Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gandhi

Hatchling Member
Hey Guys,

Gandhi Is one and a half so this is the first winter he could have brumated. I've read the article on brumation and he is showing all the signs but I just have a few questions ..... Obviously I want to know that he's not just ill! It has dropped about 5 degrees here in England over the past week. I have adjusted his temps accordingly but I guess this may be one reason why he would have gone into brumation. He has started being inactive and lethargic, won't bask and generally looks grumpy. He also hasn't eaten much and in the last few days won't touch his food- even his favorite's.

1. I changed the UV light because it was 6 months old but I changed it back to one which I had before but only used for 4 months - I really skint but should I buy a new UV, Just incase?

2. If he does poop, should I take a fecal sample to the vets? I had one done 6 months ago but should I get another done? (Although he hasn't pooped for a week)

Any advise or help would be great

Thanks in advance

gandhi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also I put a Fleece blanket in there with a hide and within 5 minutes he was under there and hasn't come out all day. Now his lights are off

mich

Hatchling Member
Sounds like the right age and time of year, mine started brumating just 2 wks ago. I had a friend come feed my reptiles while I was out of town and it freaked them out because my dragons didn't eat a single thing for 4 days which didn't surprise me at all. Take him out once a week for a bath to avoid dehydration, my dragons are so sleepy sometimes I need to actually hold them up in the tub. Only time they eat during brumation is on a very rare occasion after a bath because they may stay awake for maybe a day before crawling back into their hide to sleep. If yours does eat make sure you bath them again in a few days so they can have a poop and clean out their system, don't want them holding that stuff in while they sleep the next few months away. Brumation is normal and as long as your dragon is healthy prior then it shouldn't be a problem at all, I've also tried to keep my temps constant but mine brumate anyway lazy bums :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom