Calcium, calcium d3 and vitamins

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmariet47

I have a three month old beardie and there is so much take about when to give calcium, calcium d3 and vitamins. How much should I be giving of each?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not an exact amount, I think that's why you see so much variation between recommendations. The goal of the supplements is to enhance feeder bugs with minerals and vitamins that they typically have in the wild but don't when they are raised in captivity. Just a light even coat of the supplement on the bugs at each meal should do the trick. You can offer plain calcium most days and they some vitamins instead of the calcium once or twice a week. This becomes less frequent as they get older and start eating more veges. Salads don't need to be supplemented because they are already rich in nutrients.

Offering D3 is recommended when using lower output bulbs such as a T8 or compact UVB. With the higher output bulbs such as a T5 tube or a good mercury vapor bulb, they should produce enough UVB to allow for a dragon to synthesize D3 naturally - so plain calcium without or with low amounts of D3 is recommended.

To simplify things, you can just dust with an all-in-one option like Repashy Calcium Plus. That should be balanced enough to use regularly. Otherwise, plain calcium most days and substitute a multivitamin once or twice a week should do the trick.

kmariet47

Original Poster
I love this response, a lot of info! Thank you! I was also wondering is a T5 uvb and a mercury vapor preferred? Because right now I have the T8 and a regular basking bulb?
Also, my beardie is a juvenile so I feed her three times a day; I start with greens, then later I give BFSL and after that baby dubia. I don’t dust the BFSL because they are higher in calcium but should I dust bugs such as dubia even on days where I feed the BFSL?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The type of bulbs you use kind of depends on the size of your enclosure. A T8 fixture with a 10.0 / 12% bulb is appropriate for something like a 20g or 20g long enclosure or for a setup in which you have the UVB mounted close (6-8'') to the basking zone. A T5 fixture with a 5.0 / 6% bulb provides similar output and can be used at 6-8'' and then the bulb upgraded later to provide higher output.

I generally recommend using a larger enclosure from the start and use the higher power T5 10.0/12% set at around 12'' above the basking zone. I prefer using MVBs in portable lights used for free range time and for travel. I like using a halogen or incandescent flood bulb for basking heat so I can change the heat independently from the UVB by raising/lowering the bulb, dimming, or changing wattage.

2-3 meals per day is good for a juvenile. Starting with greens is also a good plan. I don't bother dusting BSFL either but I do dust any other bugs I offer. You're on the right track with that.

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
It's not an exact amount, I think that's why you see so much variation between recommendations. The goal of the supplements is to enhance feeder bugs with minerals and vitamins that they typically have in the wild but don't when they are raised in captivity. Just a light even coat of the supplement on the bugs at each meal should do the trick. You can offer plain calcium most days and they some vitamins instead of the calcium once or twice a week. This becomes less frequent as they get older and start eating more veges. Salads don't need to be supplemented because they are already rich in nutrients.

Offering D3 is recommended when using lower output bulbs such as a T8 or compact UVB. With the higher output bulbs such as a T5 tube or a good mercury vapor bulb, they should produce enough UVB to allow for a dragon to synthesize D3 naturally - so plain calcium without or with low amounts of D3 is recommended.

To simplify things, you can just dust with an all-in-one option like Repashy Calcium Plus. That should be balanced enough to use regularly. Otherwise, plain calcium most days and substitute a multivitamin once or twice a week should do the trick.
@CooperDragon I have an Arcadia 12% and a 5 month old dragon. Do you think I should do the D3 just a couple times a week or not at all? If I order the Repashy Calcium Plus, does it have D3 in it?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't usually bother with D3 using the Arcadia 12% T5 but I do have some of the Repashy Calcium Plus which is low D3 which is OK to use sometimes. I typically use SuperCal noD and switch in some Supervite once in a while. My dragon is an adult though and really only gets bugs once a week or so (with occasional snacks in between).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom