Brumation Period

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaNToX76

Hatchling Member
Hey,

So I was wondering, being that I've had my beardie since August. But She hit brumation around October/November and has yet to become active again? Is this unusual? I mean how many months do they go without activity/ regular eating? I take her out every couple of days for a bath to rehydrate and try to feed some dubia which she accepts but then goes back to sleep...

Should I be concerned ? Could I be doing something wrong? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, brumating for 6 months seems like an awful long time. Since it is spring now, she should be starting to become more active. I think it would be a good idea to take a fecal sample to be checked for parasites.

What UVB are you using and how old is the bulb? Has she been basking after she eats the dubia? What are your temps and are you using either a temp gun or digital with probe to check them? Is she housed alone? How is her coloring? Does she wake up when she is in her bath or does she seem lethargic even then?

SaNToX76

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That could probably be it... I haven't changed her UVB (Reptisun 10.0 32'' in a 20gallon long) since she started brumated i figured id wait till she became more active again to change it... She does bask for a little while after eating but then sleeps. Im gonna have to give that a shot first i suppose and how could I give her a fecal sample if she never goes? Definately wakes up in her bath and when held doesn't really seem lethargic at all and likes to explore around for her next solitary spot to sleep if she can't get to her tank. Thanks for responding diamc, this has me concerend since this period of time does seem long...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, I would definitely get her a new bulb. Have you been giving her calcium orally mixed with either Pedialyte or water? How long has it been since she pooped? Have you been massaging her right side while in the bath? You could also give very warm babyfood applesauce with the calcium in it and diluted a little, put drops on her nose for her to lick off. Or, give a few drops of vegetable oil.

Could you answer the other questions just to make sure we're not missing anything?

SaNToX76

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I take her temps with a digital kept in the viv but no probe, around 85* usually. Yes I do massage her sides and keep her in warm water for about 20 minutes for her bath but she's not a fan. Hasn't pooped in a while... I wish i could say two weeks but I don't even remember it being that recent ago... Being that it's my first time experiencing brumation i had no idea how long I could safely expect for her to stay asleep so I let her be. I'll be tryin to pick up a new light this weekend along with getting her some overpast due calcium but thats easier said than done when she doesnt like to drink or eat...

Any other questions ud like answered? or suggestions to improve status?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, thanks for answering the questions. If you're not using a probe thermometer then you're not getting good temps. If the temps are off, they won't do well and can cause all kinds of health issues. Here's a picture of a thermometer you can get at Walmart for about $12.00, the AcuRite brand, it gives both basking & cool side temps at the same time as well as the humidity. It should be in the area where the plastic outdoor thermometers are sold. You place the probe end so that it is resting on the basking site with the thermometer part way over on the bottom of the cool side, wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising, then the "out" reading will be the basking temp & the "in" reading for the cool side.
100_0297.jpg

You've been getting a temp of 85? What wattage basking bulb are you using in the 20 gallon? Is it a white or colored bulb? How many inches is the UVB from her when she is basking? Have you always used the same wattage basking bulb as you're using now?

How old is your beardie? Is she under a year old? When you give her a bath, do you put some type of cloth down in the bottom? That always helps them feel more secure & keeps them from sliding around.

I do think you need to act fast because I'm concerned that she went into brumation only a few short months after you got her. Has she lost any weight? I'm thinking you need to get a good thermometer to get a basking temp of a little over 100 degrees with a cool side of about 80, a new UVB, feed her some calcium mixed in with baby food applesauce or 100% canned pumpkin so you can get a poop sample to have checked, increase the bathing to 2 times a day to make sure she isn't impacted. Do you think you can make these changes very soon? These issues are extremely important and you need to act fast because all these things could prevent her from ever getting any better. Please answer the other questions for me, ok?

SaNToX76

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
You've been getting a temp of 85? What wattage basking bulb are you using in the 20 gallon? Is it a white or colored bulb? How many inches is the UVB from her when she is basking? Have you always used the same wattage basking bulb as you're using now?

How old is your beardie? Is she under a year old? When you give her a bath, do you put some type of cloth down in the bottom? That always helps them feel more secure & keeps them from sliding around.

I do think you need to act fast because I'm concerned that she went into brumation only a few short months after you got her. Has she lost any weight? I'm thinking you need to get a good thermometer to get a basking temp of a little over 100 degrees with a cool side of about 80, a new UVB, feed her some calcium mixed in with baby food applesauce or 100% canned pumpkin so you can get a poop sample to have checked, increase the bathing to 2 times a day to make sure she isn't impacted. Do you think you can make these changes very soon? These issues are extremely important and you need to act fast because all these things could prevent her from ever getting any better. Please answer the other questions for me, ok?

Basking/Heating bulb is colored (red) and I want to say 75watts. Had a different bulb but it fried one day once again since she doesn't come out much I didn't see it as something that must get replaced right away. UVB is less than a foot from her basking spot and hits her directly, I have no top on the tank because she never tries nor is big enough to climb out. Her birthday is posted on the sig, 3.6.08 so yes shes a little over a year now and slightly over a foot in length. Yes I put a cloth on the bottom of her tub which is twice aslong as she is but her width. Has not lost any weight since her brumation though which kept me thinkin it was still normal.

SFK34134.JPG

This is the therm I use, I went to wal-mart to look but they never had one anywhere with a probe or I wouldve sprung for it. On my way now to the store to get her some applesauce and mix with calcium. Gave her a bath just now but didnt use the bathroom but she is basking and alert maybe for some dubias? But id rather not keep feeding till i know whats goin on... And yes she will start gettin bathed twice a day then. Changes apparently must be made.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I typed up a long response but then my computer locked up but I will retype it now.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since you can use a standard household light bulb for a basking bulb, I suggest you replace the red bulb with either a 60 or 75 watt because colored bulbs can be very hard on their eyes and they have more energy and respond better to bright lights.

The Repti-Sun bulb should actually be placed right along side a white basking bulb and should be 6 to 8" from her when she is basking. Any further away and it really isn't much benefit. Since the bulb is over 6 months old, it actually hasn't been doing her much good if at all. Since the bulb is her tank, you will need to make an adjustment of the bulb or make her basking area higher to raise her 2 to 4 inches closer to the UVB.

Since she's a little over a yr old, she must have been about 6 months old when she started acting that way? A beardie only 6 mo old shouldn't be brumating, maybe having a little slow down in her eating but not sleeping as much and as long as yours has been. So, I believe the combination of the old UVB, it being too far from her, the temps not being accurate and the lack of calcium & supplements has caused this decline in her health which in turn caused the lack of appetite and no pooping. Have you weighed her to be sure she hasn't lost any weight? What substrate is on the bottom of the tank? Do you have her in with any other beardies?

That thermometer won't give you accurate readings. There are some that you can order online and if you want me to post the links for you, I will gladly do that. Or you could even get a mini temp gun online also. Home Depot or Lowe's should have either of them too. If you're looking for a digital, make sure it has the long wire with probe on the end.

Did you try the warmed babyfood applesauce with a little calcium in it? I agree that it's best to go easy on the dubias, a better idea would be to feed some chicken babyfood with some squash babyfood and a little Pedialyte or water to thin it a little and also warm it up slightly. Use a plastic medicine dropper by putting drops on her nose and once she gets a taste of it, she should really like it. Use a smaller amt of chicken with a larger amt of the squash. You should feed her mostly things that she can pass easily and that's why I suggested the babyfood as it's easy to digest and should help clean her out. Another thing that should help with the pooping is using a rice sock, fill a sock with rice & tie a knot in the end, heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds, test the temp by the side of your cheek, it should feel quite warm but not hot, wrap the sock up in a hand towel, then wrap that and your beardie up in a big fluffy towel and lay her right down in her tank. The sock can be reheated as many times as necessary.

Let me know how things go. We need to get her on track. :wink:

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hello
You have gotten some great advice here.I think part of the reason why your beardie is lethargic is going to be the need for the bright white lighting and the temps will most likely need adjustment.I have a feeling when you make these corrections that you will see major improvements.Its not normally for a beardie to be brumating for that length of time.It is possible for them to experience semi brumation behavior throughout the colder months but true brumation doesnt last but a few months tops.I dont remember if Diamc told you where in walmart to find that thermometer but its generally with the indoor.outdoor themometers back by hardware not in the pet section.You could also try picking up so Repta-aid critical care to see if you can get the appetite stimulated.So your beardie hasnt lost any weight?How old is your beardie?

SaNToX76

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yesterday I got her a new zoo-med 75watt basking bulb which read about 100* on my therm but today when I put directly under and left it under I guess it got too hot and Fried because now that therm doesnt even work...I did manage to pick up the only therm I saw with a probe but it just looks like it wont work so im still on the hunt...She seemed to enjoy basking in the new light but i think i'll see the biggest changes once I get the new UVB. Im getting dressed now to go check a nearby store...Im in RI and not from this area so I don't really know where to get things.

She took some of the applesauce with calcium but didnt really take to it like I hoped she would and chased down 1 dubia since... In the morning she seems slightly aggrivated and was streaking under her stomach so I took her out and sat her on my lap as typing this and she becomes more active and starts lookin around...

Could it be that although she has a bright tank...My apt isnt exactly very bright even in the day time?

**** ALSO **** Unfortunately, the only nearby store to get the bulb if they have it would be this one pet store called "Regal reptiles" In Providence, RI... they are unhumane to their selection of adult beardies which i assume they just have for breeding...laying in empty small tanks with sand , a light, and feces nothing else... I'd hate to even give them money but the pet store I traveled to in MASS yesterday only carried reptisun 10.0 in the 12 or 18 inch size...and yes, she is atleast 8 inches to the UVB bulb with nothing blocking it.

Leaving to the store now...wish me luck...

SaNToX76

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Store wen't well, I now have a new 24' UVB Zoomed 10.0 Reptisun bulb working, and a 75watt Basking Bulb...Fed her a couple dubias since I did notice a slight change in activity...She seems to be active when I take her half log sleepin hut out of the tank otherwise she'll find it and sleep in the whole day like today..

I measured her and she's only slightly over 1FT long including tail . Shouldn't she be bigger than this by now? :-\ I was told the size of her tank would not prohibit her from quickly outgrowing it but its been a yr and she's still this size...I have her in a 20ft long gallon tank. Still no fecal sample available for testing...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that you found the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent and are now using a white basking bulb. Is the UVB about 6 to 8" from her and is it right alongside the basking bulb? Were you able to get a good probe thermometer? Were any of the links that I shared helpful?

Yes, she should be longer than 12" but since she was sleeping & not eating right for so long, it has affected her growth. How often are you giving the calcium & vitamin supplements? Are you continuing to give the warm applesauce to help with a poop sample or did you decide to try the 100% pumpkin instead? It's very important that you get her to poop and also to take a sample to be checked for parasites. Did you increase the bathing? She is housed alone, correct?

What is she eating in a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk
Hi everyone, I have a question please. I have a thick branch I got from outside. It has been in freezing temperatures so I know that it is insect free. I took it off the ground and sat it up during a night we got down to 15 so the entire thing would freeze. Well tonight I put white vinegar all over it too cleanse it since it won't fit in my oven. Do I need to rinse with water tomorrow or is it fine left alone dried?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DMike
Top Bottom