Breeding Insects for Food

Pete3

Beardie name(s)
Pete
I'm looking into breeding Dubia Roaches and Superworms for Pete. He really likes them and it would be a lot cheaper in the long run. I started doing research but was wondering if anyone here as bred them. Any advice?

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
I'm looking into breeding Dubia Roaches and Superworms for Pete. He really likes them and it would be a lot cheaper in the long run. I started doing research but was wondering if anyone here as bred them. Any advice?
I breed wood roaches for my bearded dragon and some advice I have is to make sure that no other insect/bug/spiders get into the container that you are housing your beardie’s live feed because then the live food will have the insects germs. Here is two websites that hopefully will help you take care of them Dubia Roach Care: How to Successfully Keep Roaches for Your Bearded Dragon, Superworm Care Sheet

Attachments

• 99D35C21-043A-4B46-9923-221D6C8E5AA8.jpeg
    99D35C21-043A-4B46-9923-221D6C8E5AA8.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 78

Pete3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pete

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Thank you!!
Also this is how you make roach chow.
In a blender, combine equal amounts of:
- Guinea pig pellets
- Chicken feed
- Raw rolled oats
- White corn meal
- Fish food
- Oat bran
- Honey Cheerios
Store in a plastic container. To serve, scoop onto a clean jar lid.

Pete3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pete
Also this is how you make roach chow.
In a blender, combine equal amounts of:
- Guinea pig pellets
- Chicken feed
- Raw rolled oats
- White corn meal
- Fish food
- Oat bran
- Honey Cheerios
Store in a plastic container. To serve, scoop onto a clean jar lid.
Thank you so much this is really helpful

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
we don't actively breed our roaches because we don't need that many. as an adult, sir henry really only eats 3-5 roaches a couple times a week. for storage we have them in a 30 gallon tote with egg crates. they get water crystals for hydration and then at the end of the day whatever salad sir henry hasn't eaten gets given to them. the only time they get roach chow is on the days there is no salad left and then it is just general roach chow you can buy online. we don't use heat mats or anything for them. their container gets cleaned once a week and gets fresh egg crates on cleaning day. we have never had an issue with smell by following this routine.

here's a link to the roach starter kit we got. starter kit

Pete3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pete
we don't actively breed our roaches because we don't need that many. as an adult, sir henry really only eats 3-5 roaches a couple times a week. for storage we have them in a 30 gallon tote with egg crates. they get water crystals for hydration and then at the end of the day whatever salad sir henry hasn't eaten gets given to them. the only time they get roach chow is on the days there is no salad left and then it is just general roach chow you can buy online. we don't use heat mats or anything for them. their container gets cleaned once a week and gets fresh egg crates on cleaning day. we have never had an issue with smell by following this routine.

here's a link to the roach starter kit we got. starter kit
Thank you!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Done both.

Dubias are very easy to breed. Very hands off when compared to superworms.
Mealworms would be easier to breed than superworms.

-Brandon

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
I don't actively breed them either but where I am the climate is just right for Dubia roaches :ROFLMAO: their second generation's getting big now. If you live in a hot humid place like I do, ventilation is probably the most important thing. Otherwise condensation and mold and disgusting stuff happen inside the roach bin :( If you're at a colder place then just make sure they're always warm!

Pete3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pete
I don't actively breed them either but where I am the climate is just right for Dubia roaches :ROFLMAO: their second generation's getting big now. If you live in a hot humid place like I do, ventilation is probably the most important thing. Otherwise condensation and mold and disgusting stuff happen inside the roach bin :( If you're at a colder place then just make sure they're always warm!
Thank you!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom