Brumation or sick?

My Biscotti

Beardie name(s)
Biscotti
Hello to All;

I'm a little concerned about my beardie, Biscotti. Everything has been fine, but now this past week, biscotti is in the right side corner, eyes open, (I'll see if I can add pics), his head is up, and stays there, not eating. I can't tell if brumating due to eyes opened and head raised up like that. You can see in the pics I attached. I wonder if tank is too cool.

D55299F2-7BB4-4392-ACDF-4585FB2F84E8.jpeg
D55299F2-7BB4-4392-ACDF-4585FB2F84E8.jpeg

Attachments

• 956BDB35-87C5-4FE6-B61A-C6177521D260.jpeg
    956BDB35-87C5-4FE6-B61A-C6177521D260.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 53
  • B1590880-2BDC-4959-96F6-D66D4EA2864F.jpeg
    B1590880-2BDC-4959-96F6-D66D4EA2864F.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 80A0A7A3-CFE9-4BC3-AAF4-EAC380300F7C.jpeg
    80A0A7A3-CFE9-4BC3-AAF4-EAC380300F7C.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 63

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible he is just going through a slower period. Not necessarily full on brumation but they do tend to go through cycles of high energy and low energy levels at times. Your setup looks pretty good. You might want to move the UVB fixture over next to the basking light, but that's a fairly minor adjustment. What are the surface temps around the enclosure? I'd probably shoot for around 100-105 on the green platform and maybe 75-80 or so over by the log he is hiding under. That would create a nice gradient for him to choose from. I think that if the enclosure was too cool, he would move toward the basking light rather than hanging out under his log on the cool side.

My Biscotti

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Biscotti
It's possible he is just going through a slower period. Not necessarily full on brumation but they do tend to go through cycles of high energy and low energy levels at times. Your setup looks pretty good. You might want to move the UVB fixture over next to the basking light, but that's a fairly minor adjustment. What are the surface temps around the enclosure? I'd probably shoot for around 100-105 on the green platform and maybe 75-80 or so over by the log he is hiding under. That would create a nice gradient for him to choose from. I think that if the enclosure was too cool, he would move toward the basking light rather than hanging out under his log on the cool side.
That makes total sense, thank you! As far as the UVB, I have that 18" UVB on right, and I bought that Power Sun, here's the description of that:
  • - The PowerSun UV is a self-ballasted mercury vapor lamp which emits UVA, UVB and heat all in one lamp!
  • - Fits into a standard ceramic socket. (No ballast needed.)
  • - The 160 Watt projects UVB up to several feet from the lamps surface and is ideal for large terrariums or bird aviaries.
So that is on the left side with the 150 ceramic heat emitter. (Both in a double dome)
So it's about 99 right now near that green platform, sometimes if real hot out it rise to 103. and the right side is about 80 to 85.

You're so kind, thank you. I worry all the time. :) Especially after losing my 3 year old beardie.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That makes total sense, thank you! As far as the UVB, I have that 18" UVB on right, and I bought that Power Sun, here's the description of that:
  • - The PowerSun UV is a self-ballasted mercury vapor lamp which emits UVA, UVB and heat all in one lamp!
  • - Fits into a standard ceramic socket. (No ballast needed.)
  • - The 160 Watt projects UVB up to several feet from the lamps surface and is ideal for large terrariums or bird aviaries.
So that is on the left side with the 150 ceramic heat emitter. (Both in a double dome)
So it's about 99 right now near that green platform, sometimes if real hot out it rise to 103. and the right side is about 80 to 85.

You're so kind, thank you. I worry all the time. :) Especially after losing my 3 year old beardie.
Please get the T 8 unobstructed- and if the bulb is over 5 months change it- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen - it needs to be directly above the basking decor piece 6-8 inches no plastic cover over the bulb as well

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 160w PowerSun should provide plenty of UVB over on the basking side. Not as wide of a spread as the tube style bulbs have, but should be enough power and width at that height. Temps sound like they're pretty good. Gradient is decent, but 85 might be getting a bit warm on the cool side. That will likely fluctuate a bit with the ambient temps though. I don't think you need to worry about the setup in this case.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom