Brumation or Illness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rshall89

Brief info:
How old is your dragon? hatched june 13-15, so 6-7 months
How long have you had your dragon? since early august
How long is your dragon? 9 1/2 inches (she weighed 50 grams at 1st vet check and using my crappy scale i weighed her out to 47.5 grams
What is the sex of your dragon? female
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 38 inches x28 inches x 24 inches
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? tile
Do you use UVB lights? yes i use t-rex active uv heat(uva and uvb)
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? i am guessing MVB, because its not the other 3
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?t-rex active uv heat 100wat
How old is your UVB bulb? a few weeks old had to replace old one that broke
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? 1 foot from it
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? no
What are the basking temps? 100-110
What is the cool side temp? 70-80
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?temp gun
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? beneath the bulb, on the rock and on the stick
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. i feed hear meal worms at the moment
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? i keep extra meal worms in with her, they dont seem much like biters but i could be wrong
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? i feed them carrots and oatmeal
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? i got a calcium supplement recently with my bulb for free i have not used yet
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? she has not had a bowel movement in a week or 2
Do you bath your dragon? How often? i use to bath her pretty often but she really hates the water it seems so i do it every few days like 4
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? yeah there is a water dish in her cage
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? yes i recently with to the vet twice, first time we found out she had coccidium, i got medicine for her but when we returned vet gave clean bill of health even though he still wants to do a fecal test(she hasnt had a bowel movement since before my 2nd vet trip which was 1/13 i think)

Marley seems to not be eating much, meal worms are still running around in her cage and she doesnt eat any of the vegetables that i put in there and i've tried a few different types because i know dragons r picky. I would think this all Brumation because she also sleeps alot until recently I started seeing that she was more active(last 2 days at the max), shes not a major improvement yet still sleeps alot, but she hasnt had a bowel movement and that doesnt seem healthy at all. I am also worried shes not growing from this, at 6 months on most growth charts it seems that the age that they start looking like young adults but she still seems to look like a big juvenile to me.

Kasinda

Im not an expert Ive only had my beardy since Nov. But from the books and from reading posts on here. There are a couple things i can think of. The meal worms might have her impacted. Have you felt her belly does she have any lumps in there? Do you give her a bath? When I was worried they told me to give Deja a warm 20 min bath and gently rub her belly down words she might be impacted that could be a reason she is not eating. Also it is important to give her calcim and multivitems. When you feed her dust her insects with the calciam once a day and the mulit dust 1 a week. also I think I read that you don't have a basking balb is that right? What do you have to make the cage diffrent temps in the basking spot. I know that a basking light is important it keeps the beardy warm. Okay I just reread your post and noticed you do have a 100 wt bulb sorry opps.

I hope someone who really knows what they are talking about can help you out. I hope your beardy feels better soon.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I don't know how comon this is but Zoom Zoom is not eating also. She's about the same age as your's. This is based on what we were told by the place we bought her from. She's been doing this for the last month or so. She eats but not much. She also seems to want to sleep most of the day. The strange thing is she hasn't gained any weight, infact she lost 2 grams which scares us a little as we lost a loved beardie that quit eating, but that was in June, about 3.5 years ago. Anyway, Zoom Zoom has gained just over 1/2 inch in length during this time. I know its not normal for a beardie under one year to brumate but, apparently it does happen.

rshall89

Original Poster
its not impaction the vet checked her belly when we i went and i dont think its a lack of calcium either because the vet told me worms are high in calcium. I guess its only brumation but shes gotten real skinny and she just had coccidium and she hasnt pooped in a while so my vet hasnt done the test to see if shes back to 100% healthy.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
If she's brumating, she won't loose a lot of weight, maybe a gram or two. Since she's gotten real skinny, something is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom