to cool off. Just a thought :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom