Brumation and vitamins/calcium/UVB question

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys I'm sticking to my vets recommendation and giving my beardies a bath a week and feeding on those days. My question is should I be worried about vitamins UVB and calcium deficiency? They are not basking and rarely eat more than 5-10 crickets a week with some mealworms they are in full brumation mode.

I just worry since they are not basking for heat or UVB how can I make sure they get enough while also catering to their brumation? They basically bask to warm up after a bath then when they are warm enough they go back to sleep

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey guys I'm sticking to my vets recommendation and giving my beardies a bath a week and feeding on those days. My question is should I be worried about vitamins UVB and calcium deficiency? They are not basking and rarely eat more than 5-10 crickets a week with some mealworms they are in full brumation mode.

I just worry since they are not basking for heat or UVB how can I make sure they get enough while also catering to their brumation? They basically bask to warm up after a bath then when they are warm enough they go back to sleep
If the dragon is in full brumation I would not be bothering them as often as you are --- they dont need bathing once a week and should only be given water every couple of weeks to keep them hydrated and maybe a weight watch --- they normally dont eat when in full brumation - keeping them hydrated is good tho --- so offering water to them either by dropping on the nose or bathing but I would not be feeding them since they are not basking at this time --- we can have some others on here chime in on this
@AHBD

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
If the dragon is in full brumation I would not be bothering them as often as you are --- they dont need bathing once a week and should only be given water every couple of weeks to keep them hydrated and maybe a weight watch --- they normally dont eat when in full brumation - keeping them hydrated is good tho --- so offering water to them either by dropping on the nose or bathing but I would not be feeding them since they are not basking at this time --- we can have some others on here chime in on this
@AHBD
I was doing it every 2 weeks but he said to do it 1 time a week I mean I do sometimes go 1 1/2 weeks. My Amber who I just bathed wanted 3 tiny mealworms but then refused and decided to bask. She (Amber) was waiting as soon as I looked in her hide she instantly popped out.

Perhaps it's not a full brumation just yet any insight is welcome 😁. Out of my two girls Chubbs will eat 5-10 crickets but mostly less than 5. Amber seems to eat mealworms exclusively but not many as I have said.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was doing it every 2 weeks but he said to do it 1 time a week I mean I do sometimes go 1 1/2 weeks. My Amber who I just bathed wanted 3 tiny mealworms but then refused and decided to bask. She (Amber) was waiting as soon as I looked in her hide she instantly popped out.

Perhaps it's not a full brumation just yet
Ok so either they are being lazy dragons or the semi brumation thing which means they will sleep for a week or two come out bask eat and maybe bask some more then go back to sleep again -- you dont want them eating and not basking at all ---

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok so either they are being lazy dragons or the semi brumation thing which means they will sleep for a week or two come out bask eat and maybe bask some more then go back to sleep again -- you dont want them eating and not basking at all ---
It's semi- brumation my apologies

They generally only come out when I bathe them then they bask warm up and sleep again. The bath is for hydration just to keep up with it though it doesn't always get them to drink

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They can brumate just partially & not really wanting to eat much at all & only sleeping for
part of the time.
So, instead of bathing often, if you do get him out, you can use a plastic dropper to simply
drop water on the end of his nose to get some hydration into him if he needs it.
If his weight is stable I would let him be a little lazy, & he will eventually come out of his phase.

Tracie

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hello,

They can brumate just partially & not really wanting to eat much at all & only sleeping for
part of the time.
So, instead of bathing often, if you do get him out, you can use a plastic dropper to simply
drop water on the end of his nose to get some hydration into him if he needs it.
If his weight is stable I would let him be a little lazy, & he will eventually come out of his phase.

Tracie
Normally my Amber gets her hydration from greens which she has no appetite really. My Chubbs only drinks if I bathe her she has done it since I rescued her I normally go 1-2 weeks or so between baths.

They are normally great eaters too but since the colder months arrived I have seen it disappear. Though from my experience once it warms up they will try to pack on whatever weight they have lost 😁

Thanks for the advice and your input

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom