Bumpy tail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrasaur

Original Poster
I've had my bearded dragon since December 2019. Just yesterday, I noticed his tail is a little bumpy. I've tried using Google, but there seems to be lot of possibilities of what it might be - from MBD to over-calcification to it could just be something he was born with (which I can confirm it isn't). I'm wondering if this is something I should go to the vet for, something I can can fix on my own, or something I shouldn't worry about at all?

Backgroud Info: He has UVB and I dust his salads 2-3 times a week (with D3). I'll be honest, though, I'm not very good about giving him food regularly. I used to feed him every day, but recently in the past few months, it'll be once every other day to once every 2-3 days. I'm also not very consistent about giving him bugs either. Also, I seriously don't remember when the last time he shed was. He shed all the time as a baby but it seems like after he stopped growing, he hasn't shed since. There's been some patches here and there, but I don't think he's shed his full body since maybe the middle of 2020. And that's about it, I think.

20211107_115839.jpg

Last edited:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

We appreciate you being honest with us. When we know the truth, we are better able to help diagnose what may be the issue, and offer you suggestions on how to improve.

Can you post a full body picture of him too?

Typically, waves in the tail like that are from MBD or some other type of nutrient deficiency. It sounds like you already know that is probably the cause, so the goal at this point is to just prevent it from getting worse. Typically, the waves won't go away. It's a permeant scar so to say.

But, that doesn't mean it's too late to get your beardie back on track to good health.
I would spend some time on the forum looking through different topics here so you can start to get a good idea of what you are going to need to do to make sure your husbandry is up to par. The key items would be proper UV and proper basking surface temperatures.

You also are going to want to be feeding him better and more consistently. I know life can get in the way some times, but this creature relies on you to take care of it.
Giving him a salad every day is a good start. Depending on his age will dictate how often to feed him. But generally, an adult should get bugs about 3x a week, and a growing dragon 5-7 days of the week.

-Brandon

Terrasaur

Original Poster
Hi there,

We appreciate you being honest with us. When we know the truth, we are better able to help diagnose what may be the issue, and offer you suggestions on how to improve.

Can you post a full body picture of him too?

Typically, waves in the tail like that are from MBD or some other type of nutrient deficiency. It sounds like you already know that is probably the cause, so the goal at this point is to just prevent it from getting worse. Typically, the waves won't go away. It's a permeant scar so to say.

But, that doesn't mean it's too late to get your beardie back on track to good health.
I would spend some time on the forum looking through different topics here so you can start to get a good idea of what you are going to need to do to make sure your husbandry is up to par. The key items would be proper UV and proper basking surface temperatures.

You also are going to want to be feeding him better and more consistently. I know life can get in the way some times, but this creature relies on you to take care of it.
Giving him a salad every day is a good start. Depending on his age will dictate how often to feed him. But generally, an adult should get bugs about 3x a week, and a growing dragon 5-7 days of the week.

-Brandon
Thank you for the reply and information. I definitely want what's best for him.

If you notice, he's currently in a 4'2'2' Zen Habitat enclosure. Except, he's only been in for two days. He was previously in a 40 gallon Zoo Med enclosure for probably 16-ish months. In that enclosure, he was six inches away from his UVB lamp (in the basking spot area) and it covered the whole tank. As of now, I'd say the UVB lamp is about a foot away from the highest spot of the basking area, which is the cave you see in the pictures.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.

Attachments

• 20211107_193929.jpg
    20211107_193929.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 20211107_193831.jpg
    20211107_193831.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 20211107_193822.jpg
    20211107_193822.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 108

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

He doesn't look too bad, a bit skinny but not so bad.
Getting him back on a regular diet will do wonders for him.

I'm sure he enjoys the new enclosure! What UVB bulb are you using? With a tank that large, you'll want to be using one of the T5 HO bulbs.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, he doesn't look bad at all. The tail curvature as you mentioned can be a few things from calcium issues or UVB
exposure. Definitely let us know which UVB brand you are using because they are definitely not all the same quality.
How often do you give D3 for him?

Tracie

Terrasaur

Original Poster
I think he actually has a T5 HO 24" Zoo Med lamp and bulb.

Also, it's hard to say, since again I haven't been feeding him consistently, but I usually dust his salads sometimes every other salad or salad after salad. I also dust his crickets with D3 but I haven't had crickets in weeks. Although, a few days ago I bought some superworms and hornworms that are currently growing - I don't dust those.

Thanks again for your guys' help!

Attachments

• 20211108_064926.jpg
    20211108_064926.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 96

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I think he actually has a T5 HO 24" Zoo Med lamp and bulb.

Also, it's hard to say, since again I haven't been feeding him consistently, but I usually dust his salads sometimes every other salad or salad after salad. I also dust his crickets with D3 but I haven't had crickets in weeks. Although, a few days ago I bought some superworms and hornworms that are currently growing - I don't dust those.

Thanks again for your guys' help!
Ok I am gonna chime in here --- you need to get the UVB in the tank --- 12-15 inches w/ a piece of basking decor directly underneath it --- GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot
this stuff works great for hanging - its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture
Next are you getting insects from the pet store--- if you are your better buying on line -- I would recommend getting him some dubia roaches they are a better feeder last longer and easier to care for - set up a 10 gallon aquarium feed them what you feed the dragon although most arent hot on greens but will eat squash sweet potato and fruit - I feed mine dubia food and dubia dew along w/ other things from the dragons food - please dust only the insects that way you know hes getting the supplements -- BSFL are a great staple feeder as well www.symtonbsf.com a nice compliment to the roaches -- order large DO NOT dust them --- you will need a bowl similar to this to keep them in it
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Nutrition Content he needs fresh salads every day -- rinse before serving he will get moisture thru them
horn worms are a great hydrator -- super worms are a good treat worm

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom