Calcium Citrate with D3 - has this been evaluated for Bearded Dragons or other reptiles?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's all the same element, the difference is there is much lower available calcium in calcium citrate then there is in calcium carbonate, which is why most reptile powders use carbonate.

You'd likely have to increase dusting frequency/amount if using a citrate product.

-Brandon

nino

Original Poster
It's all the same element, the difference is there is much lower available calcium in calcium citrate then there is in calcium carbonate, which is why most reptile powders use carbonate.

You'd likely have to increase dusting frequency/amount if using a citrate product.

-Brandon
Yet, my understanding is that CaCit is much more bioavailable than CaCO3.
That's why I was asking if anyone knows of a published scientific article on this type of (CaCit+D3) product for reptiles.

nino

Original Poster
After evaluating this information, I now post a more specific question:
What are the names of scientific journals which publish articles on reptile dietary research, and can those journals be searched on-line?
Thank you.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was asking if anyone knows of a published scientific article on this type of (CaCit+D3) product for reptiles.
I'm not aware of any. However, it would need to be 2x more bioavailable than carbonate as Calcium carbonate has nearly 2x more elemental Calcium in it than Calcium citrate.

While less bioavailable than citrate, carbonate is more than sufficient for the needs of our dragons, as can be clearly evident by urates in over supplemented dragons.

Curiously, are you asking because you have some citrate you want to try, or you are just curious about it.

- Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
After evaluating this information, I now post a more specific question:
What are the names of scientific journals which publish articles on reptile dietary research, and can those journals be searched on-line?
Thank you.
There are some you can find online, many are going to be on reptiles in general, few on bearded dragons specifically. All the ones I've found throughout the years have been through various google searches on specific topics.

There really is no one stop shop for them like there is for human nutritional data.

-Brandon

nino

Original Poster
There are some you can find online, many are going to be on reptiles in general, few on bearded dragons specifically. All the ones I've found throughout the years have been through various google searches on specific topics.

There really is no one stop shop for them like there is for human nutritional data.

-Brandon
Friend MS UCDavis in animal behavior research just suggested the following query for my questions:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&q=reptile+diets+veterinarian+guide&btnG=
It follows that https://scholar.google.com/scholar can lead anyone to credible scientific data.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom