Brumation in the Spring?

lincolnsmom

Hi! I took my beardie to the vet for her yearly checkup back in February and she got the all-clear for her health. I also updated her Arcadia uv bulb in January. However, she is now starting to display signs of brumation. She is lazier, sleeping longer, staying in her hide, and has reduced her feeding and pooping. She is eating maybe 2-3 times a week and pooping about every 1.5 weeks. She hasn't had a black beard or any other indications that she is sick, but it is spring where I am located so I am surprised by her behavior. Has anyone else had their beardie start brumation in the Spring?? Maybe it could be attributed to the time change or a brief cold week we had a few weeks back? Thanks!

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Hi! I took my beardie to the vet for her yearly checkup back in February and she got the all-clear for her health. I also updated her Arcadia uv bulb in January. However, she is now starting to display signs of brumation. She is lazier, sleeping longer, staying in her hide, and has reduced her feeding and pooping. She is eating maybe 2-3 times a week and pooping about every 1.5 weeks. She hasn't had a black beard or any other indications that she is sick, but it is spring where I am located so I am surprised by her behavior. Has anyone else had their beardie start brumation in the Spring?? Maybe it could be attributed to the time change or a brief cold week we had a few weeks back? Thanks!
Have you checked the temperature, is it the right temperature?
If it isn’t and it is colder than the natural temperature that would be the case. How long has she been doing this for? Usually bearded dragons will brumate for a few weeks at least. But more often than not a good three months plus.

lincolnsmom

Original Poster
thanks for the reply! She has only been doing this since the beginning of March. Her tank temps are usually pretty consistent, but we did have a warm week in February before it got colder again. I also shifted her light schedule up an hour when daylight savings started a few weeks back. Maybe a combo between the external temps and daylight savings time could be throwing her off?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The seasons in Australia are reversed to the United States 🇺🇸, so their biological clock can get confused. Most likely that is what is happening. Imho if they decide to brumate we should accommodate them.

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
thanks for the reply! She has only been doing this since the beginning of March. Her tank temps are usually pretty consistent, but we did have a warm week in February before it got colder again. I also shifted her light schedule up an hour when daylight savings started a few weeks back. Maybe a combo between the external temps and daylight savings time could be throwing her off?
It is probably because their biological clock can gets confused (what xp29 said). But if you have further inquiries you may want to ask your vet or ask a b.d sicko (may be not spellling it right).

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom