Bloody Poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.E.W.T

So I’ve had my beardie for a month now. She was perfectly healthy, then we travelled home to my parents for a week and during that time her poops got smaller (she was still eating the same amount ) and then the last 2 days there was a bit of blood in the poop. We got home last night and she a had a larger poop than what I had been seeing but beside it there is a big blood spot. I was sleeping and found it this morning! Could it have been an impaction and she just removed it?? I’m worried for her! But she is acting completely normal and shedding! She’s drinking and eating and is quite alert!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 135

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I’ve had my beardie for a month now. She was perfectly healthy, then we travelled home to my parents for a week and during that time her poops got smaller (she was still eating the same amount ) and then the last 2 days there was a bit of blood in the poop. We got home last night and she a had a larger poop than what I had been seeing but beside it there is a big blood spot. I was sleeping and found it this morning! Could it have been an impaction and she just removed it?? I’m worried for her! But she is acting completely normal and shedding! She’s drinking and eating and is quite alert!
How big of the insects were fed? Has she laid eggs before? What kind of lighting are you using? Basking bulb? Brand and wattage please and how are you getting temps ? UVB what brand and bulb please and where in the tank is it?

K.E.W.T

Original Poster
She’s only 3 months old, so no eggs, we use the reptisun uvb long bulb, using a digital thermometer. Insects are large crickets. I’m going to watch her back to small crickets due to this to see if that helps. Her poop this morning had a little bit of blood but almost nothing so I’m thinking it is was just an impaction. We travelled 8 hours home and 8 hours back. So there might have been added stress to that.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just a little bit of urate along with some water passing through. Is she pooping multiple times a day like this? Or just once a day? Hopefully the blood is just from straining rather than anything more serious. I would offer more water via dropper (or dish if she drinks from one) and maybe a bit of baby food applesauce or squash (not a lot) to see if that helps move a possible impaction through. If the bleeding continues you might want to see a vet to check for possible blockage or other underlying issue.

K.E.W.T

Original Poster
It’s multiple times a day! She was refusing to eat crickets but she gobbled up horn worms yesterday so I think she’s just tired of crickets! She is also still eating her greens! I’ll try the baby apple sauce today! She’s still quite active and lively! She finished her shed last night as well after I gave her a bath! I’m going to try some worms for a little while to just switch it up for her see if that helps! Cause she really won’t eat the crickets anymore lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Trying soft worms like your hornworms or some black soldier fly larvae might be a good idea for now. If she is doing this multiple times a day, then she may be straining to push through a blockage. If that's the case, hopefully it will clear soon without incident. Keep an eye out for blue tint to the typically white urate which when combined with blood may indicate an organ issue that would need to be addressed.

K.E.W.T

Original Poster
She completely slowed down tonight when I got home, wasn’t eating, I gave her a little bit of apple sauce that she would take and I gave her a warm bath, she perked up a little bit but then after the bath she went right back to being lethargic… I’m so worried about her! I’m going to bring her to the doctors tomorrow… I don’t have a lot of money though and just to get her checked out is 110 dollars… she’s too little to die! I just want her to be okay 😢

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She completely slowed down tonight when I got home, wasn’t eating, I gave her a little bit of apple sauce that she would take and I gave her a warm bath, she perked up a little bit but then after the bath she went right back to being lethargic… I’m so worried about her! I’m going to bring her to the doctors tomorrow… I don’t have a lot of money though and just to get her checked out is 110 dollars… she’s too little to die! I just want her to be okay 😢
Her insects were to big -- she needs the size no bigger than the space between her eyes length wise-- feed her some canned pumpkin plain water it down add a drop of olive oil- she needs good basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- place on the spot where she sits for basking wait 10 minutes get temp good uvb no coils please this is going to help her out- these things I just posted are crucial

K.E.W.T

Original Poster
she pooped this morning! She’s super active and is quite alert! I fed her some some small mealworms and a horn worm this morning and some greens! She’s looking and feeling a lot better! I was so scared for her! Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and help! I’m going to be closely monitoring her today though just to make sure but she seems so much better!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
she pooped this morning! She’s super active and is quite alert! I fed her some some small mealworms and a horn worm this morning and some greens! She’s looking and feeling a lot better! I was so scared for her! Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and help! I’m going to be closely monitoring her today though just to make sure but she seems so much better!
Please No more meal worms they are too harsh on the stomach -- the exoskeleton can cause impaction -- please feed her some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com do not dust them -- feed as many as you want on top of her salads they are great salad lures and staple feeder -- please get her some dubiaroaches they are a good compliment to the BSFL and more filling -- www.dubiaroaches.com make sure you look at the chart for the size -- horn worms are good for hydration -- make sure your dusting the roaches w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated -- what brand and bulb is the UVB? The bulb will make a difference of where it is placed and the distance

K.E.W.T

Original Poster
I live in Canada… those roaches are illegal to have… I can get them packaged but she doesn’t like dead insects… and she’s not eating crickets but she will eat horn worms so we are eating that… until I can find something for her that she will eat. The bulb is a reptisun light, it’s the 10.0

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I live in Canada… those roaches are illegal to have… I can get them packaged but she doesn’t like dead insects… and she’s not eating crickets but she will eat horn worms so we are eating that… until I can find something for her that she will eat. The bulb is a reptisun light, it’s the 10.0
coil or tube? here is a website for insects --- try getting some silkworms or some BSFL for her but I need to know the UVB your using and where in the tank is it NO coils please

K.E.W.T

Original Poster
It’s not a coil.

Attachments

• 32C99CA6-0555-4EF2-ACCD-68A27154E480.jpeg
    32C99CA6-0555-4EF2-ACCD-68A27154E480.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 75
  • BED6F861-5D0C-4005-AAE5-837C06BBF545.jpeg
    BED6F861-5D0C-4005-AAE5-837C06BBF545.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 79

K.E.W.T

Original Poster
I know that screens can filter the uvb out. I’m working on trying to figure out how to hang it in the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom