Blood upon antibiotic injection

mbklann

Original Poster
My 11/12 year old beardie was treated for an abscess by lancing it, and now twice daily application of 1% silver sulfadiazine cream & an inter muscular injection by me every 3 days of 0.1 ml ceftazidime. Today he moved during the injection & there was a bit of blood at the site. Did I miss the muscle? How bad is this - should I be worried? Also, the vet is recommending surgery to remove what might be left of the abscess after the round of antibiotics. I’m hesitant. Thoughts? TIA

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My 11/12 year old beardie was treated for an abscess by lancing it, and now twice daily application of 1% silver sulfadiazine cream & an inter muscular injection by me every 3 days of 0.1 ml ceftazidime. Today he moved during the injection & there was a bit of blood at the site. Did I miss the muscle? How bad is this - should I be worried? Also, the vet is recommending surgery to remove what might be left of the abscess after the round of antibiotics. I’m hesitant. Thoughts? TIA
We need drache613 to advise- she's our vet tech mod
@Drache613

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
I have given many of those injections. I can maybe help. Are you pulling back on the needle slightly once in the skin to ensure you are not in a vein? If so, and a little drop of blood is all you see after the injection, then this is normal and does happen sometimes. I had to give this to my one dragon for 9 months, and another for a month. Both would sometimes have a drop or two of blood after injection. The main thing is to ensure that you are pulling back on the plunger to ensure you are not drawing blood, if that happens you are in a vein. If not, then you are good to go, and some blood is normal.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, where are you giving the injection? As Bayoupig5 stated, you can slightly pull back on the
needle to be sure you haven't hit a vein before continuing.
Where is the abscess located? It depends on how severe the abscess was & whether or not it
spread as to whether or not surgery should be done. He is older so there are more risks associated
with anesthesia.
How is his appetite?

Tracie

mbklann

Original Poster
Hello,

Yes, where are you giving the injection? As Bayoupig5 stated, you can slightly pull back on the
needle to be sure you haven't hit a vein before continuing.
Where is the abscess located? It depends on how severe the abscess was & whether or not it
spread as to whether or not surgery should be done. He is older so there are more risks associated
with anesthesia.
How is his appetite?

Tracie

mbklann

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply! His abscess is on his upper chest. Before the lancing his appetite was fine, but ever since he isn’t interested in his normal diet of mustard greens & veggies. He is still eating crickets & superworms. I’ve also been feeding him some critical care. He’s been put on a pain med & a daily diluted chlorhexidine bath. I have an appointment with my regular vet (who had been out of town) on Thursday. We’ll see how it goes. He isn’t healing well even from this so I don’t think surgery is a good option either.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,
Oh so how is his upper chest looking now?
Are you putting antibiotic ointment or raw unpasteurized honey on the area? I agree, at the moment,
if he isn't healing up quite yet I wouldn't do surgery either.
Is he not eating much right now? Does he like the critical care?

Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom