Bump on base of tail + uvb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monpetitchou

Beardie name(s)
Falcon
First off, I want to preface this that I have a vet appt next week !

I noticed last week there is this bump at the base of the tail along the spine (first photo). Looking at old photos from January, I don’t think it was there before (tho I never actually felt for it like how I am with this bump). I’m worried it might be MBD but a little confused as to how he would have gotten it (no other symptoms).

We dust his Dubia roaches and superworms once a day with calcium. Once a week we give supplements (tho our vet said it didn’t need to have d3 if he has proper uvb). I do have trouble getting him to eat greens but he does eat a little bit. Whatever is left over I will toss it into my bug bin. We gut load bugs aside from this as well (sweet potato, cucumber, squash, sometimes apple, and then the left over greens) Recently we started also feeding him BSFL (I read those don’t need dusting).

I take him out everyday to get real sun for 20-60 minutes, depending on his mood.

His temps are good and range from 95-109F on the hot side, depending what area you measure.

As for his uvb, the place he likes to bask the most gets the least amount (on the rock wall. See photos) but he does have access to those higher level areas. Aren’t they supposed to be good at self regulating ? I’m not sure why he sticks to the rock wall practically all day. He doesn’t ever use the cool side except when he climbs down to go for a lap (right before he needs to poo).

I’m actually not sure what’s supposed to be the proper way to measure the uvb- do I tilt it towards the light source or straight up ? When I tilt, it shows a higher uv index number than when it’s not tilted. See photos for diff angles / uvi readings

Thoughts / advice appreciated !

Attachments

• 65E85EB2-75A5-4715-A45B-FDC6ABFBF207.jpeg
    65E85EB2-75A5-4715-A45B-FDC6ABFBF207.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 152
  • A92C9D80-372E-4EB4-A3C7-40B5A2F7FC4D.jpeg
    A92C9D80-372E-4EB4-A3C7-40B5A2F7FC4D.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 112
  • C98F9572-E552-4C02-B741-AA441F057A55.jpeg
    C98F9572-E552-4C02-B741-AA441F057A55.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 107
  • 15F9C315-242A-4D61-BBB4-34D030386CA3.jpeg
    15F9C315-242A-4D61-BBB4-34D030386CA3.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 300E0834-9A01-4C6B-9E7C-9476B0E1B662.jpeg
    300E0834-9A01-4C6B-9E7C-9476B0E1B662.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 95
  • B973B648-98CE-4AB0-9FA2-FB04924E9421.jpeg
    B973B648-98CE-4AB0-9FA2-FB04924E9421.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 04A0E16A-5857-4EEA-A1F7-CF9971263C46.jpeg
    04A0E16A-5857-4EEA-A1F7-CF9971263C46.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 104
  • EE388C70-EA4F-4866-8B0F-95CFE2629A74.jpeg
    EE388C70-EA4F-4866-8B0F-95CFE2629A74.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 8C968A06-10C9-408A-887B-A3D0ECF0100A.jpeg
    8C968A06-10C9-408A-887B-A3D0ECF0100A.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 112

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First off, I want to preface this that I have a vet appt next week !

I noticed last week there is this bump at the base of the tail along the spine (first photo). Looking at old photos from January, I don’t think it was there before (tho I never actually felt for it like how I am with this bump). I’m worried it might be MBD but a little confused as to how he would have gotten it (no other symptoms).

We dust his Dubia roaches and superworms once a day with calcium. Once a week we give supplements (tho our vet said it didn’t need to have d3 if he has proper uvb). I do have trouble getting him to eat greens but he does eat a little bit. Whatever is left over I will toss it into my bug bin. We gut load bugs aside from this as well (sweet potato, cucumber, squash, sometimes apple, and then the left over greens) Recently we started also feeding him BSFL (I read those don’t need dusting).

I take him out everyday to get real sun for 20-60 minutes, depending on his mood.

His temps are good and range from 95-109F on the hot side, depending what area you measure.

As for his uvb, the place he likes to bask the most gets the least amount (on the rock wall. See photos) but he does have access to those higher level areas. Aren’t they supposed to be good at self regulating ? I’m not sure why he sticks to the rock wall practically all day. He doesn’t ever use the cool side except when he climbs down to go for a lap (right before he needs to poo).

I’m actually not sure what’s supposed to be the proper way to measure the uvb- do I tilt it towards the light source or straight up ? When I tilt, it shows a higher uv index number than when it’s not tilted. See photos for diff angles / uvi readings

Thoughts / advice appreciated !
I am not exactly sure what the bump is so I am going to flag your post about that -- I would however get a piece of basking decor directly under the bulbs if you can both the UVB and the basking--- if your UVB is a T 5 depending on the screen will determine where the UVB needs to be placed along w/ distance
@AHBD
@Drache613

Monpetitchou

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Falcon
I am not exactly sure what the bump is so I am going to flag your post about that -- I would however get a piece of basking decor directly under the bulbs if you can both the UVB and the basking--- if your UVB is a T 5 depending on the screen will determine where the UVB needs to be placed along w/ distance
@AHBD
@Drache613
We do have a basking spot directly underneath the uvb and the other basking bulb 🤔 he just chooses to go to the wall each time !

The uvb is not above the mesh - it’s inside the tank. We have a 10.0 t5 HO reptisun

Attachments

• D2923B51-3CF0-4F8A-AAB6-70C83826601B.jpeg
    D2923B51-3CF0-4F8A-AAB6-70C83826601B.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 83

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We do have a basking spot directly underneath the uvb and the other basking bulb 🤔 he just chooses to go to the wall each time !

The uvb is not above the mesh - it’s inside the tank. We have a 10.0 t5 HO reptisun
Ok sounds good - distance for that bulb should be 12-15 inches --- the bump should be addressed by the two that I flagged to -

Monpetitchou

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Falcon
Ok but My original post asked about measuring the UVI - should I be tilting the solar meter (towards the light source) or should it be pointed straight up ? Where he likes to bask the most (on the wall), if I point it straight up there’s an area where it’s too low (but a few other areas on the wall are a bit higher). If I tilt it then it gets to the minimum uv index that dragons need

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok but My original post asked about measuring the UVI - should I be tilting the solar meter (towards the light source) or should it be pointed straight up ? Where he likes to bask the most (on the wall), if I point it straight up there’s an area where it’s too low (but a few other areas on the wall are a bit higher). If I tilt it then it gets to the minimum uv index that dragons need
I am sorry I cant help you w/ that --- I am going to have CooperDragon help w/ that -- :)
@CooperDragon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually tilt the reader so that it's facing the light source, even if it's at an angle. You'll notice that a dragon will prop up, pancake out, and tilt toward a light source when in full basking mode, so it makes sense to me that the reading should similarly be taken facing directly toward the light source. Based on the reading in your other post, it sounds like your UVB output is just right.

As far as the bump goes, I'm not sure what that is. Does it feel hard or soft to the touch? It looks like it's right along the spine so it's certainly worth looking into further. An x-ray and/or fluid sample might be a good idea. It doesn't seem prominent in all of the photos. Does it stay the same size? I'd keep a close eye on it and take frequent photos for comparison and see if it is changing shape or size over time.

Monpetitchou

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Falcon
I usually tilt the reader so that it's facing the light source, even if it's at an angle. You'll notice that a dragon will prop up, pancake out, and tilt toward a light source when in full basking mode, so it makes sense to me that the reading should similarly be taken facing directly toward the light source. Based on the reading in your other post, it sounds like your UVB output is just right.

As far as the bump goes, I'm not sure what that is. Does it feel hard or soft to the touch? It looks like it's right along the spine so it's certainly worth looking into further. An x-ray and/or fluid sample might be a good idea. It doesn't seem prominent in all of the photos. Does it stay the same size? I'd keep a close eye on it and take frequent photos for comparison and see if it is changing shape or size over time.

We went to the vet yesterday ! This was her response : in terms of his tail base, I think you are feeling normal boney structures. The vertebrae within the tail have transverse processes, which are pieces of bone that stick out on either side. The tail then meets the pelvis. The base of the tail also houses the reproductive organs (hemipenes) in males which can look/feel like a small bulge. During my examination, I did not feel anything abnormal along the back, pelvis, or tail. There is no evidence of any MBD lesions that I can see. Usually, with MBD we see decreased bone quality and pathologic fractures rather than bumps. When there is a spinal abnormality sometimes there is an abnormal arch to the back or a fracture, but I do not see this with Falcon. With excessive vitamin D3 and calcium we can see proliferation of bone.

So while she didn’t take X-rays bc to her it is a normal part of his anatomy, I still will def keep my eye on it. When I move my finger across it, I guess it feels harder like bone

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's encouraging then. If it's just natural bone structure, then it should stay pretty much the same over time. There is also a fat storage area at the base of the tail that may increase/decrease that could change the appearance of the area a bit as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom