Brightness Coil vs Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinz

I switched to a reptisun 10.0 just like I was told ( used a 10.0 coil before) and the brightness difference is huge. Is it normal that my reptisun isn't as bright? Will this effect my beardie in anyway?

Also just a quick question... How much does your beardie poop?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moved here from General Discussion forum since about an enclosure item.

MAK

Hatchling Member
the coil's are much more powerful than the tubes ( which is why they are bad, they put out massive unearthly amounts of uv) so they are brighter. A beardie that eats alot should poop almost everyday.

Twinz

Original Poster
My baby poops everyday but he never eats very much like 3-4 small-medium mealworms a day ( usually cut them up, they are the canned flukers stuff) and a little bit of greens but today was his first greenish poop!

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
Twinz":2uvyj80a said:
My baby poops everyday but he never eats very much like 3-4 small-medium mealworms a day ( usually cut them up, they are the canned flukers stuff) and a little bit of greens but today was his first greenish poop!

Meal worms are very bad for a baby dragon, they contain far too much chitin and can cause an impaction. Even when feeding meal worms to an adult you shouldn't give more than a couple every now and then, they also have very little nutritional value.

The brightness change in your UVB lighting wont hurt anything. Just to be sure, you are using a basking light as well right? If you would like your enclosure to be a little brighter you can always add a full spectrum fluorescent light.

Rud3Bwoy

Sub-Adult Member
that's normal

trust me it's better if a coil bulb can hurt my eyes imagine what it does to your berdie

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
MAK":2rdt8so1 said:
the coil's are much more powerful than the tubes ( which is why they are bad, they put out massive unearthly amounts of uv) so they are brighter. A beardie that eats alot should poop almost everyday.

I am lost on this, not to contradict your comment just where are you finding this information. Everything I find states that the coil is bad because they lack sufficient wave lengths, otherwise to weak. :?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Beardednoob":ouryh89z said:
MAK":ouryh89z said:

I am lost on this, not to contradict your comment just where are you finding this information. Everything I find states that the coil is bad because they lack sufficient wave lengths, otherwise to weak. :?

The http://www.uvguide.co.uk/compactlamps.htm site is closed in this section but, this site is up and in comparison it lacks in output.
http://www.russiantortoise.org/uvb.htm

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah, I don't think there problem is that they are too strong.

Either way there is no need to get all technical about it. The tubes work the coil doesn't.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
claudiusx":a1jwbuum said:

Either way there is no need to get all technical about it. The tubes work the coil doesn't.
Way to dumb it down in here... JK

Agreed :wink:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Beardednoob":3ql1tx6h said:
claudiusx":3ql1tx6h said:

Way to dumb it down in here... JK

Agreed :wink:

It's the motto another forum I go on uses. 'Don't be OCD, just do what works and don't worry about it'. Lol. Of course, I like knowing why which is why I said TY for the link
smiley-face-laugh.gif

-Brandon

MAK

Hatchling Member
Beardednoob":1hbymkte said:

I got my info from here--->http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm#UVI

Here is a description of the zoomed reptisun 10. cfl--> (Once again, even well burned-in lamps produce unearthly levels of UV radiation further than six inches from the side of the lamp. The new lamp with the highest output would need to be placed 16 inches above a reptile for the UVI to be below 6. Interestingly, the manufacturer's minimum recommended distance for a new Reptisun 10.0 lamp (positioned horizontally, like this, above the reptile with no mesh or reflector) is 23 - 25 inches, according to their new information sheet. This, according to our recordings (not shown on the chart) would yield a UVI of about 2.3.)

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
MAK":2zbxgnvr said:
Beardednoob":2zbxgnvr said:

I got my info from here--->http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm#UVI

Here is a description of the zoomed reptisun 10. cfl--> (Once again, even well burned-in lamps produce unearthly levels of UV radiation further than six inches from the side of the lamp. The new lamp with the highest output would need to be placed 16 inches above a reptile for the UVI to be below 6. Interestingly, the manufacturer's minimum recommended distance for a new Reptisun 10.0 lamp (positioned horizontally, like this, above the reptile with no mesh or reflector) is 23 - 25 inches, according to their new information sheet. This, according to our recordings (not shown on the chart) would yield a UVI of about 2.3.)

Hmm interesting.. This too
"Some of these lamps do emit traces of UVC, which correspond to the high-wavelength UVC (from 275nm - 280nm) seen on the spectrograms. However, this UVC output is low and at more than a few inches from the lamp, seems unlikely to be very significant."

The lamps they are referring to are compact florescent lights.

But, very odd to have very different information from russiantortise :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom