Bulb question

Pumpkingirl

Hey guys!

Good news, I purchased a new beardie from a reputable breeding company and she will be shipped here next week! So I finally came to terms with the fact I should get the long tube UVB. But I’m confused about mounting it.. do I need a hood? Or a fixture? Or can I just mount the bulb on command hooks inside the tank?

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
It depends on the type of bulb you get (what brand, T5 or T8, 5.0 or 10.0), and the height of your tank. You can list those info and experienced owners on the forum can help you figure that out :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It should come in a fixture, the t5 10.0 should be ok on top of the screen at 13 inches.

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
It should come in a fixture, the t5 10.0 should be ok on top of the screen at 13 inches.
But I read that when it’s on top, it loses half its light power or something. In more technical terms lol.. I can also mount it inside right?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
But I read that when it’s on top, it loses half its light power or something. In more technical terms lol.. I can also mount it inside right?
Yes that is correct the screen will block out 30% of the rays--- depending on the screen- is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? Let me know then I can tell you

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If you can mount it inside, unobstructed is always the best, but on the screen is technically doable with the right bulb

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
Yes that is correct the screen will block out 30% of the rays--- depending on the screen- is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? Let me know then I can tell you
It’s the fine mesh kind.. I’m fine with mounting it inside. I just wanted to make sure that is safe for a baby dragon only 1 month old. And that I can just purchase command hooks and not need a good or fixture.. thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You want it inside for a T 5 distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor --- for T 8 it must be inside approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- for a baby that young you definitely want your UVB correctly placed and distance - this is the most crucial time for them developing good strong bones as the UVB helps them absorb / synthesize the calcium D3 your giving ---- and that should be fed on the insects dusted 5 x per week ONCE per feeding - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding -please change out the T 5 in approx one year I recommend 10-11 months prior to and for a T 8 5 months --

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
You want it inside for a T 5 distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor --- for T 8 it must be inside approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- for a baby that young you definitely want your UVB correctly placed and distance - this is the most crucial time for them developing good strong bones as the UVB helps them absorb / synthesize the calcium D3 your giving ---- and that should be fed on the insects dusted 5 x per week ONCE per feeding - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding -please change out the T 5 in approx one year I recommend 10-11 months prior to and for a T 8 5 months --
Okay thank you. Yeah it’s wild, I see in some pet stores they don’t have UVB at all.. and when I asked about it they just said it’s too expensive for every tank to have one. And they’re babies! So why would I purchase from a place that is missing a crucial part for their growth? Ahhh, anyway.. what do you mean by the calcium 5x a week ONCE per feeding? On one insect?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay thank you. Yeah it’s wild, I see in some pet stores they don’t have UVB at all.. and when I asked about it they just said it’s too expensive for every tank to have one. And they’re babies! So why would I purchase from a place that is missing a crucial part for their growth? Ahhh, anyway.. what do you mean by the calcium 5x a week ONCE per feeding? On one insect?
Dust the insects all of them ONE time each day so if your feeding insect 2-3 times only dust once --- he needs insects every day for a baby that young he needs them 2-3 times per day w/ salads being fed as well -- I would get some BSFL small for now and feed those as a lure to the bowl -they are a great staple feeder and a good compliment to the dubia roaches w/ the main staple insect being the roaches - feed as many as you want -- his eating will be off due to relocation stress -- the good UVB w/ a hood it will provide more UVB for him you want that - and good surface basking temps are going to help him adjust and acclimate to his tank faster --- I am sorry I should of answered the question about the hood/ fixture earlier but you want that not just the bulb ---
www.dubiaroaches.com they have nice roaches and nutri grubs same as BSFL-- get small roaches for such a small dragon --- then after you see the size of him go by the chart on the website for size -- do not feed anything bigger than the space between his eyes

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
Dust the insects all of them ONE time each day so if your feeding insect 2-3 times only dust once --- he needs insects every day for a baby that young he needs them 2-3 times per day w/ salads being fed as well -- I would get some BSFL small for now and feed those as a lure to the bowl -they are a great staple feeder and a good compliment to the dubia roaches w/ the main staple insect being the roaches - feed as many as you want -- his eating will be off due to relocation stress -- the good UVB w/ a hood it will provide more UVB for him you want that - and good surface basking temps are going to help him adjust and acclimate to his tank faster --- I am sorry I should of answered the question about the hood/ fixture earlier but you want that not just the bulb ---
www.dubiaroaches.com they have nice roaches and nutri grubs same as BSFL-- get small roaches for such a small dragon --- then after you see the size of him go by the chart on the website for size -- do not feed anything bigger than the space between his eyes
Sorry what is BSFL?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom