Boa question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bss12090

I was thinking about picking up a Central American boa at an upcoming expo, I was wondering if the temperament varies a whole lot between males and females.

The more docile the better, if my girlfriend even hears about a snake that is going to get 6~ feet even THINKING about biting she wont go near it :roll:

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Floof

Juvie Member
As far as I'm aware, no, there isn't a temperament difference. The only thing to consider is if you're breeding them; that tends to cause a bad mood in both sexes... The female because she's carrying babies, and the male because he wants to MAKE babies. lol.

If your girl friend is concerned about a big snake, get a male. All the male boa constrictors stay smaller than their female counterparts. Also, look for a dwarf locality of BCI... Hogg Isle, Nicaraguan, and the Central American locales tend to stay 5 feet and under. Basically a boa in a small package! Nicaraguans stay especially small... I've seen fully grown males the size of a small female Ball python. Hogg Isles seem to be on the large side of the dwarfs, reaching 5'... I've even heard of some 7' Hogg Isle females (though I couldn't honestly tell you whether they were certifiably pure Hoggs or if they were HoggxColombian crosses).

From what I understand, there is a little bit of variation of temperament among the localities. The dwarfs tend toward being flightier and nippier, where the Colombians are more docile... Though that shouldn't be an issue if you pick a tame specimen and work with it on a regular basis.

There are some good boa constrictor forums around, you just have to look for them. I think Redtailboa.net is supposed to be pretty good? You'll definitely get better info from the serious and experienced boa keepers on a good forum than anywhere else. Even what I can tell you here is all second-hand information that I haven't double-checked on since the last time I owned a boa.

Good luck!

Aleu

Floof":1h41d4l5 said:
As far as I'm aware, no, there isn't a temperament difference. The only thing to consider is if you're breeding them; that tends to cause a bad mood in both sexes... The female because she's carrying babies, and the male because he wants to MAKE babies. lol.

If your girl friend is concerned about a big snake, get a male. All the male boa constrictors stay smaller than their female counterparts. Also, look for a dwarf locality of BCI... Hogg Isle, Nicaraguan, and the Central American locales tend to stay 5 feet and under. Basically a boa in a small package! Nicaraguans stay especially small... I've seen fully grown males the size of a small female Ball python. Hogg Isles seem to be on the large side of the dwarfs, reaching 5'... I've even heard of some 7' Hogg Isle females (though I couldn't honestly tell you whether they were certifiably pure Hoggs or if they were HoggxColombian crosses).

From what I understand, there is a little bit of variation of temperament among the localities. The dwarfs tend toward being flightier and nippier, where the Colombians are more docile... Though that shouldn't be an issue if you pick a tame specimen and work with it on a regular basis.

There are some good boa constrictor forums around, you just have to look for them. I think Redtailboa.net is supposed to be pretty good? You'll definitely get better info from the serious and experienced boa keepers on a good forum than anywhere else. Even what I can tell you here is all second-hand information that I haven't double-checked on since the last time I owned a boa.

Good luck!

Redtailboa.net is a good suggestion, Floof.

I have Hog Islands, Rainbows, Colombians, nics, and others. I will be adding Crawl or Caulkers Cay boa and also amarali (both are dwarf boas). My hogs are shyer than boas like the colombian BCI and the BCC, and obviously smaller. However, once you get them out, they relax and explore. I noticed they are clingy too (wanting to perch on you rather than move around a lot like a colombian, for example). Perhaps those are just mine though. The problem, as floof stated, is that MANY people cross breed them and it's difficult to get a pure line that is a true hog (and therefore one that will stay on the smaller side).

I would post on those boa forums and ask around for good breeders with pure lines. One recommendation I can make is Vin Russo Cutting Edge Herps. Not sure if he still breeds them though. I believe he has other localities though.

bss12090

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the info!
I ended up finding out one of my co workers breeds colombian BCI's, he was kind enough to give me an "employee" discount
so for a very healthy looking little male only set me back $30, which left me enough to get my girlfriend a nice little Albino tangerine milksnake :D
Now to see what the discount is on his Albinos :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom