Bowel movements - when / how frequently should it poop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a baby beardie (a little over 4 months) on Saturday and put him up in his new environments. He seems healthy, active, alert, not aggressive... . Loves eating greens (collard/mustard/turnip) for breakfast and then dusted crickets and some mealworms later in the day.

All seems good so far but... I have not seen a poop yet (after 3 days), and not sure if that is a cause for concern. (Especially when I read/learn about impaction)

A few notes:
Currently on reptile carpet (going to switch to tile or linoleum soon, though), but was raised on repti-sand in the enclosure at Petco
Diet is about 20% greens, 60% crickets (about 5 calcium dusted daily), 20% mealworms (after I read that those can be hard to digest, so cut back to 1 or 2 per day)
He seemed kind of skinny (in torso area) when purchased, but seems a lot wider (more typical) appearance now (torso also seems close to shedding, not sure if that affects anything)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They should poop everyday-- you can try giving him a good warm soak and that usually stimulates them to go potty! :)

Karrie

karmakollector

Original Poster
I tried it... no luck. Hopefully there will be a gift waiting for me in the morning :lol:

Might try giving some applesauce, apparently that can help?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Hatchlings and juveniles have a much higher metabolic rate ,so your juvenile (4 months old) should be going to toilet daily or at least every other day if it's getting enough live insects each day (at least twice per day) and the temperatures are right.

Sorry but , not enough live insects - should be nearly entirely live insects see this
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=244111&p=1859195#p1859195
for best types .
At 4 months old , the juvenile needs the insect proteins and fats to grow and develop so I'd be leaving the salad til later in the day and giving at least meal of live insects per day.

karmakollector

Original Poster
We have a turd! (and he even politely left it in his easy-to-clean food bowl for me)
101399-989910663.jpg

Are they normally this dry and compact? (though it's hard to say if it dried up due to heat from the heat lamp, since I wasn't able to check the enclosure after 4:30 yesterday.) Not sure if I need to be concerned about dehydration/constipation.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
karmakollector":14totlgt said:
We have a turd! (and he even politely left it in his easy-to-clean food bowl for me)
101399-989910663.jpg

Are they normally this dry and compact? (though it's hard to say if it dried up due to heat from the heat lamp, since I wasn't able to check the enclosure after 4:30 yesterday.) Not sure if I need to be concerned about dehydration/constipation.

If it came out as dry looking, he needs more hydration (ie more moist live insects in his diet).

karmakollector

Original Poster
Okay... trying to feed him as many as he will take, but he seems to lose interest after 3 or 4 at a time (twice per day), and don't want him stressed with extras wandering the enclosure at night...

RarestDragon

Hatchling Member
I would suggest offering your dragon some juicy fruit, like a piece of apple with no skin, a few blueberries or perhaps a bite of nectarine with no skin. Nectarine is fairly acidic, though, so don't feed your dragon nectarine too often. My dragon LOVES nectarine. It's her favorite food. But she only gets one or two bites a week at most.

Hold a piece close to his mouth and allow him to do one of those testing licks and see if he likes it. That's how I introduced apples and nectarines to my girl. Held it close to her mouth, she took a lick and after realizing how tasty it was, she snapped it up.

A piece of fruit every few days will help keep him hydrated. Just be sure that you check which fruits are okay for a beardie to eat.

karmakollector

Original Poster
Thanks... when I was concerned about the lack of BM, I considered getting some baby food (pureed apple or squash) to give a try.

I will probably start introducing some yellow squash, at the very least, but probably also some blueberries (however, since it is still young I know the main thing is high-protein insects.)

RarestDragon":h3r26og0 said:
I would suggest offering your dragon some juicy fruit, like a piece of apple with no skin, a few blueberries or perhaps a bite of nectarine with no skin. Nectarine is fairly acidic, though, so don't feed your dragon nectarine too often. My dragon LOVES nectarine. It's her favorite food. But she only gets one or two bites a week at most.

Hold a piece close to his mouth and allow him to do one of those testing licks and see if he likes it. That's how I introduced apples and nectarines to my girl. Held it close to her mouth, she took a lick and after realizing how tasty it was, she snapped it up.

A piece of fruit every few days will help keep him hydrated. Just be sure that you check which fruits are okay for a beardie to eat.

when i got mine she didnt poop for a couple days either, its just the stress and itll come. If they become sluggish and dont use their back legs thats when you need to go to a reptile vet

karmakollector

Original Poster
It came at the end of day 3, and now (day 4) there was a big fresh one waiting for me (first one seemed pretty dry/dehydrated, but not the second one), so he seems pretty comfortable and might become "regular" now

BadAtNamingThings":8n0qb078 said:
when i got mine she didnt poop for a couple days either, its just the stress and itll come. If they become sluggish and dont use their back legs thats when you need to go to a reptile vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom