Calci/Vita-Sand Facts Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking around this site. Everyone is always telling newbies that sand, even Calci-sand is bad, bad, bad! And yet I've got a bearded dragon manual by Philip Purser that says he's been keeping beardies on fine sand (not calcium carbonate) for 20 years and never once has one of them had an impaction. So, I'd like anyone who actually has HAD a beardie who got impacted from calcium carbonate sand to post their stories here. No secondhand accounts, please.

smurfthebeardie

Juvie Member
I haven't had it happen, but I saw firsthand what happened to another dragon at the vet's... They were keeping it on calcium sand. It's hind legs were paralyzed and the area above its hips was swollen badly. Plus it was extremely sluggish, and hadn't been eating or pooping. Not exactly firsthand, but certainly closer than I would ever want to be.

I also have a book that says sand is okay. However my book was published in 1998, and was printed in 2001. Check to see how outdated the information is. My book also says that red is a difficult morph color to come by, and that breeders are just starting to get hints of red. As the bloods as evidence the book is outdated.

tigereye37

Yes, please post a few factual stories that are not here-say or friend of a friend.... Especially related to the use of vitasand etc...

saintgeorge

Original Poster
Wow. It's been nearly three weeks. This means that either beardies only rarely/never get impacted from this stuff, or people haven't been noticing this discussion. So...
**bump**

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
No it doesnt really mean that at all.Now I can tell you that my first beardie was originally on calcium sand and he did indeed suffer from a partial impaction and was pooping out sand for over a yearbut besides the risks of impaction there are other risks as well.Calcium sand also can cause hypercalcemia from too much calcium absorption which caused organ damage.This can be just a life threatening as suffering from MBD(caused by low calcium).Also it is far easier to get parasite infestations from partical substrate as well.Also it has a tendency to get in the nostrils and eyes which poses risks for infection and corneal scratches.The last issue is cosmetic which is that if you use a colored sand your beardie will become that color and it wont wash off.The only way to remove it is for him or her to shed it off.I do want to point out there is a BIG differance between calcium sand and fine sifted playsand which is what is recommended in that book you refered to.You can use playsand with large juvies and adults,however you should never use a partical substarte for babies younger juvies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom