Body Condition Scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

gzambran

Hi! I just got my first beardie (he's also my first non-mammal pet ever!) last weekend. He is a month old, and about 6" long. I was just wondering if there is a standardized body condition score chart for bearded dragons which would be similar to the ones used for sheep, horses, cows etc. and if anyone knows where to find it. I want to keep him as healthy as possible and have him maintain a good body weight as he grows. I'm not sure if they store fat in their tails like geckos.. or if there are any other key anatomical points to look at for fat stores. He is currently a "rounded oval" shape with the sids of his belly extending about even with his stifles and elbows when standing. Does anyone know any key signs that they are getting too skinny? (eg bones you can palpate or changes in shape). Is there a danger to allowing them to eat free-choice and grow too quickly/ gain too much weight too fast? I appreciate any information since I'm brad-new to the world of reptiles. Thanks!

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
they have fat pads at the base of their tail so they should have a nice plump looking tail. i dont think there is a real deffinant weight all beardies grow differently so as long as you are feeding him correctly and keeping him hydrated he will be a happy healty beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom