Brumation under a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokese

Hello,

Our beardie Snoopy is 8 or 9 months old now and weighs 420 grams, he’s a very chonky boy! We have noticed over the last few week especially that he is sleeping more than normal and less interested in his food. Yesterday he crawled into his hide on his cool side in the early afternoon and hasn’t been out since, usually he will nap on his hot side under his log. He is pooping normal and when he’s awake he is acting normal playing and moving around his tank. I am wondering if he might be preparing to brumate or semi brumating? Is this ok at his young age?
Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello,

Our beardie Snoopy is 8 or 9 months old now and weighs 420 grams, he’s a very chonky boy! We have noticed over the last few week especially that he is sleeping more than normal and less interested in his food. Yesterday he crawled into his hide on his cool side in the early afternoon and hasn’t been out since, usually he will nap on his hot side under his log. He is pooping normal and when he’s awake he is acting normal playing and moving around his tank. I am wondering if he might be preparing to brumate or semi brumating? Is this ok at his young age?
Thank you!
It is possible he is a big boy- and for him to be that big I would say hes fine- just keep an eye on him - follow his lead and offer water to him every 10-14 days - keep track of his weight as well -

Kokese

Original Poster
It is possible he is a big boy- and for him to be that big I would say hes fine- just keep an eye on him - follow his lead and offer water to him every 10-14 days - keep track of his weight as well -
Thank you! Should we be leaving his lights on the timed schedule or turning them off? Are there any other considerations that we should make to ensure that he is warm enough? When we offer water should we be waking him or just leaving it in his tank by where he’s hunkered down? I assume it’s ok to take him out to weigh him? Sorry this is all so new and actually very stressful!! It’s sad to see no activity in his tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you! Should we be leaving his lights on the timed schedule or turning them off? Are there any other considerations that we should make to ensure that he is warm enough? When we offer water should we be waking him or just leaving it in his tank by where he’s hunkered down? I assume it’s ok to take him out to weigh him? Sorry this is all so new and actually very stressful!! It’s sad to see no activity in his tank.
yes take him out and offer water either drop water on his nose or by a bath it is up to you-- and then weigh him on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams - as far as lighting you can do the normal routine w/ the lights - some people shut them off and leave them off if the dragon is completely out - but to keep the schedule of the dragon you can turn them on and off like normal earlier in the day or so if hes sleeping - I run a normal routine w/ mine - as far as heat they like cool and dark 65-75 at night - normal temps for sleeping -

Kokese

Original Poster
yes take him out and offer water either drop water on his nose or by a bath it is up to you-- and then weigh him on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams - as far as lighting you can do the normal routine w/ the lights - some people shut them off and leave them off if the dragon is completely out - but to keep the schedule of the dragon you can turn them on and off like normal earlier in the day or so if hes sleeping - I run a normal routine w/ mine - as far as heat they like cool and dark 65-75 at night - normal temps for sleeping -
Great thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom