Brand new BD. Possible ill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.
I just got my first BD this past week and he's so awesome! Name is Zugg. However, he's started to act slightly lethargic the past 2 days, and this morning I woke up him early as I was leaving for work. In doing so, I put 2 baby crickets in his aquarium and he didn't budge. One of the crickets even hopped onto his back and crawled onto his head and he didn't move. When I picked him up, he squirmed a bit and opened eyes, which don't appear to have mucus or swelling, or any sickly visual traits. I'm using the lights that came with the Petco Bearded Dragon Kit by Zilla, and am starting to think they are poorly made. His little underside is very cool all of the time, and I know that's not good. Out to purchase a ZooMed 10.0 today after work, to use along with a ZooMed heat lamp.

Any comments/ideas/help anyone might have on this topic would be awesome. Thanks so much.

wizbee

Juvie Member
Please check the care sheets. Try to get a reptisun 10 instead of the zoomed. Improper uvb and temperatures can cause lethargy. MEsure the temps with a digital thermometer not a stick on. No sand for babies. Ask any questions ....

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member

spike911

I just read no sand for baby's? The pet store told me I had to use sand. Holly crap I'm freaking out here because mine is so sick.

cyprian0810

Original Poster
To answer your question - 2 of the 3 Zilla lights that came with my Aquarium were burnt out (tells you how good they test and pack their products). The third working bulb was the Zilla coiled UVB bulb, and every time i turned it on Zugg would close his eyes and start acting really lethargic.

Today I bought a Zoo Med Raptisun 10, and a nice new fixture for it. When I got home from the store he was barely moving, and wouldn't eat let alone climb around on my arm. As soon as I hooked up the Raptisun and turned it on, within a minute both of his eyes were open and he was cocking his head back and forth looking around. He looks 1000% healthier already! He's still wincing a little bit with one eye, but the other is wide open.

As far as heating goes, I'm using a 75W Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp. I'm going to leave the Raptisun on nearly all day, but what's the recommended heat lamp duration? Thanks guys.

weluvSami

I generally turn my lights on an hour before I leave the house in the morning. Feed Sami before I leave. Then turn them off about 2 hours after his dinner. So I have the lights on 12-14 hours a day and off for the other 10-12 hours. Hope this helps.

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...Good that your baby is doing better.
Do you have a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe on the end of a wire? If not, you need to get one ASAP. If the temps aren't right, they won't flourish. Walmart has the digital with probe. It is the AccuRite & is $12. It is in the back right of our store, by the ladders.
Good that you got the right UVB...long fluorescent tube, right? He needs to be 6"-8" from the UVB. Also, put the UVB & the heat light right beside each other on one end of the tank so he gets benefit from both at the same time.
Keep us updated please
Good luck
Patsy

cyprian0810

Original Poster
You recommend both the heating lamp and the UVB for 10-12 straight hours during the day? Do you ever get concerned about a fire by any chance? Not from anything touching the lamps, but just because they're on and no ones around to monitor them. Thanks :)

zugglight.blogspot.com

Zugg pictures and updates!

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
In the 10 years I have been keeping many lizards & tortoises, I have never had a fire. If you have mice or dogs that would chew cords, then you need to deal with that.
I have timers on my lights so they automaticly turn on at 8 am & off at 10 pm. I get the $5 timers from Walmart. If you have to leave the house in the morning, you will want the lights to come on at least an hour before you plan to feed and then feed at night a couple hours before the lights go out.
Good luck
Patsy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great that you got the Reptisun 10 tube bulb. That is awesome he really is doing so much better in such a short amount of time.
Make sure your basking light is directly beside the UVB tube light.
How is his appetite doing now? Keep us posted on him. I am glad you got things changed around for him. :D

Tracie

cyprian0810

Original Poster
Update:

Zugg is looking healthier every time I check on him. Yesterday when I fed him he wasted no time, and mowed down those crickets in seconds! He's also eating his carrots, and nibbling at his romaine lettuce...I think he's even drinking on his own too, judging by the remnants left floating in the water, and the water levels.

In the evening I noticed he's pretty still, even if I take him out of his aquarium. Do beardies get tired and sleep at night if they're given a light schedule similar to humans?

That Reptisun is an amazing bulb. I won't use anything else!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great that Zugg is doing so much better with his Reptisun 10 tube bulb. They are very good bulbs.
Remember the best greens to use is the collard or mustard greens. If you want to use romaine lettuce mix it in with the darker greens so he will get more nutrients from the dark greens.
They most definitely get sleepy when they are put on a lighting schedule, they get very tired. So they should be given a consistent schedule.

Tracie

cyprian0810

Original Poster
Hey guys.

Well about a week has gone by, and he was doing so well. Now, however, he's become a little lazy again. Not as much as before. He's also not eating. He hasn't eaten in two days, crickets or vegetables. I did notice him scraping his face along the side of his basking plant trying to scratch off a skin tag which I can only assume is him shedding.

He still squirms in my hands and will climb my arm, but I'm a little concerned that he won't eat. I've read all about mashing crickets and calcium and force-feeding through an eye dropper. He doesn't seem to budge when I try force-feeding. Temps are fine, bulbs are fine, anything I should be worried about? How long does the initial shedding period last? Thanks

Alex

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Alex,

Has he finished shedding yet? It will affect them a little bit. The shedding can last for up to a week or two, if they shed in separate areas of their body.
Is he eating anything right now? Can you post a picture of him right now?
You can make a cricket slurry with greens, & calcium, if you would like. Does he appear to be losing weight at all? Is he staying hydrated?

Tracie

cyprian0810

Original Poster
Last night I ground up 10 crickets, a few ounces of water, and calcium. When I put the spoon in front of him he licked it and appeared to be taking mostly the water. I was able to give him several teaspoons of this, but he neglected to take any food with substance. He won't eat anything that he has to chew, and he certainly won't eat a live cricket even if it's offered to him by hand.

He does look a little thinner as if he's lost weight. I haven't found any feces in two days, as that's how long it's been since he's actually eaten.

As far as the shedding goes - I haven't found clumps of shed skin anywhere, but his tail is very grey, and of course he scraped off some skin from his head. This is day three that he's been uninterested in live food. I wouldn't necessarily use the term 'lethargic' but he seems to be dozing off more than usual, both when I pick him up and in his aquarium on his own.

Is this typical behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom