Blood in beardies poop

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
So I got my baby beardie about 2-3 weeks ago. He’s been fine. But the other day I noticed there was blood in his poop, well he poops and a little blood comes out after. He is acting completely normal, and still has an appetite. But the a day or two before this started he did get super hungry and ate 2x the amount he normally wants to eat, and the crickets were a be bigger then normal, (still within his eye distance) and the poop that first started this was much bigger then normal. Could he have had to push a little harder and got a little tear?

Kat8884

Beardie name(s)
Little Miss Poppins
So I got my baby beardie about 2-3 weeks ago. He’s been fine. But the other day I noticed there was blood in his poop, well he poops and a little blood comes out after. He is acting completely normal, and still has an appetite. But the a day or two before this started he did get super hungry and ate 2x the amount he normally wants to eat, and the crickets were a be bigger then normal, (still within his eye distance) and the poop that first started this was much bigger then normal. Could he have had to push a little harder and got a little tear?
I would get a parasite test done (unless you already done 1 since you got him)
Has he had any red food? strawberry, pepper etc?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its possible that the insects caused some tearing but please make sure your not feeding over size bugs- it can cause impaction -- Are you feeding salads as well as the insects? He needs salads every day - I would get him some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com add those to the tops of his salads - they are a great staple feeder for babies - feed as many as you want as they are a small larvae and a great compliment to the staple insect- I would recommend you switch over to dubia roaches - crickets are a dirty feeder and can cause parasites - if the poop is formed dark and moist and the urate is white formed and moist its good poop - its when it gets really runny and smells really bad then its possible parasites - how old is the dragon ? Also make sure you have good lighting - no coils for UVB and good surface basking temps 105-110 for a baby and being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
When I had this issue it came from him straining when pooping. I would recommend a lil bit of unsweetened apple sauce to help him poop and see if that helps.

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Its possible that the insects caused some tearing but please make sure your not feeding over size bugs- it can cause impaction -- Are you feeding salads as well as the insects? He needs salads every day - I would get him some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com add those to the tops of his salads - they are a great staple feeder for babies - feed as many as you want as they are a small larvae and a great compliment to the staple insect- I would recommend you switch over to dubia roaches - crickets are a dirty feeder and can cause parasites - if the poop is formed dark and moist and the urate is white formed and moist its good poop - its when it gets really runny and smells really bad then its possible parasites - how old is the dragon ? Also make sure you have good lighting - no coils for UVB and good surface basking temps 105-110 for a baby and being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -
Yeah I have a ceramic heat emitter for him, he’s about 2-4 months going by his size and I have thermometers and heat guns and I test and it’s always 107-110, but all the dubias I can find are too big for him, and his poop is perfect otherwise, since the other day it’s been less blood, and I try to get him to eat salad but he refuses to eat it.

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I would get a parasite test done (unless you already done 1 since you got him)
Has he had any red food? strawberry, pepper etc?
Unfortunately it’s not red from coloring, he poops perfectly and then a little blood after. Also, can I buy a parasite test or do I have to take him to the vet for it, I totally will take him to one, it’s just really hard to find vets, because they typically will only have one vet at the clinic that will take a beardie and they are super booked up.

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
When I had this issue it came from him straining when pooping. I would recommend a lil bit of unsweetened apple sauce to help him poop and see if that helps.
Is that ok to give him, going by his size he’s very young maybe 3-4 months?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is that ok to give him, going by his size he’s very young maybe 3-4 months?
Cut the dubias in half put them on top of his salads- please order from here www.dubuaroaches.com they will have the size you need- go by their chart please-- I would get him some nutri grubs from there as well order large they are a small larvae - good staple feeder for babies- put them on top of his salads as well nice compliment to the dubias-

Kat8884

Beardie name(s)
Little Miss Poppins
Unfortunately it’s not red from coloring, he poops perfectly and then a little blood after. Also, can I buy a parasite test or do I have to take him to the vet for it, I totally will take him to one, it’s just really hard to find vets, because they typically will only have one vet at the clinic that will take a beardie and they are super booked up.
I'm sure you can buy them on line, then take results to the vets.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
Blood in the stool is definitely worth investigating. The safest bet is to get a fecal examination by a vet.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Rainbowmealworms.net sells parasite tests for reptiles on their website for $25.00.

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
You seem very knowledgeable so I figured I’d let you know, so I’m very stupid for not knowing this, but I noticed his cloaca
You seem very knowledgeable so I figured I would tell you, I have figured out what is wrong, I think. Honestly I’m dumb for thinking this, but ever since I got him his cloaca or rectum? It pops out when he uses the bathroom but then it goes back in so I didn’t think anything of it. I watched some videos because I wondered if it was normal or not. So I’m assuming he has a prolapse?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I responded on your other thread, too. It doesn't sound like a prolapse but if you have a picture, that
might help. It can be normal to go out when he goes to the bathroom then go back in.

Tracie

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

I responded on your other thread, too. It doesn't sound like a prolapse but if you have a picture, that
might help. It can be normal to go out when he goes to
i read some places that it could be coming out because he’s pooping some big poops, he is eating a lot more then he’s used to, I work at the store I got him from and found out they only feed the baby’s 7 crickets a day, so of course when I got him I fixed that, could giving him some organic baby food help? Ya know soften it up? Make it easier for him to pass?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom