Boundless energy!!!

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
My girl Amber has this endless strain of energy she wants to be outside her enclosure ALL day. She insist on jumping climbing and running around everywhere and she always scratches the sides in till I take her out. This is a VERY VERY new behavior and I can't a handle on her energy it's becoming wicked stressful. She also wants to be in my other bearded dragons enclosure (Chubbs) which is a no go (both females). She loves being outside in the sun and run around and naturally I bring both out to get exercise and sit in the sun weather permitted. Perhaps she is acting this way because I spoiled her being out in the sun every day? I feel like perhaps I should let her sit in her enclosure and not crack and feel bad and take her out

Note: When I say energy think of drinking 100 red bulls it's extremely bizarre for her

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My girl Amber has this endless strain of energy she wants to be outside her enclosure ALL day. She insist on jumping climbing and running around everywhere and she always scratches the sides in till I take her out. This is a VERY VERY new behavior and I can't a handle on her energy it's becoming wicked stressful. She also wants to be in my other bearded dragons enclosure (Chubbs) which is a no go (both females). She loves being outside in the sun and run around and naturally I bring both out to get exercise and sit in the sun weather permitted. Perhaps she is acting this way because I spoiled her being out in the sun every day? I feel like perhaps I should let her sit in her enclosure and not crack and feel bad and take her out

Note: When I say energy think of drinking 100 red bulls it's extremely bizarre for her
She should not be able to see Chubbs -- one reason for behavior-- what are your tank temps? What size tank is she in? What are you using for a UVB ? What is her surface basking temps they need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- all reasons for her behavior -- is she digging at all or just the glass surfing etc?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
She should not be able to see Chubbs -- one reason for behavior-- what are your tank temps? What size tank is she in? What are you using for a UVB ? What is her surface basking temps they need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- all reasons for her behavior -- is she digging at all or just the glass surfing etc?
Her basking is 100 ambient is 85 night temp is high 70s T5 arcadia bulb desert 12% a 4x2x2 120 gallon equivalent enclosure. When she is tired from all the running around she is fine and wiped out and will stay in her enclosure and bask. Her and Chubbs do the whole arm wave very fast head bob like they wanna mate and this only started with in the last 2 weeks. Before that she and Chubbs were docile and very chill no bob no waving no glass surfing or anything. I made a dog box but she (Amber) hasn't used it yet it's also outside the enclosure. I was thinking perhaps she needs a change maybe switch enclosures rearrange things and change it up the "decor" she is on is brand new. Only way they wouldn't see each other is if I was to put Chubbs in Ambers enclosure and vise versa.

She is done expelling energy so she is basking

Attachments

• 16556801602521261372503350002723.jpg
    16556801602521261372503350002723.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Her basking is 100 ambient is 85 night temp is high 70s T5 arcadia bulb desert 12% a 4x2x2 120 gallon equivalent enclosure. When she is tired from all the running around she is fine and wiped out and will stay in her enclosure and bask. Her and Chubbs do the whole arm wave very fast head bob like they wanna mate and this only started with in the last 2 weeks. Before that she and Chubbs were docile and very chill no bob no waving no glass surfing or anything. I made a dog box but she (Amber) hasn't used it yet it's also outside the enclosure. I was thinking perhaps she needs a change maybe switch enclosures rearrange things and change it up the "decor" she is on is brand new. Only way they wouldn't see each other is if I was to put Chubbs in Ambers enclosure and vise versa.

She is done expelling energy so she is basking
Dragons should not see each other it stresses them out -- switch enclosures??????????? Meaning put her in Chubbs tank and her in Ambers tank ? Not recommended - dragons pass diseases illnesses on to one another --- so you have surface basking temps of 100 and around that area is only 85? that should be in the 90's if that is the case -- is your UVB in the tank ? Distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor --- I am trying to narrow down the cause for the behavior? How old is the bulb?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Dragons should not see each other it stresses them out -- switch enclosures??????????? Meaning put her in Chubbs tank and her in Ambers tank ? Not recommended - dragons pass diseases illnesses on to one another --- so you have surface basking temps of 100 and around that area is only 85? that should be in the 90's if that is the case -- is your UVB in the tank ? Distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor --- I am trying to narrow down the cause for the behavior? How old is the bulb?
It's around 91.2 around the light were she was basking in the pic above I currently have a 100W basking bulb. I had a 150W but using it in Chubbs tank since her enclosure is closer to the floor and get's colder. The UVB is side by side with the basking bulb I'm thinking I can raise Chubbs enclosure so if I have Amber out they can't see each other. Because I think it may stress them out if I changed enclosures may be safer to raise it instead. The bulb is fairly new maybe 6 months old they last a year this behavior has happened when we thought Chubbs was a male. When we found out Chubbs was a female I didn't stop them from interacting since reproduction was off the table. This could be why Chubbs has been black bearding severely recently how do I stop them from being together when I take them both outside?

On second thought how would I go about switching enclosures? It may be a lot easier than to build Chubbs enclosure higher

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's around 91.2 around the light were she was basking in the pic above I currently have a 100W basking bulb. I had a 150W but using it in Chubbs tank since her enclosure is closer to the floor and get's colder. The UVB is side by side with the basking bulb I'm thinking I can raise Chubbs enclosure so if I have Amber out they can't see each other. Because I think it may stress them out if I changed enclosures may be safer to raise it instead. The bulb is fairly new maybe 6 months old they last a year this behavior has happened when we thought Chubbs was a male. When we found out Chubbs was a female I didn't stop them from interacting since reproduction was off the table. This could be why Chubbs has been black bearding severely recently how do I stop them from being together when I take them both outside? I know she (Chubbs) is a bit aggressive when Amber tries to go in her enclosure yet Chubbs doesn't have this energy like Amber
I would take them out at separate times -- they really shouldnt see each other at all -- I have two males in the same room but they are in Zens and sit next to each other facing me -- they cant see each other at all - I take them out one at a time -- even when I take them out they really dont see each other because I leave the room w/ them -- they have only seen each other once since I have had them and dummy me I was cleaning Blazes tank out set him in his carrier across from Hiccups tank on the printer and I have never seen Hiccups beard so black in all my life -- that was the end of that -- I have not done that since -- I would keep them from seeing each other and take them out at separate times -- you dont want the black bearding going on -- both my tanks are on stands one is a old dresser I got from a second hand store w/ drawers and the other is a more expensive one its a aquarium stand that has doors on it - most of the dragons stuff is in the dresser drawers like extra UVB bulbs and basking bulbs etc ---

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I would take them out at separate times -- they really shouldnt see each other at all -- I have two males in the same room but they are in Zens and sit next to each other facing me -- they cant see each other at all - I take them out one at a time -- even when I take them out they really dont see each other because I leave the room w/ them -- they have only seen each other once since I have had them and dummy me I was cleaning Blazes tank out set him in his carrier across from Hiccups tank on the printer and I have never seen Hiccups beard so black in all my life -- that was the end of that -- I have not done that since -- I would keep them from seeing each other and take them out at separate times -- you dont want the black bearding going on -- both my tanks are on stands one is a old dresser I got from a second hand store w/ drawers and the other is a more expensive one its a aquarium stand that has doors on it - most of the dragons stuff is in the dresser drawers like extra UVB bulbs and basking bulbs etc ---
Don't mind the greens been there since 3pm but this is their enclosures and has you can tell Amber is basking far right. I think I may need to build it higher, I'm really nervous about switching enclosures I want to but then I don't know if it will stress them out

Attachments

• 16556836948356369749081635060014.jpg
    16556836948356369749081635060014.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 69

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Don't mind the greens been there since 3pm but this is their enclosures and has you can tell Amber is basking far right. I think I may need to build it higher, I'm really nervous about switching enclosures I want to but then I don't know if it will stress them out
I would at raising Chubb's off the floor - look for a dresser at a second hand store - I paid $40 has been very useful- yes they will go thru relocation stress - why do you want to switch them

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I would at raising Chubb's off the floor - look for a dresser at a second hand store - I paid $40 has been very useful- yes they will go thru relocation stress - why do you want to switch them
Because Amber likes to jump from my bed to Chubbs tank and vice versa i just figured if Amber is gonna do that constantly I'm unsure raising it will make a difference. But maybe seeing Chubbs is making Amber act this way maybe raising it will make her change her behavior. This is just new to me I tossed everything out the window when I found out I had 2 females and didn't think they shouldn't see each other

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Because Amber likes to jump from my bed to Chubbs tank and vice versa i just figured if Amber is gonna do that constantly I'm unsure raising it will make a difference. But maybe seeing Chubbs is making Amber act this way maybe raising it will make her change her behavior. This is just new to me I tossed everything out the window when I found out I had 2 females and didn't think they shouldn't see each other
I would not let them be jumping too much of a risk for getting hurt - we just had a ladys dragon jumping and she is really hurt bad heres the thread BEARDIE FALL - PARALYZED? | Page 2 | Beardie ER | Bearded Dragon .org
I would eliminate the jumping and they should not be jumping from each others tanks -- I would figure something out where they are not seeing each other maybe separate rooms -- and get Chubbs tank off the floor --

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I would not let them be jumping too much of a risk for getting hurt - we just had a ladys dragon jumping and she is really hurt bad heres the thread BEARDIE FALL - PARALYZED? | Page 2 | Beardie ER | Bearded Dragon .org
I would eliminate the jumping and they should not be jumping from each others tanks -- I would figure something out where they are not seeing each other maybe separate rooms -- and get Chubbs tank off the floor --
My bedroom is the only place they can be Chubbs will definitely be off the floor I never thought anything of the jumping. Chubbs tank is maybe 10" at the most from my bed with long nails she clears it easily other than that they slide down my bed. Outside they don't climb on anything Amber is a explorer Chubbs is still iffy on being outside. I want Chubbs to move and run outside but she finds the shade or will hide under me Amber gets all the exercise lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My bedroom is the only place they can be Chubbs will definitely be off the floor I never thought anything of the jumping. Chubbs tank is maybe 10" at the most from my bed with long nails she clears it easily other than that they slide down my bed. Outside they don't climb on anything Amber is a explorer Chubbs is still iffy on being outside. I want Chubbs to move and run outside but she finds the shade or will hide under me Amber gets all the exercise lol
Can you set the tanks side by side?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Can you set the tanks side by side?
They are Amber is just higher since she is on my ball pythons enclosure and Chubbs is lower because she is just on a stand. Once I raise Chubbs she will be the same height as Ambers enclosure well maybe not that high but they won't see each other

Jessss

Hi!
How is she doing now? Are you sure both your girls are actually girls? If they are then it could be egg laying behaviour,scratching and wanting out can be signs she looking for somewhere to lay.If she turns out to be a he then he is trying to mate and get to the female,I have 2 boys and 2 girls,all try to get out to eachother to fight or mate.
It’s good you don’t allow them near eachother you shouldn’t at any point let them share a tank or even move between eachothers tanks,it wouldn’t be safe for them and could cause illness to spread.
Is she eating normally and having bowel movements normal for her? Although my boy lil bean is the same with wanting out sometimes,if he’s been allowed free range over the weekend he gets a bit restless when I’m at work as he wants to be like Dora the explora 😂
If she persists with the odd energy levels and behaviours I would take her to a qualified reptile vet for a check up just to be sure! Also be careful when cross handling your little ones,if she does have something else up it may pass on to the other girl.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi!
How is she doing now? Are you sure both your girls are actually girls? If they are then it could be egg laying behaviour,scratching and wanting out can be signs she looking for somewhere to lay.If she turns out to be a he then he is trying to mate and get to the female,I have 2 boys and 2 girls,all try to get out to eachother to fight or mate.
It’s good you don’t allow them near eachother you shouldn’t at any point let them share a tank or even move between eachothers tanks,it wouldn’t be safe for them and could cause illness to spread.
Is she eating normally and having bowel movements normal for her? Although my boy lil bean is the same with wanting out sometimes,if he’s been allowed free range over the weekend he gets a bit restless when I’m at work as he wants to be like Dora the explora 😂
If she persists with the odd energy levels and behaviours I would take her to a qualified reptile vet for a check up just to be sure! Also be careful when cross handling your little ones,if she does have something else up it may pass on to the other girl.
Well now I have a problem they BOTH want out and to explore BOTH of them do the mating dance. One mounts the other then bites the neck etc they are normally NEVER aggressive but they are. This is night and day constantly wanting out and exploring everywhere outside/inside all the tight spots too. I won't have a vet appointment till the 8th I'm thinking they are male/female or both female and wanna drop eggs yet I feel nothing (though I'm not a vet). They also have been pooping a good 2 times a day at least their energy is wild this is crazy

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom