brumation? and diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

reytamminen

Original Poster
hi all! at what age do beardies start brumating? i’ve tried googling but answers are inconsistent. chompy is 10 months (he’ll be 11 mo in 10 days) and he’s displaying the basic signs of brumation (sleeping more and decreased appetite). it’s wintertime here so it makes sense. how can i get him to eat stuff while he’s beumating? he’s at that time where i have to start weaning him from mainly protein to mainly veg - but he has ZERO interest in his salad. and unfortunately because it’s wintertime we can’t order his crix from where we usually do- so we can’t buy them in bulk. anyways- there are days where he ONLY wants to eat veg or ONLY crix, he’s a very picky eater. do you have any ideas on how to make him more interested in his salad? he usually gets collard greens, occasionally add some fruits or other vegs to add variety. his salad is dusted w calcium powder everyday, i used to put dried crix on his salad bc it would make him eat it but he’s dehydrated so i’m going with bsfl as soon as i can find it in a pet store.

also! he’s 10 months old, 22 inches and 483 grams. is he at a healthy weight?? he seems skinny to me- but that could just be because he hasn’t been eating as much

any ideas help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
hi all! at what age do beardies start brumating? i’ve tried googling but answers are inconsistent. chompy is 10 months (he’ll be 11 mo in 10 days) and he’s displaying the basic signs of brumation (sleeping more and decreased appetite). it’s wintertime here so it makes sense. how can i get him to eat stuff while he’s beumating? he’s at that time where i have to start weaning him from mainly protein to mainly veg - but he has ZERO interest in his salad. and unfortunately because it’s wintertime we can’t order his crix from where we usually do- so we can’t buy them in bulk. anyways- there are days where he ONLY wants to eat veg or ONLY crix, he’s a very picky eater. do you have any ideas on how to make him more interested in his salad? he usually gets collard greens, occasionally add some fruits or other vegs to add variety. his salad is dusted w calcium powder everyday, i used to put dried crix on his salad bc it would make him eat it but he’s dehydrated so i’m going with bsfl as soon as i can find it in a pet store.

also! he’s 10 months old, 22 inches and 483 grams. is he at a healthy weight?? he seems skinny to me- but that could just be because he hasn’t been eating as much

any ideas help!
Please get some dubias ordered from here ASAP- they are a better feeder anyway and will last longer -- www.dubiaroaches.com this is a great place to order from and they will be shutting down today for 2 weeks for Xmas -- I would get around 200 from them order large I am thinking if hes 10 months you can get a 10 gallon aquarium and keep them in there feed dubia food along w/ dubia dew - as far as diet and brumation it sounds like the weather related behavior - they will slow down on eating - keep track of his weight kitchen food scale weigh in grams --- since hes not eating salads keep him hydrated by either offering water on his nose a bath every 10 days or so if hes drinking in his bath - - you can get him some horn worms from dubias too they are a great hydrating worm - order small amount as they grow really fast - you can feed him 1-2 per day - super worms are great too I get them from here Fluker Farms - Order Live Crickets, Mealworms, Superworms they only have large and you will need something to keep them in they come in a tube - plastic container w/ holes in the lid and feed bran if you can find it or feed regular oatmeal w/ carrots for hydration --- your dragons weight is good -- so the lack of appetite could be why hes not eating so much--- if he starts to lose a lot of weight a fecal might be in order to check for parasites -- NO enemas ---you can take a fecal into the vet drop it off have them test for parasites -- make sure your lighting is up to par --- temps are surface temps being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and NO coils for a UVB they are inadequate --- you want a long tube fixture properly placed in the tank for best rays --- if you need more help please ask --

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango

any ideas help!
normally they start to brumate at 1year and older. And they don't need to eat before or during brumating but before you turn there lights off once you see them going to sleep make sure they poo bc anything left over in there gut will mold and cause tons of problems and i would occasionally puut fruit in his salad and feed the fruit to him with tweezers or whatever you use and have him eat it above his food than he'll most likely want more salad. Yup 22 inches is GREAT hes almost at 2 feet! The weight is good as well and one question have you had him for 10 months or did they just tell you how old he was when you go him? and this really does show you how fast males grow than females because i have a female dragon whose 18 inches 15.9 oz and shes a year old :)

reytamminen

Original Poster
normally they start to brumate at 1year and older. And they don't need to eat before or during brumating but before you turn there lights off once you see them going to sleep make sure they poo bc anything left over in there gut will mold and cause tons of problems and i would occasionally puut fruit in his salad and feed the fruit to him with tweezers or whatever you use and have him eat it above his food than he'll most likely want more salad. Yup 22 inches is GREAT hes almost at 2 feet! The weight is good as well and one question have you had him for 10 months or did they just tell you how old he was when you go him? and this really does show you how fast males grow than females because i have a female dragon whose 18 inches 15.9 oz and shes a year old :)
we’ve had him for 11 months! he was 4 weeks old when we got him and he’ll be turning a year old in 3-4 weeks :) he pooped yesterday so he’s all good w that, he usually poops once every 1-3 days

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
we’ve had him for 11 months! he was 4 weeks old when we got him and he’ll be turning a year old in 3-4 weeks :) he pooped yesterday so he’s all good w that, he usually poops once every 1-3 days
He is a big dragon so yes its possible he is trying to brumate -- make sure your lighting is all good if its off it can send them into a brumation type state --- no coils for a UVB and no off white basking bulbs no yellowish bulbs no daytime bulbs - your basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and those are surface temps -- your UVB if its a tube needs to be correctly placed for the screen you have on the tank -- all this is extremely important --- if you want to go over this please post and we can see if it needs to be fixed --- dragons do not eat when in brumation here is some info for you on that

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
ok great i think i gave you pretty much all the basics with brumation unless you have more questions:>

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member

any ideas help!
Hi, since a parasite infestation can mimic brumation, it would be a good idea to take a poop sample to be tested right away so it can be ruled out. If they have parasites and aren't treated, it can make them terribly sick since they drain their whole system.

reytamminen

Original Poster
Hi, since a parasite infestation can mimic brumation, it would be a good idea to take a poop sample to be tested right away so it can be ruled out. If they have parasites and aren't treated, it can make them terribly sick since they drain their whole system.
hi tysm!! i called the vet in ocotover to do the basic checkup and run tests amd stuff and they still haven’t called me back bc the waiting list is extremely long. it’s the only reptile vet near me ☹️

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
hi tysm!! i called the vet in ocotover to do the basic checkup and run tests amd stuff and they still haven’t called me back bc the waiting list is extremely long. it’s the only reptile vet near me ☹️
Maybe you could give them another call, let them know that you have some concerns & ask them to put you on the cancellation list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom