Brumation potentially?

sconley

Beardie name(s)
Lyra and Reginald
My 2 year old male is hiding all the time, for the past three weeks. If given bugs he eats them if they crawl near him, he chased a super worm two days go but has refused salad for a month now. Could he be trying to brumate potentially? We are entering winter here in the UK

Regarding his vivarium size, he will be upgraded by Spring.
4ft x 2 x 2 Vivarium, basking spot 37 - 40 C
Cool side 29 - 30C
12% arcadia T5 Pro kit, light is new purchased March 2022
Substrate is non adhesive shelf liner.
Feeding schedule: Calcium dusted dubias 2 x weekly, as many as will eat in ten minutes. Salad 4 x weekly: he only eats rocket, spring greens, red chard, basil, corriander, bell pepper and occasionally green cabbage

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Cabbage is hard for them to digest, also salad should be offered everyday. Yes he could be wanting to brumate, if he is going to i would recommend getting a fecal done at the vet to make sure he isn't carry a parasite load. Take in a sample don't let them do an enema under any circumstance. They want a sample less than 24 hours old.

sconley

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lyra and Reginald
Cabbage is hard for them to digest, also salad should be offered everyday. Yes he could be wanting to brumate, if he is going to i would recommend getting a fecal done at the vet to make sure he isn't carry a parasite load. Take in a sample don't let them do an enema under any circumstance. They want a sample less than 24 hours old.
Thank you. To be honest he leaves most of the salad and just eats the rocket mostly. I will attempt to locate an exotics vet.

Beardie name(s)
Lemon
My 2 year old male is hiding all the time, for the past three weeks. If given bugs he eats them if they crawl near him, he chased a super worm two days go but has refused salad for a month now. Could he be trying to brumate potentially? We are entering winter here in the UK

Regarding his vivarium size, he will be upgraded by Spring.
4ft x 2 x 2 Vivarium, basking spot 37 - 40 C
Cool side 29 - 30C
12% arcadia T5 Pro kit, light is new purchased March 2022
Substrate is non adhesive shelf liner.
Feeding schedule: Calcium dusted dubias 2 x weekly, as many as will eat in ten minutes. Salad 4 x weekly: he only eats rocket, spring greens, red chard, basil, corriander, bell pepper and occasionally green cabbage
Our 1 year old started brumating just over two weeks ago (we are in the UK too). He turned 1 on 5th October and the kids were a bit sad he slept through it so he couldn't have any treats etc! With him still being young, this is our first experience of brumation and we are missing him a lot! Hoping he is wide awake again by Christmas so he can join in the festivities 😄

Where in the UK are you? The vet we use doesn't seem to show up on that list so it is definitely worth ringing some local vets to ask them as suggested above. The vet we use for our cat gave us the details of the help vet we use.

Good luck in your search. Oh, and it's worth weighing him now so you have a point of reference if he does start brumating. As they're not supposed to lose weight (or very lite) during brumation I've been worrying about Lemon a bit - weighed him yesterday just to check how he's doing and he is exactly the same weight, so it's peace of mind!

sconley

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lyra and Reginald
Our 1 year old started brumating just over two weeks ago (we are in the UK too). He turned 1 on 5th October and the kids were a bit sad he slept through it so he couldn't have any treats etc! With him still being young, this is our first experience of brumation and we are missing him a lot! Hoping he is wide awake again by Christmas so he can join in the festivities 😄

Where in the UK are you? The vet we use doesn't seem to show up on that list so it is definitely worth ringing some local vets to ask them as suggested above. The vet we use for our cat gave us the details of the help vet we use.

Good luck in your search. Oh, and it's worth weighing him now so you have a point of reference if he does start brumating. As they're not supposed to lose weight (or very lite) during brumation I've been worrying about Lemon a bit - weighed him yesterday just to check how he's doing and he is exactly the same weight, so it's peace of mind!
Sounds silly but how do you weigh them? None of my reps are heavy enough to trigger my normal scales?

sconley

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lyra and Reginald
Anyone here good at identifying potential parasites?
I looked at both my dragons fecal matter under my microscope and I see this, looks like coccidia to me, vet is booked

Attachments

• 310748178_639958891092192_4375317382172716048_n.jpg
    310748178_639958891092192_4375317382172716048_n.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 74

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom