Bump and infection

BallPythonNut53

I don't post very often so if this isn't the right place feel free to move it or let me know what is the right place.

I wanted to post this mainly because of what ended up happening. I'm including pictures, these are from the beginning of July. What other beardie owners need to know is that the bump turned out to be an abscess, and the inside of his mouth, by his teeth, was redder (like more the color of blood than the pink you see in the pictures, I couldn't get a good angle on it at the time), more inflamed than the normal pink you'd see. When we took him to a vet in August, they didn't properly diagnose it and suggested antibiotic ointment and to monitor for if it got bigger. A few weeks ago it was getting worse - he had a discharge on the edges of his mouth, he was less interested in food, and we took him to a different vet who knew what it was right away and prescribed oral antibiotics mostly because of the infection. They also cut and drained the abscess.

He passed away over the weekend, probably because it wasn't caught and treated soon enough and had probably already spread. By the time we started treating it, he'd probably had both the abscess and the bump for about 4-5 months. He was less than 3 years old.

If you look in your beardie's mouth and it's red and inflamed, please, please take them to a vet that specializes in reptiles and ask them to fully look in their mouth. If you see an abrupt bump like the one below, an abscess is one possibility and from what I can find, those need to be drained so they don't become infected.
If you go to a vet and they don't seem to know what they're doing, you have that gut feeling and you're like "hm I don't know about what they're telling me this feels off" don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

IMG_1811.jpg
IMG_1799.jpg
IMG_1798.jpg
IMG_1797.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I don't post very often so if this isn't the right place feel free to move it or let me know what is the right place.

I wanted to post this mainly because of what ended up happening. I'm including pictures, these are from the beginning of July. What other beardie owners need to know is that the bump turned out to be an abscess, and the inside of his mouth, by his teeth, was redder (like more the color of blood than the pink you see in the pictures, I couldn't get a good angle on it at the time), more inflamed than the normal pink you'd see. When we took him to a vet in August, they didn't properly diagnose it and suggested antibiotic ointment and to monitor for if it got bigger. A few weeks ago it was getting worse - he had a discharge on the edges of his mouth, he was less interested in food, and we took him to a different vet who knew what it was right away and prescribed oral antibiotics mostly because of the infection. They also cut and drained the abscess.

He passed away over the weekend, probably because it wasn't caught and treated soon enough and had probably already spread. By the time we started treating it, he'd probably had both the abscess and the bump for about 4-5 months. He was less than 3 years old.

If you look in your beardie's mouth and it's red and inflamed, please, please take them to a vet that specializes in reptiles and ask them to fully look in their mouth. If you see an abrupt bump like the one below, an abscess is one possibility and from what I can find, those need to be drained so they don't become infected.
If you go to a vet and they don't seem to know what they're doing, you have that gut feeling and you're like "hm I don't know about what they're telling me this feels off" don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

View attachment 75326 View attachment 75327 View attachment 75328 View attachment 75329
:( Always hard to swallow when vets don't know what they are doing-- and you trusting their judgement - I am sorry about your dragon-

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Man im sorry to hear that, my condolences for you and your family. He was a handsome boy.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom