Burnt keratin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volga

Hello,
My bearded dragon had been shedding lately. I've noticed one half of his spikes fell down. There are about 3 or 4 others that seems dark and lightly torn. I have the feeling they will fall too and this bothers me. Thinking this was a retained shed problem, I put him in a bath and did the greatest mistake ever by gently pulling a little bit of skin that was lose at his beard. Everything got removed just fine. But then some strange black spot locally appeared. I assume it is burnt keratin from a spot that wasn't ready to shed. I've truly learnt my lesson to never do that again... (I know we should never pull at skin.) :c

It doesn't seem to hurt him at least and the feeling is not that different from the normal scales. I've put neosporin for extra measure. My question is if you guys think the black spot will turn back normal or will the spikes fall down at this spot? Anybody experienced this problem before? I've got tell it looks like some sort of bruise and this is not fungus. It wasn't there before and it literally appeared a few seconds after I removed the shed. :|

First picture is to show the dark thorn spikes at the side of the beard:

50bc1431e1241c480c46aaa3cc35729d.png

The black spot:

72fb6e0b88c6b082600d633d2090d7f2.png

Thank you for your help I really am concerned... :c

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So you pulled a patch of unshed skin from there ? You can put some raw unpasteurized honey on, it's a powerful antimicrobial and wound healer. If you use it just be sure there are no loose insects in the tank.

Volga

Original Poster
AHBD":35dul04g said:
So you pulled a patch of unshed skin from there ? You can put some raw unpasteurized honey on, it's a powerful antimicrobial and wound healer. If you use it just be sure there are no loose insects in the tank.

The whole beard was unshed but there was an opening and so I lightly pulled because I was scared it was retained shed due to one spike falling off for no reason (that was before I pulled the shed). There was no resistance. Then this appeared after a few minutes. :/
So the black bruise will disappear, is it what you think?
I applied some unpasteurized honey as you told me, let's see what it gives.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It should heal fine. And yes, it's always best to let the shed come off naturally, and they can take a looooong while sometimes.

Volga

Original Poster
AHBD":khupm09q said:
It should heal fine. And yes, it's always best to let the shed come off naturally, and they can take a looooong while sometimes.

Alright. Thank you very much!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I actually have a friend who did the exact same thing and then freaked out and called me over to his apartment because he was sure he was going to get an infection. His adult Dragon was shedding his entire head/face/beard/neck, and pretty much all of the shed had already come off except for the shed around his horns/spikes. So he thought it was ready, he pulled the shed off of the spikes/horns, and he said the same thing, "It came right off with no issue and the skin that came off looked like it was dead and ready to come off", but then he noticed a tiny bit of blood right after he did it, and the next day or two is when the spikes/horns that he pulled the skin off of turned black in several spots, and the horns/spikes did exactly what you're describing, they "fell over", or shrunk down...He had started with Betadine and Neosporin twice a day, but then after he called me over he switched to the Raw, Unpasteurized Honey once a day.

The Raw, Unpasteurized Honey totally healed up the areas and his Dragon didn't get any type of infection at all, however, don't be surprised if they don't all come back looking "normal"; he was really bugging me because even after the spikes healed up they stayed dark in color and also stayed "fallen", or I would describe them as having their tips/points bent...I told him to wait until his Dragon shed the area again, obviously don't touch it again, lol, and they would probably go back to normal after they shed again...And some did, but some didn't. That was in 2015, his Dragon was I believe 2 years old at that point, so now he's about 5, and he still has a few horns/spikes that are odd looking and that stayed kind of "floppy" and black...But the important thing, as I told him, is that his Dragon is fine, no infections, no problems, just like when they get Tail Rot and have to have their tails amputated; Yes they look different, but they are healthy and alive...He got all bent out of shape because he got his Dragon from "Fire and Ice" Dragons and he cost like $500...oye.

Volga

Original Poster
EllenD":3hyygcaw said:
I actually have a friend who did the exact same thing and then freaked out and called me over to his apartment because he was sure he was going to get an infection. His adult Dragon was shedding his entire head/face/beard/neck, and pretty much all of the shed had already come off except for the shed around his horns/spikes. So he thought it was ready, he pulled the shed off of the spikes/horns, and he said the same thing, "It came right off with no issue and the skin that came off looked like it was dead and ready to come off", but then he noticed a tiny bit of blood right after he did it, and the next day or two is when the spikes/horns that he pulled the skin off of turned black in several spots, and the horns/spikes did exactly what you're describing, they "fell over", or shrunk down...He had started with Betadine and Neosporin twice a day, but then after he called me over he switched to the Raw, Unpasteurized Honey once a day.

The Raw, Unpasteurized Honey totally healed up the areas and his Dragon didn't get any type of infection at all, however, don't be surprised if they don't all come back looking "normal"; he was really bugging me because even after the spikes healed up they stayed dark in color and also stayed "fallen", or I would describe them as having their tips/points bent...I told him to wait until his Dragon shed the area again, obviously don't touch it again, lol, and they would probably go back to normal after they shed again...And some did, but some didn't. That was in 2015, his Dragon was I believe 2 years old at that point, so now he's about 5, and he still has a few horns/spikes that are odd looking and that stayed kind of "floppy" and black...But the important thing, as I told him, is that his Dragon is fine, no infections, no problems, just like when they get Tail Rot and have to have their tails amputated; Yes they look different, but they are healthy and alive...He got all bent out of shape because he got his Dragon from "Fire and Ice" Dragons and he cost like $500...oye.

Wow thank you so much for sharing me your friend's experience and help! I feel less anxious. My biggest worry was that this black patch would end up falling with scales or hurting him but it doesn't seem to. I thought at first it was necrosis. :/ He is healthy and eating fine out of this so I am very glad he is okay overall. I knew he could get injured if the skin is being pulled but I didn't know it would happen even when there is no resistance in the skin. It is the first time I've 'helped' him tho but it is only the second time he sheds since I have him. I've learned a lot that day about shedding. I hope it will heal fast.

Thank you again! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom