Brumation 6 months??

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
Hello
My beardie brumated 3 months in the winter, woke up in February and June went back to sleep and has been sleeping since. Is that normal? I feel like it’s too much, he sits in the shade with eyes open but won’t come out
Temperatures are fine
He’s 7yr old

Attachments

• 3716EFAE-5AB5-470B-99EF-1CE8B95A7225.jpeg
    3716EFAE-5AB5-470B-99EF-1CE8B95A7225.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 88

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello
My beardie brumated 3 months in the winter, woke up in February and June went back to sleep and has been sleeping since. Is that normal? I feel like it’s too much, he sits in the shade with eyes open but won’t come out
Temperatures are fine
He’s 7yr old
Not normal- please go over your uvb your using and surface basking temps-- those should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
I have a mercury vapor bulb under which is 97 degrees right under it and a bit to the side of it is 87-91 and cool side is about 75 degrees (measured with digital thermometer) and a 24inch reptisun 10.0 uvb that’s new
I also turn on the ceramic heater for him at night (hangs above next to uvb)
Nothing changed, that’s the temperatures I had for him always …but this is the first time he sleeps this long

Attachments

• F34F39D6-D6FA-4F79-A0D2-19F7EB771068.jpeg
    F34F39D6-D6FA-4F79-A0D2-19F7EB771068.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 47

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a mercury vapor bulb under which is 97 degrees right under it and a bit to the side of it is 87-91 and cool side is about 75 degrees (measured with digital thermometer) and a 24inch reptisun 10.0 uvb that’s new
I also turn on the ceramic heater for him at night (hangs above next to uvb)
Where is the uvb top of screen or inside the tank? Screen determines where uvb needs to go- fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type-- what brand is the mvb and is it on the screen?

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
There’s no screen it’s inside the tank and he would climb on the branch to sit under it
Zoomed reptisun
Here’s a picture of light set up

Attachments

• 94B52303-DF2F-4150-BCE0-1241E3623A85.jpeg
    94B52303-DF2F-4150-BCE0-1241E3623A85.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 58

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
There’s no screen it’s inside the tank and he would climb on the branch to sit under it
Zoomed reptisun
Here’s a picture of light set up
Is the uvb a T 5 or T 8? What is in the dome by the hammock? It looks way too close- please post a pic of the whole tank set up brand of mvb please and watt

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7

Zoomed reptisun 10.0uvb I’m not sure if it’s t8 or t5 I don’t remember which one I bought but I used the same one for 7yr and he was fine until this year…he used to sleep about 3-4month out of the year.

Basking is Mercury vapor 100w (which is basking +uvb)

The dome next to uvb is the ceramic heat emitter 75w it only goes on at night when the rest of the lights go off - it’s not super hot as it’s only 75w

Attachments

• 270E51DE-9C82-43F0-B170-12FDA7D7F14A.jpeg
    270E51DE-9C82-43F0-B170-12FDA7D7F14A.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 61

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You have had the same type of bulb or the same bulb for 7 years? Uvb bulbs have a year usage life (depending on the bulb)and most of us recommend changing before that unless you have a solarmeter to measure the output.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
No, same fixture
I change the bulb every 6mon for the same kind
Sounds like you have the t8 and to be honest mines didn’t bromate but started to lay around a lot. I switched to the T5 and he’s like night and day. Between the T5 and changing his basking bulb to the intense heat his color is brighter and boy what a energy burst he’s gotten.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
30 in

24in

It’s totally up to you but I would change it out. Tbh I didn’t think it made that much of a difference but it does. The T5 is brighter than the t8.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom