Bump On Beardies Chin/Jaw

Hello everyone, My babies name is Rex. I adopted him from someone about an hour away from me in Dec of last year. He has a bump on his jaw that the previous owner claims was evaluated by an exotic vet and was told that it was a cyst. I wasn't too concerned about it since he was acting normal, eating good, exploring, etc. However, it began to get bigger a few months down the road. I brought Rex into my local exotic vet and she told me that it feels like an infection. She then later gave me some antibiotics that I injected into him every 3 days. It didn't do anything. Now I am scheduling a biopsy which will cost about $600. I am very concerned and worried. I just want to know what is going on so I can help him get better. I always wonder if there was something I could've done earlier to prevent this. He is still acting normal but with it growing in size and changing shape, I knew I had to get him seen. I have two other reptiles, they are leopard geckos. All three of them are in their own enclosures so I know that he is not bothered by them at all. He is 365 grams per his last visit at the vet yesterday.

Enclosure: 4ft x 2ft x 2ft PVC
Substrate: Peel and stick tiles (sanded down for grip and sanitized before applying them)
Diet: Mostly greens (mustard, collard, turnip) Some proteins (dubia roaches, superworms, crickets)
Lighting: 150 watt heat lamp (big enclosure, couldn't find a hide big enough to bring him close enough to his heat source so I upped the wattage) UVB: T5 HO 5.0 24" linear bulb.
Temps: Basking - 90F cool side - 78F
Warm and Cool end, hides on both sides. Plenty of enrichment and stuff to climb on. He comes out of his enclosure once to twice a day to run around and lay with me. Please let me know if there is anything I can improve on. Picture is from his old enclosure (75 gallon)

Attachments

• rex.jpg
    rex.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 119

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello everyone, My babies name is Rex. I adopted him from someone about an hour away from me in Dec of last year. He has a bump on his jaw that the previous owner claims was evaluated by an exotic vet and was told that it was a cyst. I wasn't too concerned about it since he was acting normal, eating good, exploring, etc. However, it began to get bigger a few months down the road. I brought Rex into my local exotic vet and she told me that it feels like an infection. She then later gave me some antibiotics that I injected into him every 3 days. It didn't do anything. Now I am scheduling a biopsy which will cost about $600. I am very concerned and worried. I just want to know what is going on so I can help him get better. I always wonder if there was something I could've done earlier to prevent this. He is still acting normal but with it growing in size and changing shape, I knew I had to get him seen. I have two other reptiles, they are leopard geckos. All three of them are in their own enclosures so I know that he is not bothered by them at all. He is 365 grams per his last visit at the vet yesterday.

Enclosure: 4ft x 2ft x 2ft PVC
Substrate: Peel and stick tiles (sanded down for grip and sanitized before applying them)
Diet: Mostly greens (mustard, collard, turnip) Some proteins (dubia roaches, superworms, crickets)
Lighting: 150 watt heat lamp (big enclosure, couldn't find a hide big enough to bring him close enough to his heat source so I upped the wattage) UVB: T5 HO 5.0 24" linear bulb.
Temps: Basking - 90F cool side - 78F
Warm and Cool end, hides on both sides. Plenty of enrichment and stuff to climb on. He comes out of his enclosure once to twice a day to run around and lay with me. Please let me know if there is anything I can improve on. Picture is from his old enclosure (75 gallon)
Where is the UVB? Your screen is going to determine the placement and distance for that bulb- I see your using the 5.0 please change it out to the 10.0 bulb - the 5.0 is more for aquarium use and the 10.0 is for reptiles --- I am going to flag your post to Tracie our vet tech mod on here she can better help you w/ this
@Drache613

nessasimmons

Original Poster
Update: he got the biopsy done and it turns out it was inflammation surrounded by a capsule of scar tissue! Histopathology said it doesn't seem like there is anymore active inflammation. He is healing extremely well and is getting his stitch removed on Nov 9th.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom