Brumation

Eddiebeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Eddie
Hi guys! I have had my little guy (Eddie) for about 10 months now, he is about 11 months old. I have been trying to get in contact with my original breeder but no response.
As this is eddies first time brumating (I think) I am a little anxious. I have done a lot of research but has so specific answers.
He is a little bit lazy so this is normal but for about 2 weeks prior to this he was eating a lot less and not having many bowl movements as well as acting very lethargic- all of the indicators that he was going into brumation.
However, fast forward to the present week, he has been asleep in his cave for 1 week straight, not coming out or anything and also not taking to food so I assumed he was brumating.
But today, he came out of his cave & ate a whole of 10 large pallets, some greens as well as about 10 crickets which is a little more than his usual food intake. He has gone back in to his cave now but it has made me question whether he is actually in brumation or not?
His enclosure, uvb, basking light, substrate and everything is up to standard and he is healthy & happy from what I can see.
Is this normal? Thank you in advance!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi guys! I have had my little guy (Eddie) for about 10 months now, he is about 11 months old. I have been trying to get in contact with my original breeder but no response.
As this is eddies first time brumating (I think) I am a little anxious. I have done a lot of research but has so specific answers.
He is a little bit lazy so this is normal but for about 2 weeks prior to this he was eating a lot less and not having many bowl movements as well as acting very lethargic- all of the indicators that he was going into brumation.
However, fast forward to the present week, he has been asleep in his cave for 1 week straight, not coming out or anything and also not taking to food so I assumed he was brumating.
But today, he came out of his cave & ate a whole of 10 large pallets, some greens as well as about 10 crickets which is a little more than his usual food intake. He has gone back in to his cave now but it has made me question whether he is actually in brumation or not?
His enclosure, uvb, basking light, substrate and everything is up to standard and he is healthy & happy from what I can see.
Is this normal? Thank you in advance!
What kind of uvb? Coil or long tube fixture and what are his surface basking temps-- how are you taking them? Please no stick ons they are inaccurate - it's possible for him to be brumating but dragons under a year usually do not- what does he weigh?

Eddiebeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Eddie
What kind of uvb? Coil or long tube fixture and what are his surface basking temps-- how are you taking them? Please no stick ons they are inaccurate - it's possible for him to be brumating but dragons under a year usually do not- what does he weigh?
He has a Arcadia D3+ reptile tube 12% T5 which is 40 cm away from his basking spot. His basking spot sits at 35 degreees along with his cool side sitting at 20-25 degrees. On the basking side I have the Ezistat thermostat which keeps it at the right temperature whilst I monitor both sides with a temperature gun.
I am unsure of his weight but will take this soon, I have booked a vet appointment for Wednesday so will get him checked then too. He looks healthy & normal weight etc, not overweight but definitely not skinny.

Arcadia D3+ Reptile Tube 12% T5​

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He has a Arcadia D3+ reptile tube 12% T5 which is 40 cm away from his basking spot. His basking spot sits at 35 degreees along with his cool side sitting at 20-25 degrees. On the basking side I have the Ezistat thermostat which keeps it at the right temperature whilst I monitor both sides with a temperature gun.
I am unsure of his weight but will take this soon, I have booked a vet appointment for Wednesday so will get him checked then too. He looks healthy & normal weight etc, not overweight but definitely not skinny.

Arcadia D3+ Reptile Tube 12% T5​

Ok I would get your cool side up to 80 F -- the 68-77 F could be causing the sleepiness - those temps are good for night time the distance is good for your UVB as long as its not obstructed if its sitting on top of a screen the screen is blocking 30% of those rays for a fine screen it should be in the tank - that would cause the lack of energy / lack of appetite- I would get him off the pellets and start w/ fresh salads every day and a good staple insect -- crickets dubia roaches BSFL or silk worms -- Nutrition Content ignore the kale info its outdated -- please NO enemas at the vet collect a poop sample 24 hr prior to vet visit -- feed him some baby food pumpkin w/ a drop of olive oil and a drop of honey -- this will make him go poop

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom