Building a big stackable 7x2x2 enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sounds cool! :) Making it removable definately has it advantages. I'm literally stuck with mine in this one.. :lol: Good luck with your project and post pics of the result of course!

I am currently busy with the bottom viv, but since it's for the tortoise and not for a beardie it really doesn't belong on this forum much.. :D But then again it will also be the stand for the previous viv, so I guess I can post a pic of the progress so far... 8) Here it is with the first coat of stain on and with the start of a simple background. I decided to replace the glass strip on the bottom (see design pic all the way at the top of the first page) with wood, because a turtle doesn't benefit from the glass really and it won't bother me because it's on the floor and we will always look down into it, so it won't obstruct the view.
bottomviv_zpsf0dfc2d0.jpg

animalk

How has the clean-up process been so far? I would like to do something like this one day, but I'm worried that sanitation would be a difficult endeavor :roll:

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
zandi202":2f1ibcg4 said:
Beautiful work!
anc90":2f1ibcg4 said:
Wow those are amazing!!
Thanks! :D
animalk":2f1ibcg4 said:
How has the clean-up process been so far? I would like to do something like this one day, but I'm worried that sanitation would be a difficult endeavor :roll:
The clean-up has been really easy actually! I must say I am very lucky that they pretty much always poop on the sand and not on the rocks, but the one time Ellie pooed on the rock it came right off. (It just dried up under the heat and flaked right off.) I am really glad I didn't seal the rocks, because the rocks are really rough now and not slippery for them and I can tell that helps them a lot. (With climbing, but also with shedding!) With this setup the cleaning is easy as long as you keep up on it (taking out the poo as soon as you see it) and doing it like that is keeping it like new so far. (although it's only been a month... :lol: ) The down side to this setup is that you can't take the rocks out for whatever reason (unless permanently... :lol: ) so if you want to disinfect the tank for example you'll have to do that as is.

So far I've run into one little problem and that is that Hannah prefers a basking spot I didn't anticipate.. :lol: and because of that she doesn't get much UV. I have my UV light between two basking spots, but Ellie uses both basking spots and Hannah prefers to lay on the cool side under a general heating light and I didn't put UV there because I thought they would be in the basking spots most of the day. I'll have to add a second UV light on the cool side too I guess. :roll:

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The bottom viv is finally all done and the tortoise is truckin' around in it! :lol: It's the exact same size as the one above it, so he's got plenty of space as well. Two down, one to go! 8) It was definately not much fun to lift the first viv (with rocks, sand, glass and everything in it...) on top of the second one btw, and I'm already dreading putting number 3 in place with having to lift it to 4'4"... :shock:

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! :) The downside though to getting cash for building these, is that it would turn it into work instead of a hobby! And I got more than enough of that... (work that is, not money.. :lol: )

Nicholas

Hatchling Member
That looks amazing!

I wish I had the carpentry skills you have, and what you did with the foam is an amazing touch.

fusebaum

First off, that looks amazing! You are doing a fantastic job, and I'm really glad you did the step by step so I can gather some ideas, and try to make my own enclosure :D

I have a few questions if you don't mind? :)

What kind of material did you use for the sealing of the Styrofoam? You said that you used tile adhesive, but did you really use that or did you use grout or some other material? I would really love to build my own, but I'm not sure what I should use to seal the Styrofoam :p

Also after you put all those layers of the adhesive, is there something else I can add to make the foam last longer? or will the layers adhesive be enough to make it last pretty long? :D

Anyways, great job! and i'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with ^_^

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
fusebaum":kde2lrpb said:
First off, that looks amazing! You are doing a fantastic job, and I'm really glad you did the step by step so I can gather some ideas, and try to make my own enclosure :D Thanks, you're welcome :D

I have a few questions if you don't mind? :) nope

What kind of material did you use for the sealing of the Styrofoam? You said that you used tile adhesive, but did you really use that or did you use grout or some other material? I would really love to build my own, but I'm not sure what I should use to seal the Styrofoam :p I used tile adhesive, but I am not entirely sure what it is called in the US. (is that thin set?) It is the cement based grey powder you buy in a bag and add water to. You would use it to put a layer of it on a floor or a wall and then stick tiles on it. It's not grout, because that's what you would use to put between the tiles after that.

Also after you put all those layers of the adhesive, is there something else I can add to make the foam last longer? or will the layers adhesive be enough to make it last pretty long? :D The tile adhesive is pretty much like putting a thin layer of cement/concrete over the foam, so it will last long. You could seal it after that with special sealants but that will make it way smoother (slippery for your dragons) so I didn't. You don't have to worry about water once the adhesive is dry, because it won't dissolve anymore once dry. You could use a tile adhesive that stays flexibel a bit btw, (usually the stuff that's good for wet areas like bathrooms) because that will prevent little cracks later on. With the stuff I used you can see a little crack here and there, but I think that looks more realistic. If you don't want that I would use flexible adhesive. (still gets rock hard, you won't see the difference..)

Anyways, great job! and i'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with ^_^ thanks again, I am in the process of moving right now, so I am holding off on number 3 until I am settled in in my new place so it could be a while... :lol:

jezwolf175

Sub-Adult Member
Nice looking vivs. I'm going to be building one pretty soon and liked your style. I hope you don't mind if I borrow you idea and tweak it a bit. Great job!

It has been a little bit since you have posted(2 weeks or so).

Was wondering how much did it cost to build one enclosure by itself and the time take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom