Bondi

Hello Everyone,

I thought I'd reintroduce myself and my little orange guy. When I originally joined this group I had a baby beardie named Oz. Sadly he died shortly after we brought him home. We brought Bondi home pretty soon after. We've had him for a year now. He is still pretty timid but maybe that is just his personality. He just woke up from his first brumation which was pretty nerve-wracking but we made it through. He is enjoying hanging in the Christmas tree currently and hoping you are all having a lovely holiday season.

Attachments

• 20221212_125300.jpg
    20221212_125300.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 120

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello Everyone,

I thought I'd reintroduce myself and my little orange guy. When I originally joined this group I had a baby beardie named Oz. Sadly he died shortly after we brought him home. We brought Bondi home pretty soon after. We've had him for a year now. He is still pretty timid but maybe that is just his personality. He just woke up from his first brumation which was pretty nerve-wracking but we made it through. He is enjoying hanging in the Christmas tree currently and hoping you are all having a lovely holiday season.
Typically dragons do not brumate under a year old - the weight is not adequate enough to go thru brumation unless the dragon is over 300 grams- please go over your lighting UVB and your surface basking temps - those should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - NO coils for a UVB please-- sorry to hear about little Oz --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It took a minute to spot him lol, thats a good pic.

OztheDragon

Original Poster
Typically dragons do not brumate under a year old - the weight is not adequate enough to go thru brumation unless the dragon is over 300 grams- please go over your lighting UVB and your surface basking temps - those should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - NO coils for a UVB please-- sorry to hear about little Oz --
He is somewhere between 13 and 15 months. He slept for about 2 and a half months. I was worried it was a bit early but he seems to be doing ok.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He is somewhere between 13 and 15 months. He slept for about 2 and a half months. I was worried it was a bit early but he seems to be doing ok.
How much does he weigh? And your UVB your using? Anything off can send the dragon into a brumation type behavior --- but w/ him being young that is concerning- and under a year old as well --

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Welcome back and hello Bondi!

My girl did her first brumation at about 12 months old. Used a 12% Arcadia UVB tube light with reflector and a reptile heat lamp up to around 105F in the hot spot down to 80s on cool side. She brumates around her "hatch date" every year now. It would be great to know what lights you are using now. I even changed my girl's whole set up this year and she brumated at the same time and is still sleeping

OztheDragon

Original Poster
I use a 10.0 t5 UVB from zoo med. Its mounted inside his tank. His basking spot is around 96-99°, ambient temp on warm side around 80° degrees, and cool side with hide around 74°. Lately I've had to keep a water bowl in his enclosure so the humidity stays above 20% (usually between 25 and 30%). If you guys think his basking spot should be hotter I can bump it up a bit however he seems to avoid it if its to much above 100°. He doesn't seem to like 105°.

I took him to the vet because he hasnt been eating well since waking up and I was worried about that and dehydration. She said overall physically he looks good but did a fecal test and found pinworms so he's being treated for that now. Hopefully his appetite comes back soon. He is nearly a pound and the vet didn't seem very worried about his weight at this time. Is it easy for beardies to reinfect themselves? He has some wood/bark things and I'm not sure how to clean those so for now I've just removed them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I use a 10.0 t5 UVB from zoo med. Its mounted inside his tank. His basking spot is around 96-99°, ambient temp on warm side around 80° degrees, and cool side with hide around 74°. Lately I've had to keep a water bowl in his enclosure so the humidity stays above 20% (usually between 25 and 30%). If you guys think his basking spot should be hotter I can bump it up a bit however he seems to avoid it if its to much above 100°. He doesn't seem to like 105°.

I took him to the vet because he hasnt been eating well since waking up and I was worried about that and dehydration. She said overall physically he looks good but did a fecal test and found pinworms so he's being treated for that now. Hopefully his appetite comes back soon. He is nearly a pound and the vet didn't seem very worried about his weight at this time. Is it easy for beardies to reinfect themselves? He has some wood/bark things and I'm not sure how to clean those so for now I've just removed them.
Good in removing them and yes they can reinfect themselves- clean his tank w/ f10 or some rescue or zoo meds wipe out - use paper towels in the tank for now-- meds will affect the appetite - make sure your uvb is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - temps are good - is he eating at all?

OztheDragon

Original Poster
Good in removing them and yes they can reinfect themselves- clean his tank w/ f10 or some rescue or zoo meds wipe out - use paper towels in the tank for now-- meds will affect the appetite - make sure your uvb is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - temps are good - is he eating at all?
I have used zoo med wipe out in the tank and flukers cleaner on his bridge and cave. Can I use the wipe out on the other items too? He is the proper distance from his UVB and do you mean I can clean the wood items with wipe out too? He might eat a bug or two and won't even touch greens. Sometimes he goes a couple days without anything. If I have wax worms or solider fly larvae he seems to eat better. His appetite has been very lacking since he woke up.

OztheDragon

Original Poster
Also because he has pinworms should I not let him roam around my house? I've read some stuff that says he can't spread them to humans (is that true) but also wondered if that would be a way he could reinfect himself?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also because he has pinworms should I not let him roam around my house? I've read some stuff that says he can't spread them to humans (is that true) but also wondered if that would be a way he could reinfect himself?
I would keep the wood items out- they should be baked in the oven to kill the parasites but its best to leave them out all together -if you have some decor pieces that are like resin etc then use those because you can clean them w/ the disinfectant -- I would feed the BSFL if hes eating those - waxworms are like feeding candy and they arent very healthful - the BSFL are a better choice- I would keep him in his tank to be on the safe side - if he poops some where in the house and you dont see it its possible he could re infect himself if he goes back to the same spot -

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom