Brumation?

Pward

Original Poster
Hello!
I am concerned about a change in my 11 month old beardie’s behavior. He mostly stays in his cave during the day, he will come out for bugs, but is mostly refusing greens/veggies. If he does come out of his cave he does go to his basking spot for a few hours, but then goes into his cave again around 2 pm and by around 5 pm he’s sleeping off an on. He poops every other day basically. I’m assuming this is start of brumation?
Is there anything I should do? Should I take him out of his cave and place him on his basking spot? If I do bring him out he is pretty active and will run around the house. Also if he isn’t eating how do I make sure he gets his calcium and vitamins?
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks!

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello!
I am concerned about a change in my 11 month old beardie’s behavior. He mostly stays in his cave during the day, he will come out for bugs, but is mostly refusing greens/veggies. If he does come out of his cave he does go to his basking spot for a few hours, but then goes into his cave again around 2 pm and by around 5 pm he’s sleeping off an on. He poops every other day basically. I’m assuming this is start of brumation?
Is there anything I should do? Should I take him out of his cave and place him on his basking spot? If I do bring him out he is pretty active and will run around the house. Also if he isn’t eating how do I make sure he gets his calcium and vitamins?
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks!
Dust the bugs! No let him do his thing--- it sounds like hes semi brumating -- which is normal - some will do that some will go into full brumation --keep him hydrated you may haft to give him a bath every 2 weeks or so--- I would get a weight on him now and keep track of it --

Pward

Original Poster
Dust the bugs! No let him do his thing--- it sounds like hes semi brumating -- which is normal - some will do that some will go into full brumation --keep him hydrated you may haft to give him a bath every 2 weeks or so--- I would get a weight on him now and keep track of it --
I have been dusting the bugs so that’s good. 👍🏻 if he refuses bugs I dust the salad but he doesn’t really eat it.
Okay, I checked his weight, it’s 445 grams. I will keep track of it. Thank you for the reply!

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom