Brand new BD. Possible ill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyprian0810

Original Poster
Another update:

Zugg is definitely looking underweight. When I watch him, he closes both eyes about once a minute for 15-20 seconds, same when I pick him up. He'll bask on his rock for long periods of time, then he'll randomly climb to the other side of the aquarium in the cool temps and fall asleep. I'm starting to get very nervous.

Going through the checklist again -

-Bought him 2 weeks ago
-Gave him 3-5 calcium-soaked, and well-fed baby crickets each day
-Insufficient lighting for the first 3 days (Zilla coil + black bulbs)
-Sufficient lighting ever since (Reptisun 10.0 + ZooMed 75W UVA heat bulb) 7am-11pm
-Overnight heating on one side, other side off (ZooMed Nocturnal Red heat bulb, no UV)
-Baths almost every day, plus 2 mistings every day
-Vegetables (Carrots + romaine at first, then carrots + collard/turnip/mustard greens) replaced daily
-Water replaced daily
-20 Gal Aquarium
-Aquarium turf/carpet floor lining
-NO clumps of shed skin found in the aquarium, yet I've seen him scratching his face and body against objects

I spoon-fed him some canned mustard greens yesterday, which he licked for a long time, but never chewed/swallowed any. He then pooped later that evening, first time in 48 hours.

Two weeks and I'm extremely attached to the little guy, but I truly have no idea what I'm doing wrong, if anything. He's a petco baby, and as such, is it possible that he was brought up incorrectly by the breeders/staff? Being as young as he is, do they bounce back from this very often? Herp vet is my last resort, which isn't too far from my house.

If anyone has any idea what's wrong with Zugg at this point, I'd be greatful for some help. The rest of what he's been through is posted above, and I've only been improving his living conditions/diet/lightning, etc. Thank you, and Zugg thanks you too.

Alex

cyprian0810

Original Poster
Vet appointment tonight at 7. Wish us luck...he had 100% liquid feces yesterday, but then again he's drinking water (slightly) and not eating real substance, so that would be my guess as to why. No energy to climb/walk/run whatsoever.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, a vet that's open that late? Ours are all closed by 5pm. I just re-read your info. You might want to turn off all lights at night. Any kind of light can mess up their sleep. Also, if your lights go on at 7A.M., you should turn them off more around 8 or 9 P.M. He would get better sleep. Which in turn will improve his appitite, etc.
Also, what are you temps now. And how do you take them? It may be a bit difficult for you to get the temps adjusted in a 20 gal. Just keep trying. Temp. control can drive you nuts. Be patient, you'll get it. :D
Good luck at the vet. I hope it is nothing serious.

Sandy H

cyprian0810

Original Poster
its definitely a task keeping all the temps regulated, and it's not quite 100% perfect. The reason I keep the nocturnal light on is because that room gets a little chilly at night, although I haven't measured the aquarium temp in the middle of the night.

I will adjust my light timers to go on at 8am, and off at 9pm so that he gets a more average day cycle.

This vet is fantastic as far as hours go. Open 7am-9pm mon-fri, 7am-5pm saturdays. I will update tonight/tomorrow and inform you all about what went down. Thanks for your concerns :)

Zugg needs all the spiritual assistance he can get!

lukenukem83

Zugg is in my thoughts! I hope his appetite picks up soon! We are still trying to get our babies' appetites to grow, but they are making progress and the vet said they appear to be in good health/mood.

Make sure you keep us updated!!

cyprian0810

Original Poster
Zugg was so dehydrated and malnourished that the vet wanted to keep him overnight. She's providing him with injected nutrients and hydrating fluids similar to an IV in hopes to rejuvinate him. I will be getting a call later this morning and will post another update.

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
there are some good slurries you can make that you can feed your BD to address a number of ailments.

If your vet doesnt give you such guidance that is specific to his/her diagnosis, let us know and we can provide some good nutritious remedies.

I use:
1 can of ensure
1 banana
1 multi vit
1 chick baby food

blended together and 2.5 ml but if yours is really small, probably 1.5mL.
But that is a general slurry, and may be too heavy for a young BD who isnt taking solids.

Keep US POSTED

cyprian0810

Original Poster
Thank you all for the support.

Zugg was in the hospital for 5 days, and he passed away last night in his sleep. I was very attached to him, and subsequently, this is very difficult for me. The vet said he had an infection of some sort that was probably thriving in his body when I bought him.

I've written Petco off entirely, for taking such poor care of their animals.

The saddest aspect of this, is the I went to see Zugg in the hospital on Saturday and he was very coherent and lively. He was putting on weight and looked strong. The vet was giving him an antibiotic by injection and we needed his immune system to help out a little bit, and it just wouldn't.

Once again we appreciate everyone that tried to help.

Alex

lukenukem83

I'm sorry about Zugg. I know you tried your best, and we all appreciate your loving care for the beardie. It's too bad that pet stores are so unfriendly towards our scaled friends.

I wish you all the best and hope to continue seeing you on here in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom