brumation or illness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amelia1

my bearded dragon has been sleeping a lot and refusing to eat for the past 2-3 weeks. not sure if he’s going into brumation or if he’s sick. he started sleeping a lot in mid september, is that too early? i’ve been taking him out sometimes and he’ll walk around for a little bit and then he finds a place to sleep. a few days ago i got him to eat some mealworms and greens but barely anything. he also hasn’t pooped in a while. vets are expensive so i’d rather not have to take him in but does anyone know if this is too early to start brumation? that’s what it seems like but i’m not sure

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Brumation can mimic incorrect UVB --- what are you using for a UVB and what are your basking temps? How are you taking them --- we need to rule out the lighting first before we can actually summarize brumation -- it is possible the dragon is slowing down and getting ready as it is that time of year but lets rule out the lighting and temps first ---

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How old is your dragon?
Let's review your tank setup just to be sure that your lighting, temperatures are all good.
Is he maintaining his weight right now?
Many times, they will start to brumate or slow down in the summer to early fall so this
month is definitely not too early for him to slow down some.

Tracie

amelia1

Original Poster
KarrieRee":368yeyyn said:
Brumation can mimic incorrect UVB --- what are you using for a UVB and what are your basking temps? How are you taking them --- we need to rule out the lighting first before we can actually summarize brumation -- it is possible the dragon is slowing down and getting ready as it is that time of year but lets rule out the lighting and temps first ---
i just replaced his uvb bulb about 3 weeks ago, 26 watt i think. and his basking spot is around 98°. i check temps with the zoo med reptitemp digital thermometer

amelia1

Original Poster
Drache613":23gpga22 said:
Hello,

How old is your dragon?
Let's review your tank setup just to be sure that your lighting, temperatures are all good.
Is he maintaining his weight right now?
Many times, they will start to brumate or slow down in the summer to early fall so this
month is definitely not too early for him to slow down some.

Tracie
he is almost 3 years old. i just replaced his uvb bulb about 3 weeks ago and his basking spot is around 98°. i have not weighed him but he appears to not have lost any weight

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The 26 watt is a coil --- it needs to be UNOBSTRUCTED in a reflective dome distance approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor- I recommend you change that out completely and get a long tube fixture like a 24" Zoo Med or Sunblaster Nano or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb --- they are a better UVB than the coils --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom