Breeding

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
We're planning on breeding toothless and Nova when they're able and we're thinking of getting another lizard but it seems to be a leatherback.? It's a hatchling and has tiny spikes on its sides and base of the tail but it's back is super smooth. (I don't know if hatchlings don't have back spikes at first) so, let's say it is leatherback and we get it and breed it when it grows up -- can/should it be bred with a "standard" or non-leatherback.? Chris says everything he's read says don't breed leatherbacks and non-leatherbacks because it causes a ton of heath issues.

Can anyone give me a rundown of what breeds are okay to breed together and stuff.?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Leatherback x normal does not cause any health issues.

leatherback x leatherback can due to the possibility of creating "silkies".

-Brandon

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Leatherback x normal does not cause any health issues.

leatherback x leatherback can due to the possibility of creating "silkies".

-Brandon
Yeah, I remember hearing silkies aren't good. And I take it those are lizards with no spikes whatsoever.? So, generally you want to stay away from the same breeds.? Does it have to be the same exact or can we breed similars.? If that makes sense. Toothless and Nova are both het hypo tigers (according to Nova's breeder, she says toothless is a het hypo) and Nova is a red/orange tiger with blue bars and Toothless is a (we're fairly certain) tiger also with blue bars but his colors are more standard - tan with some orange and greenish. Would they pose breeding issues, if they are both a het hypo tiger w/ blue bars.?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
As a rule of thumb, you don't breed two beardies with tha same visual traits I.E. two leatherbacks, or two visual translucents.
Visual to none visual (het) is ok.
None visual (het) to none visual (het) is ok.
Silkies have EXTREMELY fragile skin and tremendous shedding issues, in my opinion it's cruel and unethical to produce them.
Some traits like leatherback and Dunner are dominant (like brown eyes in humans) so it only takes one parent to produce them.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
As a rule of thumb, you don't breed two beardies with tha same visual traits I.E. two leatherbacks, or two visual translucents.
Visual to none visual (het) is ok.
None visual (het) to none visual (het) is ok.
Silkies have EXTREMELY fragile skin and tremendous shedding issues, in my opinion it's cruel and unethical to produce them.
Some traits like leatherback and Dunner are dominant (like brown eyes in humans) so it only takes one parent to produce them.
Oh okay, that makes sense. Chris was worried because he thought you weren't supposed to breed a "normal" with a leatherback and we're pretty sure the little one we saw was a leatherback. Man he was so cute. So so tiny, like a little finger monkey with the coolest red and black coloring

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Leatherbacks are beautiful, if they happen to be hypo or trans their colors are extremely bright also. They are also easier to pet on.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Leatherbacks are beautiful, if they happen to be hypo or trans their colors are extremely bright also. They are also easier to pet on.
Will their colors stay super bright as they get older.? The leatherback we looked at was sooooo cool with interwoven super orange and red and black on his back and head, but he was real little. Maybe a month old.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
With beardies what you see is not always what you get. A baby with super color can be drab as an adult or vice versa a baby that is kindda plain looking can be really colorful as an adult. The best indicator is what the parents look like (that's one of the advantages of buying from breeder, you can see the parents). Also the pattern that babies have on their back can change alot also as the mature.
Leatherbacks will typically stay brighter as they age than normals, but theres no guarantee.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
With beardies what you see is not always what you get. A baby with super color can be drab as an adult or vice versa a baby that is kindda plain looking can be really colorful as an adult. The best indicator is what the parents look like (that's one of the advantages of buying from breeder, you can see the parents). Also the pattern that babies have on their back can change alot also as the mature.
Leatherbacks will typically stay brighter as they age than normals, but theres no guarantee.
Yeah, I figured that much. Toothless was pretty cool looking as a baby and is way different and not as vibrant now but with every shed, he gets a little more orange. And the spots on his back look like rings of oil spilled in a driveway but are also orange. 😅

You can see how vibrant he was and how different he is now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230319_113358_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230319_113358_Photos.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20230319_113421_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230319_113421_Photos.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 58

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Personally i like watching them grow and change into a completely different looking scheme. Zen was black, grey, and white as a baby, now he is tan and orange and his pattern broke up so much it looks more like freckles lol. He was trying to impress Snickers in that pic lol.

Attachments

• 20230311_102049.jpg
    20230311_102049.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 62

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Personally i like watching them grow and change into a completely different looking scheme. Zen was black, grey, and white as a baby, now he is tan and orange and his pattern broke up so much it looks more like freckles lol. He was trying to impress Snickers in that pic lol.
He's a big Boi with a big Boi neck 😂😂

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Over 1000 grams, im always concerned he is obese but the vet keeps telling me he isn't.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Over 1000 grams, im always concerned he is obese but the vet keeps telling me he isn't.
Jesus he be a Hella big boii. How long is he.?

It looks like his eyes are really big. Is that a genetic thing.? I've seen photos in Facebook groups if beardies who's eyeballs are...large but seem otherwise fine.? It's weird looking 😅😅

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
He is around 23 inches, he has always had big eyes, i suspect his vision has always given him problems to. When he was a hatchling he struggled to catch his food, he missed 4 outta 5 trys. I've pretty much hand fed him his whole life. Funny thing is though he don't have a lick of trouble seeing the girls 🤪🤔

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom