Broly the new super saiyan beardie

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Never mind. I found it. Other side of the screen. But it says "unwatch" and when I clicked there it asked me if I want to unwatch, so I suppose it's set to watch now.
Try unwatching, then set a watch again. Very odd. I did double check that your account is configured to send an email for watches threads.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
@SHBailey Ahhh... I had to literally dig into the database and write some SQL queries to see what was happening here... I don't know when or why, but the Watch for this specific thread is set to only notify but not email. I have just manually changed that for your watch, so I am hoping you will get the email for this reply (although, possibly not since I replied once since your last reply. But going forward, I think it will be better for you for this thread. If you have any other threads you know you want to be notified on, you can unwatch and reset the watch and indicate you want email notification for it as well (an option when setting a watch).

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey, been a while.

Broly got through spring fever and on and off brumation losing 48g. It’s actually not too bad since we did fecal before brumation and after he was done napping on and off. He’s eating greens again, bugs and veggies.

Kane, Jamie and Winry are all waking up as well and will check them out too as soon as they produce a stool sample to test. They’re all at a good weight but then again they didn’t use the bathroom yet.

We found out, Venom our new hamster friend, has dark red eyes (shine a light her eyes are ruby red). She’s also a cream color hamster. Red eyed cream colored hamsters are actually quite common. The care is the same but if you leave the lights on she WILL bar chew viscously. Tom thinks since she bar chews less with the lights off maybe it hurts her eyes. She still bar chews but not for too long though she has other toys haha. Picky girl, at least she likes her wheel. She does get playtime for an hour in a hamster proof room. Managing playtime soon for both daytime animals (all four dragons) and a nighttime creature (hamster) Im gonna be so tired.

It’s everyone’s dinner (cats, dogs and african grey included) so gotta get food for everyone. Venom does get a small salad from leftover food (too much for the dragons).

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hi. I'm still not getting emails to let me know when you post something even though the site administrator tried to fix it.

That's a pretty significant weight loss for Broly. I'm glad you tested him and found nothing wrong. It's good that he's eating again -- he'll probably gain it back. Puff's weight is stable lately, and he's eating well.

It sounds like Venom (love the name) is an albino. My little snake was a "red albino" (sounds like a contridiction) which means that he had red color but no black color. There are also "black albinos" that have black color but no red color. Normal colored ones have both black and red, as well as yellow.

We took Puff to the vet because he hadn't pooped in three weeks, but he finally pooped on the morning of his appointment. We took him anyway because he was due for his annual checkup. He has developed a curved spine and the vet thinks he may have some pinched nerves. We played with the idea of giving him ibuprofen in case he has any pain, but his liver function isn't great so we decided not to do that. He gets a black beard once in a while lately, so I hope he's not feeling really bad. The vet was impressed that he's lasted this long, especially with adenovirus. He'll be 10 years old this spring -- double digits now. I don't know how much longer we'll have him, but we plan to take the best care of him that we can get away with. He'll be our last one -- it's not fair for my husband to get stuck with all the hard work when I'm not up to doing it.

Our weather has been "warm" lately -- right around freezing and a little above, but it's gotten cold again today (teens). Spring is coming sooner or later. Happy St Patrick's day. (I'm part Irish so I get to celebrate.)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I have spoke to Tracie about his weight. I was told it’s ok that he lost that much. He did have spring fever combined with semi brumation. He did barely eat in the dead of winter. He would sleep more. I would be more concerned if it was 100 grams. He should NOT ever lose that much unless sick with parasites or something else. I haven’t weighed since early February. I’ll need to find a day to get that in and check to see if he’s going up. Broly should be since he’s eating so much. He gets whatever he needs bugs/greens/veggies/fruits. He’s fine, doesn’t look sick or skinny. He also has a new UVB. He needs more calcium than a healthier dragon. I was advised four days instead of 3 like other adult dragons. He’s got some aggressive MBD going on. Im thinking his mother, had mbd herself and passed it to eggs.

Venom is definitely albino. She hates lights even if it’s just the reptile lights. It hurts her eyes to even have a light in her direction. We do well with turning off overhead lights. Unfortunately for her the beardies need 14 hours of light. She gets up before they sleep for the night. So she chews on stuff to show her frustration with it. There isn’t much we can do for her especially if we have to keep their lights on.

Congrats on Puff being 10! I had a 10 1/2 year old before passing away. 2004-2014 that was a good chunk of my life. I was 17 when I got him and he passed away when I was almost 28.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like Broly had some good reasons for losing weight, and will probably get back to normal now that he's eating lots again. Puff is still not good about eating veggies, but he does occasionally eat some squash and a few greens, and definitely gets enough crickets..

Puff has a new UVB too. We put it in a month or so ago. We dust his bugs with calcium, and we've never had a problem with MBD. Apparently he has good genes as far as that's concerned, so one less thing to worry about. I guess Broly was just unlucky that way, but he is lucky he's got you to take care of him. The vet thinks Puff may be getting a little arthritis, but not enough to be a problem yet. To be expected at his age.

I suppose you don't need heat lamps for hamsters, especially since they're nocturnal, but I imagine there's an optimum room temperature for them, probably whatever is comfortable for humans. My little gerbil did well at room temperature, but wasn't unto running in his wheel -- he used it for an upstairs bathroom. He was 2 years old when I got him -- someone else didn't want him anymore, and he lived for 2 more years with me. I understand that's a respectable age for a gerbil.

Our snake Squirmles was 15 years old when he died, and I was 60, so my husband pointed out that I had him for 1/4 of my life. That's as long as I've ever had any of my critters, cats and dogs included. I thought he was going to outlive Puff even though Puff was younger, especially since Puff has adenovirus and corn snakes can live to be more than 20. But that's not the way it happened. I think Squirmles may have been inbred and had some genetic time bombs. Breeders like to do a "double het" cross by breeding siblings. Then they get a whole bunch of fancy colors and something for everybody, but it's really not good breeding practice.

Puff has been staying out of his hide for a while but went in it yesterday. We never know if he'll stay "upstairs" on his basking platform, but at least he seems to be getting enough heat and light.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I see. I didn’t know that about snakes.

Definitely hamsters do well at room temp as long as it’s not too cold or their bodies go into shock and their body loses heat. Ive warmed up a few hamsters in my life. It’s not hard but it takes a while to wake them up.

That sucks Puff probably has arthritis. He has better genes than Broly. He’s lucky that way.
Broly’s doing well getting ready to shed his stomach up to his sides.

Our friends, the ants have returned. Maybe not returned because not the same colony. A new queen must be nearby and sending her new scouts for food. I discovered not only do they hate mint but also neem oil/dishsoap spray they don’t like.

People always mass breeding animals for a buck. Making money seems to be what’s on their mind. Some people do care about their animals.

Anyway I thought I’d post an update before sleeping.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Surprise! We finally got this thing working so I get an email when you post something.

Do hamsters ever hibernate when it gets cold?

I guess arthritis would be expected at Puff's age, but he doesn't have a really bad case of it, at least not yet. He's about 10 years old now. He's also getting a curve in his spine, and the vet thinks he may have some pinched nerves and maybe some pain. We were thinking about giving him ibuprofen, but it turned out that his liver function isn't great, so we need to avoid medication unless absolutely necessary. I just hope he's not hurting too much.

Lately he's been going "downstairs" and hanging out in his water dish. That worries me because I'm afraid he'll get too cold. Sometimes we fish him out of there and put him back "upstairs" on his basking platform, because he usually doesn't crawl back up the ramp on his own. It's probably getting really hard for him to go uphill. He's not able to move around very well anymore -- seems to really struggle when he tries. Getting decrepit.

When I lived in Long Beach, ants were definitely a thing. One morning I spaced and left some food out, and when I got home from work there were ants all over the apartment. I got one of those foggers, and after I read all the cautions on the label I was afraid to use it. Meanwhile, once I cleaned up the food, the ants disappeared so I didn't have to. Natural remedies like mint and neem are a much better idea anyway. I didn't know about those things back then.

It's slowly getting warmer here and the snow and ice have started to melt. This has actually been an early spring for us, but we're not out of the woods just yet. Sometimes when it gets "warm" early in the season, we get a huge snow dump sometime in April or even in early May. We'll see...

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I forgot to reply here. Everyone is doing fine. Broly gained 16 grams back from eating two bowls of salad (yeah Idk why he’s acting so hungry.) Of course, gotta throw in bugs. Deal with ants...
I do have to get up early to get blood drawn. You know doctors must see your blood values. I keep pushing myself to get everything done. I shouldn’t be up right now but insomnia and hamster so....
We had a wind storm April 20, pretty much knocked out power for 18 hours...rarely get tornadoes but we actually got a tornado watch that day. So much was going on that day. No tornado was spotted. If there was one the weather guy said it’d be ef 0 or ef 1. None of those ef 2- ef 5.
Hoping Puff lives longer. I gotta sleep or else be very tired at the doctors....not pleasant when tired lol.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I forgot to reply here. Everyone is doing fine. Broly gained 16 grams back from eating two bowls of salad (yeah Idk why he’s acting so hungry.) Of course, gotta throw in bugs. Deal with ants...
I do have to get up early to get blood drawn. You know doctors must see your blood values. I keep pushing myself to get everything done. I shouldn’t be up right now but insomnia and hamster so....
We had a wind storm April 20, pretty much knocked out power for 18 hours...rarely get tornadoes but we actually got a tornado watch that day. So much was going on that day. No tornado was spotted. If there was one the weather guy said it’d be ef 0 or ef 1. None of those ef 2- ef 5.
Hoping Puff lives longer. I gotta sleep or else be very tired at the doctors....not pleasant when tired lol.
So this thing finally seems to be working and letting me know with an email when you post something...

We had a bad scare with Puff this last Saturday -- he had a big struggle to pass a hard urate and there was this red thing sticking out of his cloaca just before the urate came out. I thought he was going to have a prolapse but it went back in and there was no bleeding. Naturally this happened right after our regular vet had closed for the day, so we called pet emergency, but they didn't have any reptile vets until later in the evening (Murphy's Law). We didn't have to take him in after all, but I have a call out to his regular vet to check in and see if she needs to see him. I'm not sure if this has happened before and we just didn't see it since it happens underneath. I usually check after he poops to make sure everything came clean, but by that time he's all done. Freaked me out.

We made up some Repashy grub pie for Puff. it seems to be a good laxative. He still likes it.

I lost my favorite doctor because Medicare. I'm 65 now -- no choice. Can't find a new doctor who's not booked out for several months. I don't remember when my next blood work is due. I guess if I get sick I'll just have to go to the emergency room. One of my meds is also too expensive to get in the US so we're getting them from Canada, and they're trying to pass a new law that won't let us do that anymore. Medical stuff sucks, if you get enough sleep or not.

We had a rare tornado touch down in Hawthorne California when I was in 4th grade (loooong time ago). I still remember the teacher's commanding voice "Children! Get away from that window!" (we all wanted to see what was happening outside) and she made us duck and cover under our desks. Luckily no one was hurt, but we were sure scared. I also remember saying the Lord's Prayer in my mind as my grandmother had taught it to me.

Glad to hear your beardie and hamster and critters are doing well, and that the worst thing you had to deal with was a power outage and not a tornado.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I haven’t checked weight since then. He’s been passing bigger stools (no bigger than usual) so I can imagine being a bit lowered. My dad is out of town and my siblings don’t wanna get up at 7am to help mom at the store. I guess Im going haha. Better than where I usually go which is just doctor appointments. My birthday (May 25th) gonna be just sitting at home. I may go out and get coffee and dinner but nothing other than that.

Everyone is doing well. Eating, using the bathroom and getting time out in the sun. Im expecting more rain soon, until then the dragons can go outside.

I guess that’s all for now.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I haven’t checked weight since then. He’s been passing bigger stools (no bigger than usual) so I can imagine being a bit lowered. My dad is out of town and my siblings don’t wanna get up at 7am to help mom at the store. I guess Im going haha. Better than where I usually go which is just doctor appointments. My birthday (May 25th) gonna be just sitting at home. I may go out and get coffee and dinner but nothing other than that.

Everyone is doing well. Eating, using the bathroom and getting time out in the sun. Im expecting more rain soon, until then the dragons can go outside.

I guess that’s all for now.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So this thing did something weird -- it asked me to log in before I typed a message and then it looks like it duplicated your message, so whatever. Maybe I pushed the wrong button. At least it's doing a good job sending me emails when you post something. Anyway, if you saw a message from me that looks like I just sent back the same one you just sent, it's a mistake and not what I meant to do.

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you're going to have a quiet one like I usually do. At my age, I don't celebrate them anymore, especially this last one. I guess I'm an official "senior citizen" now. At least it gets me some discounts, but I don't remember how I got so old.

Glad to hear your beardies are getting some time in the sun. We gave up on taking Puff outside -- there are rarely any days warm enough for him, even in the summer, and he doesn't seem to like it. Too strange for him, and he turns all black. It's been in the 60s here lately. Winter is finally over. All the snow is melted and everything is finally turning green. Summer comes late around here, but we haven't had much rain lately and the fire danger is already high.

Repashy grub pie seems to be working for Puff -- pooping more often but seems to have forgotten how to do it in the water and making a mess in his tank more often than not. The other day we took him out and I held him while my husband cleaned up the tank but he wasn't done yet. Luckily I had a paper towel under him but a poop landed on the floor. Messy, messy, messy. He likes the grub pie so much that he isn't eating much of anything else lately, and maybe it's working a little too well, but I'd rather have that than the prolapse. At least it's nutritious, too. His weight seems to be stable nowadays.

As for me, it turns out that the place where I go for mental health now has a primary care physician on staff, and it's not too hard to get an appointment with him, at least not yet, so I saw him early this month and have another appointment with him this next week and they're going to do bloodwork -- I guess I'm due for it -- can't remember when was the last time. He didn't say a word about how fat I am, so this might work. My husband has this next week off, so he can drive me there. I quit driving around 10 years ago. I never was much good at it and it was just getting worse. My husband said that if he had to drive me to the DMV to get my license renewed, then maybe I shouldn't be on the road. So I stay home with Puff most of the time.

Happy memorial day too...

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Yeah duplicates happen.

It’s humid and rainy. It will dry up some day. I’m training a new service dog as my old boy had passed away 3 weeks before getting our new pup. It’s a german shepherd, very active and needs to always be played with, training and overall a job to do. My husband thinks it will be a good idea to have an active dog to get me off the couch and work on my weight by taking the dog out every day. I don’t mind doing a lot for this pup as it will make him happy and healthy. I’ve done research and it requires a lot of time and patience so he doesn’t get destructive. I read german shepherds are good at being service dog being trained right.

Not good weather for the reptiles to go outside unfortunately. We’re all inside for the time being. It’s unusual for it to still be raining and windstorms.
It should stop eventually and everyone can go outside again.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom