Building a big stackable 7x2x2 enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
jezwolf175":ycazlany said:
Nice looking vivs. I'm going to be building one pretty soon and liked your style. I hope you don't mind if I borrow you idea and tweak it a bit. Great job!
Thx and good luck with your build! :)

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
BeardedMatt":z7tsjdee said:
It has been a little bit since you have posted(2 weeks or so).

Was wondering how much did it cost to build one enclosure by itself and the time take?

I'm estimating the whole thing (the top viv for the dragons) cost me about 300 USD. It all depends a bit on the wood you use, the glass doors you use and all kinds of choices like that. You can make it a lot cheaper and a lot more expensive. I would suggest before you start to go look at some prices of the supplies you'll need and make a budget. And then add 50 bucks for all the stuff you'll need on the way that you didn't think of...like me.. :lol:

The time it took me was about a day for the wood work (time actually working on it only couple of hours, but i like lots of breaks... :lol: ) The background took about two weeks (the layers of grout need to dry 1 to 2 days each time) and the staining took about three days for letting the layers dry in between as well. Plus a couple of hours for fitting lights, doors and clean up of one million little styrofoam pieces all over my living room...

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
This is AMAZING. I'll probably try to build one of these in a year or two with my Father for my Beardie. Seriously, very well done and it doesn't look incredibly difficult, just tedious with detail work and time staking with having to wait between each layer.

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thx guys. :) And you're right, it is not as hard as it may look. My "wood working skills" don't go any further than sawing pieces off and screwing and glueing them on to another piece... :lol: I really think everybody could make something like this if you take it step by step. That's also why I did the photo step by step thing, so people maybe get encouraged to do their own and make their beardie a nice enclosure.

Lenewen

Juvie Member
We did something very similar to this except the 3 tanks (each is 80gal) have runners in the middle so they can divide into 40gal and 20gal increments. I love what you did with the styrofoam, I have built structures using the same process but nothing to that magnitude. It looks great!

Let me ask you this; something we did to help with moving the tank is we put heavy duty shop wheels on it. Have you thought about this? Ours was impossible to move without them. Wood is quite heavy; I think our next tank will be made from plastic and I'm hoping to make it fully collapsible. Easier said than done.

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's a good idea about the shop wheels. The only difficulty will be when I want to change the order of the vivs around I guess. (right now I can put either one on the bottom or top) For now I think I'm sticking to keeping them in place as much as I can I guess... :lol:

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ashleydmj":2d8b0ezc said:
Wow! Amazing!! I wish you could build me one! Ms. No woodwork skills over here -_- hahah
I could, but mailing it would be a slight problem... :) You don't need woodwork skills for this though, you should give it a go! :D

megaglaze

I have no artistic ability... i could never carve the foam like you did... :lol:
How much for you to make me one??? totally kidding btw

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
lol thx, but it was more about hanging in there and not stopping before it looked like rock, than that it had much to do with artistic abilities.. Try it out yourself and take a piece of styrofoam and go at it with an exacto knife. At some point it will resemble a piece of rock, I promise...lol

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I made it stackable by making the lid/hood exactly the same as the bottom of each viv. So the bottom of each viv can function as the lid of the one below it. I have one lid (that will fit all vivs) to go on the top viv, so I can also decide to change the vivs around at some point if I wanted to. The lights of the vivs are not mounted onto the hood but onto the vivs themselves, so it doesn't mess with the lights and wiring if or when it's being changed around.

No I haven't finished the third one yet (haven't even started on it... :roll: ) because I'm moving in a week and a half and I rather build it there than having to move it. (It's already going to be a challenge moving these two... :lol: ) I'm actually also playing with the idea of making the third one a two story one that would fit next to it instead of on top of it, so that the whole thing would be wider instead of taller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom