Brumation?

doommig

Original Poster
So like the title says, I think my bearded dragon is going through brumation and would like some opinions on whether she is or not. She is about a year old and has been hiding 100 % of the day. This started around October 12th and is still ongoing now. She's not eating much cause she's too busy hiding in her cave. I've taken a spreadsheet on her weight with a scale and doesn't seem like her weights changed much. on October 28 her weight is at 275 grams, but I will way her again today since I haven't weighed her since. So my real concern is is this brumation??? and if so can anyone tell me any tips and tricks to let this go by smoothly until she gets back to normal? Basically all I've been doing is not really much. I fed her a total of 3 or 4 times in the whole month she's been "brumating". She's hasn't eaten any greens the whole time as well. I'll say this again she's been very lethargic, like just sleeping ALOT in her cave, never comes out. Also she went through something similar to this in May for like 2 months and that was 6 months ago. What are your thoughts everyone???
P.S. she hasn't gotten much water if any at all the whole time as well. And I don't think its her lighting cause people helped me on that not too long ago.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What is her name ? Beardies can do the little hide + seek at any time for reasons not always known. Although she is on the small side she can still go through a phase like this and then come back out suddenly, not actually doing a full brumation. Can you post pics of her to show her condition and pics of her enclosure and lights ? Are her eyes closed while she's hiding ? You can take her out and give her a 5 minute warm soak , dribble water slowly o her snout to give her a chance to drink. Also offer food. She should be O.K and probably will snap out of it soon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So like the title says, I think my bearded dragon is going through brumation and would like some opinions on whether she is or not. She is about a year old and has been hiding 100 % of the day. This started around October 12th and is still ongoing now. She's not eating much cause she's too busy hiding in her cave. I've taken a spreadsheet on her weight with a scale and doesn't seem like her weights changed much. on October 28 her weight is at 275 grams, but I will way her again today since I haven't weighed her since. So my real concern is is this brumation??? and if so can anyone tell me any tips and tricks to let this go by smoothly until she gets back to normal? Basically all I've been doing is not really much. I fed her a total of 3 or 4 times in the whole month she's been "brumating". She's hasn't eaten any greens the whole time as well. I'll say this again she's been very lethargic, like just sleeping ALOT in her cave, never comes out. Also she went through something similar to this in May for like 2 months and that was 6 months ago. What are your thoughts everyone???
P.S. she hasn't gotten much water if any at all the whole time as well. And I don't think its her lighting cause people helped me on that not too long ago.
Here are some tips that may help you

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Karrie, no disrespect to the first one you linked but some of that is incorrect and I wouldn't use it. It's a ton of reading and not all correct. The second one is better but is still dealing with a larger, ready to brumate dragon whereas the O.P has a younger, smaller dragon that likely will not do an actual full brumation.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Karrie, no disrespect to the first one you linked but some of that is incorrect and I wouldn't use it. It's a ton of reading and not all correct. The second one is better but is still dealing with a larger, ready to brumate dragon whereas the O.P has a younger, smaller dragon that likely will not do an actual full brumation.
ok so they need to revise it then - her dragon is not heavy enough to go thru brumation either - you want them over 300 grams- it sounds like the dragon is reacting to the weather which is normal - I would keep offering her the food and keep her hydrated as well -- either by dropping water on the nose or a bath if they are drinking from the bath -- keep track of the weight - and make sure all the surface basking temps and UVB is up to par- anything off like that can simulate a brumation behavior

doommig

Original Poster
What is her name ? Beardies can do the little hide + seek at any time for reasons not always known. Although she is on the small side she can still go through a phase like this and then come back out suddenly, not actually doing a full brumation. Can you post pics of her to show her condition and pics of her enclosure and lights ? Are her eyes closed while she's hiding ? You can take her out and give her a 5 minute warm soak , dribble water slowly o her snout to give her a chance to drink. Also offer food. She should be O.K and probably will snap out of it soon.
Ok so here is a full overview of Ciri's specs.
enclosure: (refer to pics for references which will be under this post) heat light: Currently her temps at basking spot is sitting at around 101 f, but idk why but it fluctuates , sometimes it'll read 106.
Uvb: t5 ho reptisun with reflector uvb tube. Distance from uvb to log 13 inches under screen, and 15 inches running diagonal to basking spot. ( UVB is under the mesh screen with fishing line)
Gradients: 90 degrees f on warm side and 82 f on cool side.
as you can see in the pic, she is inside her cave and I can never see her eyes cause they're hiding , but when I pick up the rock, her eyes gets opened.
Weight currently : 271 grams
Thats pretty much everything that i can think of currently, if theres anything else I'm missing to type out let me know. and pics are at the bottom.
p.s. IF she were going through brumation , does that mean bearded dragons DONT need uvb for months on end and heat? Seems kinda dangerous for them to not have any of that for months on in. Thank you

doommig

Original Poster
Ciri's pics

Attachments

• PXL_20221110_180525215.jpg
    PXL_20221110_180525215.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20221110_180506512.jpg
    PXL_20221110_180506512.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20221110_175444256.jpg
    PXL_20221110_175444256.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20221110_175438714.jpg
    PXL_20221110_175438714.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 56

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ciri's pics
Dragons know when they need UVB--- and yes they can go months w/ not having UVB when brumating- all her heat and UVB is good - let her do her thing- she is pretty light for going into a brumation cycle - is she coming out at all to bask or eat ? She is not in full brumation if shes opening her eyes when you disturb her - normally you haft to actually wake them -- keep track of the weight and keep her hydrated - every 2 weeks or so if shes not coming out on her own -

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nice looking dragon ! I think she'll be fine too, there's always the possibility that they have parasites but she looks healthy and you can always try to get a fecal sample once she wakes all the way up and begins eating + pooping regularly.

doommig

Original Poster
Dragons know when they need UVB--- and yes they can go months w/ not having UVB when brumating- all her heat and UVB is good - let her do her thing- she is pretty light for going into a brumation cycle - is she coming out at all to bask or eat ? She is not in full brumation if shes opening her eyes when you disturb her - normally you haft to actually wake them -- keep track of the weight and keep her hydrated - every 2 weeks or so if shes not coming out on her own -
nope, never comes out unless I force her out, and I will listen to your advice.

doommig

Original Poster
Nice looking dragon ! I think she'll be fine too, there's always the possibility that they have parasites but she looks healthy and you can always try to get a fecal sample once she wakes all the way up and begins eating + pooping regularly.
Thanks, and ya i might do that, cause I went to take her to the vet months ago ( 3 months maybe?) and she had parasites, which they took another fecal sample shortly after that and came back negative. But she might've been affected again by them, who knows.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom