Blood panel came back good....Wait what???

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
We took our beardie Shenron to the University of Illinois yesterday to confirm it was time to put him down. He has been very ill for a long time with gout among other things. The exotic vet agreed that he was not at all well and he ordered bloodwork. This morning we got the results and were pretty surprised to see that everything on the test was good. Even his uric acid level is down to 5. He does have a mass in the back of the throat that is worrisome but his kidneys aren't failing, his uric acid is good and he does not have mbd either. So the next step is a CT scan. He is not out of the woods by any means but he's in better shape than we thought. This was very unexpected. We were planning on putting him down today.

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
That's really great to hear his blood work came back encouraging. I know there's still a lot to be concerned about with the mass in his throat, and man I wish you guys the best of luck with that

He's so lucky to have you bending over backwards to give him every chance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We took our beardie Shenron to the University of Illinois yesterday to confirm it was time to put him down. He has been very ill for a long time with gout among other things. The exotic vet agreed that he was not at all well and he ordered bloodwork. This morning we got the results and were pretty surprised to see that everything on the test was good. Even his uric acid level is down to 5. He does have a mass in the back of the throat that is worrisome but his kidneys aren't failing, his uric acid is good and he does not have mbd either. So the next step is a CT scan. He is not out of the woods by any means but he's in better shape than we thought. This was very unexpected. We were planning on putting him down today.
It's good you got a second opinion please post the blood work so Tracie can chime in -

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Omg that made my day, we are all still 100% in his corner!!!
It's obvious you love him very much, i hope this has a happy ending.

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
That's really great to hear his blood work came back encouraging. I know there's still a lot to be concerned about with the mass in his throat, and man I wish you guys the best of luck with that

He's so lucky to have you bending over backwards to give him every chance.
Thanks! He's family

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
Fabulous news! So very happy to hear this...been rooting for your guy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow that is promising news! Bless him. Shenron is really trying, what a trooper. Definitely
post the blood test results if you can, that would be great.
If they can do a CT scan & try to determine what is going on, hopefully it is treatable. He is
a lucky little one to have you helping him!

Tracie

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

Wow that is promising news! Bless him. Shenron is really trying, what a trooper. Definitely
If they can do a CT scan & try to determine what is going on, hopefully it is treatable. He is

Tracie
Thank you! I will have a copy of his labs Monday but his Uric acid went from 12 to 5.5 so that's good at least. One thing we've noticed though is no matter how much fluids he drink he always looks dehydrated and it all comes out when he poops. His fat pads have been sunken in for a long time. We were expecting to see bad kidneys but those were fine and calcium to phosphate ratio is go to say he doesn't have mbd if im quoting right. We have the option of the CT scan or to biopsy the mass. Neither are cheap so we are going to try to get a loan to do the CT scan. That's what the exotic vet said would be more helpful but the regular vet says it won't tell what anything is. Anyway thanks as always and I'll get those labs posted asap

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

Tracie
Also forgot to mention, they think the mass in his throat is an aneurysm, abcess or tumor. The thing is he's still very ill and not getting better. I fear in the next week or so I will have to make the decision before I know what's even wrong. He can barely drag himself anymore. He can't really do anything on his own and I would take care of him this way indefinitely but I fear he's begging to suffer.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is really too bad, he sure is fighting though. I wonder what has caused him to not be able to
get around very well, poor guy. I feel terrible for you both having to go through all of this.
If it is one of those scenarios, they probably wont be able to remove it because he would have to
go through anesthesia, which is hard on their system if they aren't relatively strong.
Please let us know how he is doing. We are all thinking about him.

Tracie

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

That is really too bad, he sure is fighting though. I wonder what has caused him to not be able to
get around very well, poor guy. I feel terrible for you both having to go through all of this.
If it is one of those scenarios, they probably wont be able to remove it because he would have to
go through anesthesia, which is hard on their system if they aren't relatively strong.
Please let us know how he is doing. We are all thinking about him.

Tracie
His mobility issues seem to have been from the initial damage that the gout did. He has become a lot more stiff too but doesn't have mbd. Here is the email I was sent. This should be everything but the blood panel. Let me know what you think please.

Attachments

• 957547.pdf
    118.4 KB · Views: 46

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom