Brumation poop? (Pics inside)

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
My Amber came out today (last Monday was the last time she was out) so I gave her a bath and then she warmed up. Then she did this little behavior that is her routine indicating she had to poop and was slow but steady. She hasn't pooped in about 4-5 weeks and she has only eaten 2 times in those 4-5 weeks

I'm hoping this is optimal and is looking good it was slightly watery and had no foul smell too it and was firm

Attachments

• IMG_20221121_103258.jpg
    IMG_20221121_103258.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20221121_103109.jpg
    IMG_20221121_103109.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 62

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My Amber came out today (last Monday was the last time she was out) so I gave her a bath and then she warmed up. Then she did this little behavior that is her routine indicating she had to poop and was slow but steady. She hasn't pooped in about 4-5 weeks and she has only eaten 2 times in those 4-5 weeks

I'm hoping this is optimal and is looking good it was slightly watery and had no foul smell too it and was firm
It looks like there is partial undigested bugs -- make sure your surface basking temps are 95-100 for a adult dragon --- and your using a digital probe thermometer to get those temps

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It looks like there is partial undigested bugs -- make sure your surface basking temps are 95-100 for a adult dragon --- and your using a digital probe thermometer to get those temps
She hasn't been basking at all even after feeding her I gave her some mealworms and BSFL yesterday. I ran out of crickets so that's all I had could she have pooped them out a hour after I fed her? Normally I don't give her and Chubbs many mealworms mainly BSFL crickets and Hornworms from time to time

She did bask after pooping for a bit I'm struggling keeping the temps 95-100 it's either 90+ or 105+

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She hasn't been basking at all even after feeding her I gave her some mealworms and BSFL yesterday. I ran out of crickets so that's all I had could she have pooped them out a hour after I fed her? Normally I don't give her and Chubbs many mealworms mainly BSFL crickets and Hornworms from time to time

She did bask after pooping for a bit I'm struggling keeping the temps 95-100 it's either 90+ or 105+
Do you have a piece of decor that can give gradient temps? Show me the tank in question please maybe seeing it will help me and some others better

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Do you have a piece of decor that can give gradient temps? Show me the tank in question please maybe seeing it will help me and some others better
Right now the bulb I have in is 53W and the temp is 106 with the enclosure cracked open

When I use a 43W it goes as high as 92 so I'm trying to find a wattage in-between maybe the lamp shape is making it too powerful

Attachments

• IMG_20221122_124825.jpg
    IMG_20221122_124825.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20221122_124830.jpg
    IMG_20221122_124830.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 64

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Right now the bulb I have in is 53W and the temp is 106 with the enclosure cracked open

When I use a 43W it goes as high as 92 so I'm trying to find a wattage in-between maybe the lamp shape is making it too powerful
What is the red thing on the screen? And what brand are you using for basking bulb?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
What is the red thing on the screen? And what brand are you using for basking bulb?
It's a towel I generally put one across each enclosure so it doesn't let dust and light in and I'm using a ordinary house bulb

Perhaps removing the towel on the hot side would cool it off? I know the 53W is a lot brighter than the 43W the lamp I have produces a tighter beam too. I could swap it to one that isn't a tight beam

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's a towel I generally put one across each enclosure so it doesn't let dust and light in and I'm using a ordinary house bulb

Perhaps removing the towel on the hot side would cool it off? I know the 53W is a lot brighter than the 43W the lamp I have produces a tighter beam too. I could swap it to one that isn't a tight beam
Take the towel off and watch the temps-- its holding heat in

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Temp is still high 111 with no towels on the hot side I'm wondering if changing the light fixture would be better
I don't know- try a regular basking bulb - flukers 100 watt first - I don't see how the dome would make a difference

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I don't know- try a regular basking bulb - flukers 100 watt first - I don't see how the dome would make a difference
The dome I'm using is made for reptiles and the other dome is your typical clamp fixture you can get at any hardware store

I am ordering a basking bulb but for now I swapped domes just to test it out I'll keep you posted

Thank you for the help

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
@KarrieRee swapped the domes using a 65W bulb and it says 96 I also ordered a 75W that will hopefully bump it to 100 in Ambers enclosure

The other dome I'm using with a 43W and it's steady at 100.5 for Chubbs

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok watch her behavior now and see what she does and her poops
Both are still sleeping I know that's what they have been doing for some time but no longer than 2 weeks

I was very surprised Amber actually came out after just 1 week between her being active yesterday. Perhaps feeding them a lot is not the best idea since they haven't been basking?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Both are still sleeping I know that's what they have been doing for some time but no longer than 2 weeks

I was very surprised Amber actually came out after just 1 week between her being active yesterday. Perhaps feeding them a lot is not the best idea since they haven't been basking?
I am surprised they are eating-- that would explain the undigested food -- I am not sure about feeding them - we need to ask @AHBD

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom