Blood in poo, not prasites

Beardie name(s)
Dusty
Hi guys,

I wanted to get some advice in my situation. Occasionally over the past few weeks, Dusty has shown blood in his otherwise healthy looking poo. I already had him tested for both pinworms and coccidia, both of which came back negative. The vet still advised giving him the meds they sent with me, along with another dose in a couple weeks. Nothing has changed.
Aside from the blood, he seems completely healthy - eats a ton of both dubias and his collards, is active and basking, drinks water in his baths. He doesn’t look like he is even straining to go. Temps are normal range of 90-110 in hot spot, 80 in cool. Recently checked his UVB and it’s still good.
My questions are: what else could this be from? Should I go get a second opinion? Even if it was a parasite that didn’t show up on the test, wouldn’t the meds have taken care of them? Thanks for your help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi guys,

I wanted to get some advice in my situation. Occasionally over the past few weeks, Dusty has shown blood in his otherwise healthy looking poo. I already had him tested for both pinworms and coccidia, both of which came back negative. The vet still advised giving him the meds they sent with me, along with another dose in a couple weeks. Nothing has changed.
Aside from the blood, he seems completely healthy - eats a ton of both dubias and his collards, is active and basking, drinks water in his baths. He doesn’t look like he is even straining to go. Temps are normal range of 90-110 in hot spot, 80 in cool. Recently checked his UVB and it’s still good.
My questions are: what else could this be from? Should I go get a second opinion? Even if it was a parasite that didn’t show up on the test, wouldn’t the meds have taken care of them? Thanks for your help!
I would not of given the med to him -- if he came back neg for the parasites nothing should of been given - flagging to AHBD and Drache613
@AHBD
@Drache613

Dusty bearded dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dusty
I would not of given the med to him -- if he came back neg for the parasites nothing should of been given - flagging to AHBD and Drache613
@AHBD
@Drache613
Ahh.. I wondered why they told me to keep giving them to him. When I took him in, they sent him home with stuff right away before getting the test results back. Not sure if that’s normal or not. I just looked up the meds - it’s called pyrantel pamoate (gen), if that means anything. Hopefully it didn’t mess him up further.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ahh.. I wondered why they told me to keep giving them to him. When I took him in, they sent him home with stuff right away before getting the test results back. Not sure if that’s normal or not. I just looked up the meds - it’s called pyrantel pamoate (gen), if that means anything. Hopefully it didn’t mess him up further.
I have never heard of that but Drache613 can tell you more shes our vet tech mod on here

Dusty bearded dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dusty
Next time he has blood in his poo post a pic. Are you positive it's not berries or any red food ?
Ok, I’ll see if I can catch it tomorrow - he usually goes before I leave for work but sometimes after. I’m fairly certain it’s blood - it’s bright red and turns brown by the end of the day. Usually comes out at the end after the poo part.

Dusty bearded dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dusty
So, unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get a recent picture of Dusty’s poo. He went today but there was no blood. I did find this old picture of it though, so hopefully this helps get an idea of what is happening. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• C6A5A588-E3BA-4B33-89E1-888F4296AF80.jpeg
    C6A5A588-E3BA-4B33-89E1-888F4296AF80.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 78

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom