Brumation fear

Status
Not open for further replies.

katk

Original Poster
AHBD":3jg743ls said:
Hi there, my dragons have gone through similar things many times over the years. Your dragon will eventually poo, don't worry about that. The 2 I have now are nearly 10 years old and every brumation is a little different and the poo schedule can go way off with NO problem at all. They are built that way . Offer the pumpkin or baby food squash with a few drops of raw honey + veg. oil if you like. No need to weigh him all the time either. A good warm soak once a week and he will eventually go. Let him do his thing, they know what they're doing. :) Try not to worry !

Thanks a bunch, this makes me feel better! :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It really sounds like he is trying to brumate. If his weight is stable, as it should be during
brumation that is a great sign of health.
How are his colors looking, no black beard?
For now, you can just keep an eye on him but let him sleep & nap right now, so he can
get some rest. They do start wanting to sit or lay on the cooler end when they slow down,
so that is definitely normal behavior.

Tracie

katk

Original Poster
Thanks, Tracie! That's reassuring. He's isn't exactly sleeping, he's just not moving but looking out the window with his head raised like in this pic (not from today but very similar).
109407-889122514.jpg
This might be a dumb question, but when I periodically weigh him (which already seems disruptive during this time), do I just put him right back in his cool spot where he was?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He kooks great ! And yes, put him in or near the same area after weighing. He may revive or go right back to sleep. And you don't need to wake him from a dead sleep every week, every 2 weeks or so is fine. I don't weigh mine anymore, they lose a bit but gain it right back after the long sleep.

katk

Original Poster
AHBD":1q7l5728 said:
He kooks great ! And yes, put him in or near the same area after weighing. He may revive or go right back to sleep. And you don't need to wake him from a dead sleep every week, every 2 weeks or so is fine. I don't weigh mine anymore, they lose a bit but gain it right back after the long sleep.

Okay, great, thanks! Like I said, that pic was from a few weeks ago but that's pretty much how he looks (and he's in the same spot).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh , I misunderstood and thought he was sleeping in a hide. I might have gotten you mixed up with another member that has a brumation concern thread. Your dragon is slowing down a bit but not brumating yet. It may turn in to brumation though.

katk

Original Poster
AHBD":rmsktgig said:
Oh , I misunderstood and thought he was sleeping in a hide. I might have gotten you mixed up with another member that has a brumation concern thread. Your dragon is slowing down a bit but not brumating yet. It may turn in to brumation though.

Okay, how long does it take until he's in full brumation and how do I know? He's stays in the same position under his green plant on the coolest side of his tank and he raises his head during the day and just sits there all day like that. He's been doing this all summer. He has no interest in veggies or dubia when I offer them, but he has eaten some mealworms while we were out of town and someone was caring for him. He hasn't pooped in 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom