Brand New Baby Beardie Struggling :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaraLeigh

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bender
I got a baby bearded dragon from the pet store a little over a week ago (Bender). He was okay first couple day, was active and exploring all parts of tanks, drank water, ate a few small crickets and some greens. After a couple days, Bender started breathing like they were gasping for air, and sort of looks like trying to throw up but nothing comes out. He stopped eating, got a lot more lazy not really moving. Then 4 days ago he stopped opening his eyes and still has them shut! Yesterday, when I picked them up they would open eyes for a few seconds and started moving around more. This makes me think they might be getting better, but overall a lot of sleeping.

My original thought after doing some research was that they might have a upper respiratory infection (possibly bath was too deep and water got in his vents?). I also turned off the UVB light for the last couple days and thinking of getting a long hood UVB light instead of the coil in dome (have been hearing they are a lot better).

Any suggestions to what may be going wrong and what I can do to help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

*- Vet appointments not available for 2 weeks near me!

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
you definitely want to replace that coil uvb with a long tube. proper uvb is pretty much the most important part of their care and that coil just doesn't provide enough, not to mention it can cause eye problems too.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Another important thing is the temps. How are you taking them? If you're using the analog stick ons that come in most kits it will not be giving you the correct temps you need to know. The most important one is the basking temp. Ir guns can be used but are not always correct either so most recommend using a digital thermometer with probe. Leave the probe right where your dragon basks for at least 10 minutes. Since he's a baby it needs to be around 105. If you think he may have a respiratory infection the correct temps are even more important.

I would stop giving baths. He doesn't need them away unless he is covered in poo but he is so young and new to you he needs time to get used to you before adding new potentially stressful situations.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get what was mentioned above --- you need this right away -- do you have him in a 20 gallon tank? If so get a 24" Zoo Med Reptisun fixture - the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture can be used for now - it will need to be unobstructed no screen please placed directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches - when you upgrade the tank the 10.0 T 5 bulb will go into the fixture --
Please post back on here when you get the fixture -- please post a pic of the dragon
2 of these Zoo Med Digital Thermometer
You can look at the pet store for the UVB I posted most do not carry the T 5 's or the 24" fixtures but have the 18 and 20" you want the 24 its going to save you money later -- the website I posted is good and fast -- I will help you get it set up for your tank -- please post when you get it -- if the weather is warm where you live 65+ degrees take him out in a plastic tote NO glass please place him in direct sunlight for 15 min or longer DO not leave him supervise him -you do not want to burn him up-- this is going to give him the UVB he needs --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he doesn't have a respiratory infection at his age. Did you feed him too large of insects, or
was he on sand or some other loose type of substrate at the pet store?
Do you have pictures of him, along with the tank setup?
What type of thermometer do you use to measure the temperatures?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom