Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

EHerb

Sorry if this had been posted before I am so confused and scared and worried about him going into brumation
He is 15-16 months and i would say end of September he started not coming down off his shelf so i physically brought him off and put him under the lamp then October time started eating maybe just a couple of bugs every day instead of a meal but now he is refusing to eat at all
Now every day he is going into his hide and I should prob leave him in there I know but I’m taking him out and putting him under the light amd offering food some days he will have 1 locust other days nothings some days a mouth of salad other days nothing - last parasite test showed low coccidia and low pinworm which is good as from about 6 months he’s had high or moderate coccidia and it has really only bothered him once which he got over and was fine
Because he is having the odd bug I’m scared of him brumating because don’t they have to have an empty tummy before ? What I would like help with is is he trying to brumate ? Shall I leave him be even with the possibility of some poo that needs to come out ? If I leave him I’m scared he’ll starve to death or that it’s not brumation he’s ill - should I stop feeding him bugs all together now ? Amd just let him do his thing? If it is brumation what do I do with the lights and heat ? Sorry panic as not done a winter like this before

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there ! Brumation is one of the most common concerns addressed on all beardie forums and understandably so. Fortunately it is 100 % natural behavior and most [ but not all ] dragons will brumate . Your dragon will be fine, just remember that it IS natural, they are built for it and you don't want to interrupt and stress him. He'll be O.K. !

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
It certainly sounds like it to me. I'll defer to @KarrieRee and @AHBD, though. :) They have more experience with brumating bearded dragons than I do.

But while waiting for them to chime in, I will leave these here for you, if you haven't already read them...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sorry if this had been posted before I am so confused and scared and worried about him going into brumation
He is 15-16 months and i would say end of September he started not coming down off his shelf so i physically brought him off and put him under the lamp then October time started eating maybe just a couple of bugs every day instead of a meal but now he is refusing to eat at all
Now every day he is going into his hide and I should prob leave him in there I know but I’m taking him out and putting him under the light amd offering food some days he will have 1 locust other days nothings some days a mouth of salad other days nothing - last parasite test showed low coccidia and low pinworm which is good as from about 6 months he’s had high or moderate coccidia and it has really only bothered him once which he got over and was fine
Because he is having the odd bug I’m scared of him brumating because don’t they have to have an empty tummy before ? What I would like help with is is he trying to brumate ? Shall I leave him be even with the possibility of some poo that needs to come out ? If I leave him I’m scared he’ll starve to death or that it’s not brumation he’s ill - should I stop feeding him bugs all together now ? Amd just let him do his thing? If it is brumation what do I do with the lights and heat ? Sorry panic as not done a winter like this before
Incorrect lighting can cause brumation behavior please go over basking temps and how your taking them and your UVB -- coil or tube fixture and where is the tube fixture if that is what your using --- we need to rule this out first before we can actually determine if its brumation

EHerb

Original Poster
It certainly sounds like it to me. I'll defer to @KarrieRee and @AHBD, though. :) They have more experience with brumating bearded dragons than I do.

But while waiting for them to chime in, I will leave these here for you, if you haven't already read them...

Thank you just had a read a lot of it was helpful but Iv never heard of bathing your dragon once a week during brumation mine doesn’t even like baths this is confusing me is this good practice

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Iv never heard of bathing your dragon once a week during brumation mine doesn’t even like baths this is confusing me is this good practice
I don't think this is an essential process, but on the Practical Tips article, its noted as a means to aide with passing any stool that they may have still.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi again, I would like to start off by saying that while the 2nd article referred to you has some good info, the part about a beardie soaking up moisture in a burrow in the wild is totally incorrect, they do not have a suction mechanism at their rectum to extract water from dirt and do not suck up water so soaking is not required and can be dangerous for a sleepy, cold dragon. My dragons [ over 25 years worth ] have either slept solid for 2-4 months with zero food + water or if they seem to be slightly awake I offer water about every 10-14 days at the most by tucking a folded paper towel [ to catch the excess water ] under their chin area and VERY slowly dripping water to give them a chance to lap it as it rolls down their nose and into their mouth. Remember, brumation slows the body functions way down and they are built to naturally endure it. So no need for baths !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom