Brumation in the Summer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

alk263

Hello. Is it possible that my dragon could be starting brumation in June? He was a year old in March and did not do any of this in the winter. During the past week he has been disinterested in his food and has been slightly lethargic. The past couple days he has been sleeping non-stop and I am very concerned. He has always loved crickets and does not seem to want to eat them, so I bought him some vegetables and he ate a few but he loves to eat so I'm concerned. Does anyone have any advice??? :(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well depending on how you have your lights set your beardie could think it is winter time by the hours of light he is getting. But has he been eating well before that? There is a possibility that he could be sick just keep an eye on him.

alk263

Original Poster
My lights have been set the same as they have been the whole time I've had him. Although the UVB light came a part and I didn't have it on him for a few weeks but I turned it back on this past week.

I don't understand why that would influence his behavior. How do I know for sure if he is sick? And what do I do? I'm concerned because he hasn't had anything to eat in a couple days. I don't want anything to happen to him!

Please help...

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello and Welcome to the forum,

Sorry to hear your beardies not doing well. Loss of appetite and lethargy are definitely signs of something going on. Is he exhibiting any other signs... such as a blackbeard? We should go over your set up to rule out any problems with husbandry first.

What Brand and Type UVB are you using? fluorescent tube, compact, coil or mvb?
How close can your beardie get to the UVB and Basking bulb?
What type and watt basking bulb?
What are the temps in basking and coolside?
How are you measuring the temps? digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end, stick on or temp gun?
What are you feeding your beardie?
Are you dusting his food with Calcium and Multivitamins? How often?
Do you bathe/soak your beardie? How often?
When was the last time your beardie pooped?
When was your beardies last fecal exam?

If you could answer these questions...it will help us with trying to figure out what is going on with your beardie.

Dawn :D

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
All through this winter, I thought Budo was brumating. :oops: Then, near the end of March, I decided to have a fecal test done, just to be sure. Sure enough, he was loaded with both pinworms and coccidia.

Internal parasites cause loss of appetite and lethargy. I confused them with brumation.

If I were you, I'd have a fecal test done. Put some feces in a bag, write "<beardie's name> the bearded dragon" on it, and drop it off at the vet's. It shouldn't cost much at all. Trust me, if your beardie has parasites, it's so much better to catch it early! Here I'm stuck with months of vet appointments, meds, and fecal tests, which isn't too easy on my wallet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom