Bright white basking bulb or is Fluker’s 150W intense bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
So, I currently have my 3.5 month old Beardie in a 36” x 18” x 18” enclosure. Their 4’ x 2’ x 2’ habitat is on back order. I have a Fluker’s Intense Basking Bulb 150W and a 24” Reptisun T5 10.0 UVB bulb. I was reading something earlier that their basking bulb should really be of the bright white (6500k) color. Does the UVB bulb not provide enough bright white light? Do I need to get them a better basking bulb that is bright white? If so, which one?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I am not a pro, but I believe the two things are separate. There are requirements for basking, and then requirements for UVB. It's like the color of the two bulbs don't necessarily do the same thing, even if the color itself is the same.

That being said, I am still learning as well, so definitely wait for someone with more experience to comment, in addition to me, before you make any purchase/husbandry decisions.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hdochow":3ih4etw7 said:
I am not a pro, but I believe the two things are separate. There are requirements for basking, and then requirements for UVB. It's like the color of the two bulbs don't necessarily do the same thing, even if the color itself is the same.

That being said, I am still learning as well, so definitely wait for someone with more experience to comment, in addition to me, before you make any purchase/husbandry decisions.

I guess I should have been a little more clear. Yea I am aware they are separate. When it comes to the basking bulb, the one I currently have gives off a warm white (2700-3000k) on the kelvin light scale. The thing I was reading mentioned the basking bulb should be of the daylight color something up to 6500k on the scale. The reason for this is that bearded dragons need/respond better to bright/daylight bulbs. Since UVB tube lighting gives off a white light, I wasn’t sure if that was enough of the daylight color, or if I should purchase a new basking bulb that gives off additional daylight like below.

https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-sun-glo-halogen-daylight/dp/124032

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Oh yes, that is more than out of my education range. Thank you for clarifying. I am going to continue to follow your post because I want to know now, too.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hdochow":2nnkfr4u said:
Oh yes, that is more than out of my education range. Thank you for clarifying. I am going to continue to follow your post because I want to know now, too.

I’ve learned no matter how much I researched before getting my Beardie, there is always more to know. Lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You want to mimic the sun --- bright white bulb no off color white or yellowish --- Exo Terra Intense basking bulb is bright white as an example

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":28vjwwif said:
You want to mimic the sun --- bright white bulb no off color white or yellowish --- Exo Terra Intense basking bulb is bright white as an example

Yea that’s what I am picking up tomorrow morning. I leaned that the Fluker’s basking bulb my local reptile store recommended doesn’t actually have UVA light. So now I feel horirble my Beardie has had no UVA light in a week, except for the 30 minutes I took him outside.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Any bulb that produces visible light is also producing UVA. Some bulbs produce more UVA than others.
But remember, even though your UVB bulb is mainly a UVB producing bulb, it too also produces UVA. Your dragon was never without UVA.

Now, onto your original question. Your original train of thought was correct. The UVB bulb is already pretty high on the Kelvin scale. What linear UVB bulbs lack is the warmer color of the spectra. And if your goal is to emulate the sun, then you need to make up for that lack of warmer spectra. A 3-3.2k bulb is perfect for that.

In the past we really recommended only a bright white basking bulb, but truth be told, if you pay attention to the spectra analysis of UVB bulbs and soft white bulbs, they actually compliment eachother very well and provide a spectra more close to sunlight than a bright white + linear UVB.

-Brandon

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":151nlajm said:
Any bulb that produces visible light is also producing UVA. Some bulbs produce more UVA than others.
But remember, even though your UVB bulb is mainly a UVB producing bulb, it too also produces UVA. Your dragon was never without UVA.

Now, onto your original question. Your original train of thought was correct. The UVB bulb is already pretty high on the Kelvin scale. What linear UVB bulbs lack is the warmer color of the spectra. And if your goal is to emulate the sun, then you need to make up for that lack of warmer spectra. A 3-3.2k bulb is perfect for that.

In the past we really recommended only a bright white basking bulb, but truth be told, if you pay attention to the spectra analysis of UVB bulbs and soft white bulbs, they actually compliment eachother very well and provide a spectra more close to sunlight than a bright white + linear UVB.

-Brandon

I had assumed all lights offered at least UVA, until I came across this for the bulb I was using.

“ We were first attracted to the price tag of the Fluker’s 22603 Basking Spotlight Bulb. It’s got the lowest price of any bulb we tested, which will likely make it a top contender for many people. It does provide light and heat, but that’s about the end of this bulb’s features.

Dragons need UVA and UVB, so most basking bulbs try to offer at least one. This bulb provides neither, so your dragons will be missing some very important nutrients”

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
  • TLDR Your UV bulb produces the proper amount of UVB AND UVA your dragon needs.
    Just worry about finding a basking bulb that produces the temperatures you need. All incandescents produce some amount of UVA, including the flukers bulb if it's an incandescent.

Sure, just be careful of your source of information. I'd be hesitant taking lighting advice from someone who refers to a wavelength as a nutrient, if that's what they meant.
Your UVB bulb produces far more UVA than a basking bulb that states it produces UVA anyways.

The flukers bulb is an incandescent correct? All incandescent bulbs produce UVA. Once again, not in any large amounts, but that is the purpose of your UVB bulb. The common terminology for "UVB bulb" really should be changed to "UV bulb" as its sole function isn't just producing UVB, but UVA also.

Your basking bulbs only real function is to provide proper temperatures. That is why for decades we have recommend people to use regular household bulbs for their basking bulbs as they are cheaper, and they only really need to produce your proper temperatures.

Just to reiterate for anyone else who might come across this thread:
UV bulb produces the needed UVB and UVA levels.
Basking bulb produces the needed heat.

-Brandon

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":250y430q said:
  • TLDR Your UV bulb produces the proper amount of UVB AND UVA your dragon needs.
    Just worry about finding a basking bulb that produces the temperatures you need. All incandescents produce some amount of UVA, including the flukers bulb if it's an incandescent.

Sure, just be careful of your source of information. I'd be hesitant taking lighting advice from someone who refers to a wavelength as a nutrient, if that's what they meant.
Your UVB bulb produces far more UVA than a basking bulb that states it produces UVA anyways.

The flukers bulb is an incandescent correct? All incandescent bulbs produce UVA. Once again, not in any large amounts, but that is the purpose of your UVB bulb. The common terminology for "UVB bulb" really should be changed to "UV bulb" as its sole function isn't just producing UVB, but UVA also.

Your basking bulbs only real function is to provide proper temperatures. That is why for decades we have recommend people to use regular household bulbs for their basking bulbs as they are cheaper, and they only really need to produce your proper temperatures.

Just to reiterate for anyone else who might come across this thread:
UV bulb produces the needed UVB and UVA levels.
Basking bulb produces the needed heat.

-Brandon

Haha. That nutrient part had me tilting my head when I first read it lol.

Thanks for the reply Brandon. Sometimes my anxiety and OCD get the best of me and it’s a rabbit hole. Appreciate the detailed information.

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member

-Brandon
@Claudiusx One thing I have noticed is that when I dim my basking bulb when it is too hot, it is kind of a yellow color. When it is on all the way it seems whiter. It is an Arcadia basking bulb. Do you think its okay that it is yellow when dimmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom