Brumation

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I got in my own head and even though Toothless is maybe three months old, I'm fretting about brumating. I freak out over any change he makes and if he starts eating less/sleeping more, I'll be in a constant panic. But my boyfriend is reading a different article that says most domestic beardies don't even brumate and/or you can prevent them from brumating without harm.

Is any of this true.? If he will most likely brumate, how do I prepare my anxiety for that.? I'd be a mess if my baby was sleeping 90% of the time and not eating.😩😩

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
FYI - "Wild" Brumation Behavior | Behavior | Bearded Dragon .org :)

I'd say most do, but not as long/deep as their wild counterparts. No point in forcing them out of it or forcing them not to brumate. If their bodies are telling them to brumate, that's what is best for them.

-Brandon
That's what I figured. I'm concerned with stressing over it, thinking he's okay, and making sure not to pull him out of it early or anything. Mainly concerned about worrying about him. I'm a first time owner and we've only had him a month and I constantly stress.😅

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You shouldn't see him wanting to brumate for at least the first year. When he does decide to do so, just be prepared. Make sure he is at a good weight, and hydrated. Take a fecal sample into the vet and make sure he isn't carrying a huge parasite load. And ralax :) Read up on the process and understand it so you don't stress so much. The better we understand how things work, the less scary they are.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
You shouldn't see him wanting to brumate for at least the first year. When he does decide to do so, just be prepared. Make sure he is at a good weight, and hydrated. Take a fecal sample into the vet and make sure he isn't carrying a huge parasite load. And ralax :) Read up on the process and understand it so you don't stress so much. The better we understand how things work, the less scary they are.
I read several articles last night, hence how I got into my own head.😅

I know they'll sleep/lay around a lot more but I'd constantly be thinking there's something wrong with him or something. Especially if I can't hold him, like the articles I read says.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It's hard on us hoomans lol, it's scary when our dragons do things that seem weird to us. Tbh i wish i could sleep a few months at a time once in a while lol. I'm guessing i wouldn't have a job when i woke up though lol.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
OMG this sounds like me. Everyone prepare because I will be on this site crying every day. My mother calls me and asks if Rocky has started brumating and I yell NO but now I see it's because it's the first year. I am seriously breathing hard as I type. I can't do it --it's going to be hard. I am going to have to take Rocky somewhere, I can't handle it. I am being so serious right now. Logging off to get myself together. UGH!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Do all of your beardies do it EACH YEAR?
It's hard on us hoomans lol, it's scary when our dragons do things that seem weird to us. Tbh i wish i could sleep a few months at a time once in a while lol. I'm guessing i wouldn't have a job when i woke up though lol

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
No not really, my male gets surper lazy(even more lazy than he already is) and he cat naps but never goes in a hide and actually goes into a hard sleep.
My two females I've only had since December and April so i don't know their routine yet. Snicker Doodles is only about a year old so she may take some time to do it.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
OMG this sounds like me. Everyone prepare because I will be on this site crying every day. My mother calls me and asks if Rocky has started brumating and I yell NO but now I see it's because it's the first year. I am seriously breathing hard as I type. I can't do it --it's going to be hard. I am going to have to take Rocky somewhere, I can't handle it. I am being so serious right now. Logging off to get myself together. UGH!
I definitely understand. It's hard to watch your baby and not be able to do anything. Whenever it does happen, if it does happen, Toothless and I will be here to give you supported pets and he can give nose boops.🖤💚

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I definitely understand. It's hard to watch your baby and not be able to do anything. Whenever it does happen, if it does happen, Toothless and I will be here to give you supported pets and he can give nose boops.🖤💚
Thank you. I will be back.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I talked to my other half last night who after laughing at me said, "Rocky is too spoiled to brumate, stop worrying?!" What kind of answer is that?! He has 1 more comment then he's out!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I am feeling better as I woke up AFTER Rocky today. He woke up in my face like Ummm HELLO- that's all I needed :love:

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom